Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying to IEC as an Irish passport holder from the north

Options
  • 29-10-2013 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am planning to go to Canada after Christmas and have some questions about applying to the IEC as an Irish passport holder from the north. I've searched the forum but can't seem to find the answers to these questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Firstly, do I have to get a Garda cert or one from the PSNI? Or should I apply for both just to be on the safe side? Also, can I make the payment in Stage 1 in sterling? The visa costs 100 euro for Irish applicants or 120 pounds sterling for the UK version. Can I pay for the Irish one in sterling or would it be a good idea to set up an Irish bank account and use it to pay in euros? Don't want to miss out over something as stupid as messing up the payment.

Thanks very much for reading,
    Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

Marko10 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am planning to go to Canada after Christmas and have some questions about applying to the IEC as an Irish passport holder from the north. I've searched the forum but can't seem to find the answers to these questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Firstly, do I have to get a Garda cert or one from the PSNI? Or should I apply for both just to be on the safe side? Also, can I make the payment in Stage 1 in sterling? The visa costs 100 euro for Irish applicants or 120 pounds sterling for the UK version. Can I pay for the Irish one in sterling or would it be a good idea to set up an Irish bank account and use it to pay in euros? Don't want to miss out over something as stupid as messing up the payment.

Thanks very much for reading,
    Mark

Im from the north on a Irish passport as well Mark its a pretty straight forward process.

do I have to get a Garda cert or one from the PSNI? You apply for a police report through http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx its through the main UK crowd but its straight forward and takes about 2-3weeks depending on the backlog. Be best to apply for this inside the first week of Jan. Think its 40 quid!

Also, can I make the payment in Stage 1 in sterling? Yes just go into the bank when the payment is due and explian what its for. They will work out the rate and charge u that in Sterling. Cant remember how much mine was. No need to set up a account in the south.

The payment details are confusing when it comes to including the correct information on the transfer and the information you upload through the IEC Kompass account, but theirs plenty of help on this forum about it.

If you have ne more questions shout away I will try my best to answer them!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Marko10

Scruffy19 wrote: »
    Im from the north on a Irish passport as well Mark its a pretty straight forward process.

do I have to get a Garda cert or one from the PSNI? You apply for a police report through http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx its through the main UK crowd but its straight forward and takes about 2-3weeks depending on the backlog. Be best to apply for this inside the first week of Jan. Think its 40 quid!

Also, can I make the payment in Stage 1 in sterling? Yes just go into the bank when the payment is due and explian what its for. They will work out the rate and charge u that in Sterling. Cant remember how much mine was. No need to set up a account in the south.

The payment details are confusing when it comes to including the correct information on the transfer and the information you upload through the IEC Kompass account, but theirs plenty of help on this forum about it.

If you have ne more questions shout away I will try my best to answer them!

Thanks Scruffy! That's great. You enjoying it over there? Was just wondering do you get a conditional place and then have a certain amount of time to pay or do you have to make the payment before you are allocated a conditional place?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

Marko10 wrote: »
    Thanks Scruffy! That's great. You enjoying it over there? Was just wondering do you get a conditional place and then have a certain amount of time to pay or do you have to make the payment before you are allocated a conditional place?

When you fill in the questionnaire on the for the IEC, it will give you a WTN number at the end (providing that you fill it in before the numbers run out), this number will be valid for x amount of time (think its 3 months). This will keep you a space for the visa. Then once you make the payment you move onto stage 2, once you finish that you will either be accepted or refused depending on your personal information i.e police report is clean etc etc... Its pretty straight forward.
    Once you get the WTN number you will be fine. All the information is on the PDF files they send you.

Yeah its pretty good, just takes a bit of time getting settled and stuff but once you do, you will be grand. Vancouver is pretty awesome place, theirs so much things to do. The summer was brilliant, pretty much high 20's or low 30's for about 40 days straight. The nightlife kinda sucks tho, they don't really have a proper nightclub in the city (well that i've found yet) but still beats going out in Newry any way :D:D

Where you planning on heading too?

Thanks Scruffy. That's great. In the process of getting everything prepared for the opening. Haha, have had many a night out in Newry myself :) Have heard so many good things about Vancouver!But planning to go to Calgary myself. Seems to be the best place to go for construction work.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Newry men? Good god. So am I ha.

Mark, I sent my Police Check forms away on Monday past. I just paid for the Standard Service and UK next day delivery for when the check is ready to be posted back to me. £54!

You get yours sent away yet?

Dave

• Advertisement

No Dave, Tyrone man. But have had numerous nights out in Newry! :) Haven't got mine sent away yet. Left the photo into my doctor today to get it signed. Soon as I get it back I'll send it on. £54..steep enough. Has to be done though!

Advertisement