Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Restrictions over the next week

Options
  • 29-10-2013 9:36pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Heads up, looks like there could be late night/early morning water restrictions until next Monday, possibly further.
    Householders in Dublin are being advised to conserve water levels as they are likely to lose water supply in the coming nights.

The four local authorities in the capital are imposing nightly restrictions from 8pm tomorrow night in an attempt to restore levels.

It follows a serious production problem at the Ballymore Eustace Water Treatment Plant.

The restrictions, which run until 7am in the morning, are likely to remain in place until at least next Monday and will be reviewed on a daily basis.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dublin-residents-asked-conserve-water-over-supply-fears-611590.html

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Delta2113

We are getting more and more like a third world country every day. We better pray that we don't have a cold winter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

At times like this I'm glad I live in an area that was previously part of a hospital campus...no water cuts as they never cut the hospital off.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭chrisp2281

Just wondering a few things here. Can I turn on my heating after 8 in the evening for example? Would there be enough water stored in the tank for 2 showers in the morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

chrisp2281 wrote: »
    Just wondering a few things here. Can I turn on my heating after 8 in the evening for example? Would there be enough water stored in the tank for 2 showers in the morning?

Heating not affected as it doesn't use up new water - just heats what's in your system.

A heated tank should have enough for 2 quick showers alright - but maybe set the immersion to come on for a half hour before you get up to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭chrisp2281

Thanks a million. What a pain in the arse this is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

My immersion comes on for a few hours in the middle of the night. Is it safe to keep it on, provided we don't have showers after 8pm? I'd have to have a shower before 7am to be ready in time for work though, but I presume it will be ok since there'll be water in the tank anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

My immersion comes on for a few hours in the middle of the night. Is it safe to keep it on, provided we don't have showers after 8pm? I'd have to have a shower before 7am to be ready in time for work though, but I presume it will be ok since there'll be water in the tank anyway?

I'm pretty sure you're fine. Turning on the immersion isn't using any water, merely heating it.

It's if someone has a long shower at 10 in the evening and then you try have one in the morning you might run into difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

As if the people on the morning bus and Luas weren't smelly enough.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Delta2113 wrote: »
    We are getting more and more like a third world country every day. We better pray that we don't have a cold winter!

Yes with the starvation and drought and slow broadband speeds. Exactly like a 3rd world country

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Scandalous tbh, instead of investing millions into water meters they could at least sort the water system and then introduce the meters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I think despite them saying it will start at 8, it has already started. My pressure is awful in Dublin 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

Considering it's only October I can't imagine what will happen in December/January, especially if we get snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Loads of water here in Cork like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Any sign of electricity or soap down there yet?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Comical that this has happened (again) during that "web summit" thing I heard RTE radio on about this morning...seems to be a regular occurrence in Dublin now; supply must really be on a knife edge and if someone farts in the wrong place in a treatment plant or sits on the wrong pipe the water restrictions come in.

Wonder what the story is for water intensive industries setting up here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Still have full pressure here in Clondalkin beside Newlands X.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Pressure down in D6.. Wondering if this will have any effect on the heating?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

novarock wrote: »
    Pressure down in D6.. Wondering if this will have any effect on the heating?

Central heating systems are closed circuits essentially, you should have no issues so long as there are no leaks in the system. Even at that a boiler should shutdown when water pressure is detected to be too low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

As if the people on the morning bus and Luas weren't smelly enough.....

Are you a user of said transport in the mornings?

Pressure was ok in Finglas last evening at about 22:30

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Plasid

Loads of water here in Cork like

Flooded again? Stick some in a bottle and post it up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

This water shortage is hilarious to be honest if it wasn't serious. You cannot built 90-100 thousand houses every year and not invest in other utilities such as water and electricity to meet demand, its not rocket science.

I'm with the EU/IMF on water charges so that Ireland makes the necessary investment in the infrastructure in the future. We already import electricity from the UK because we cannot generate sufficient power for ourselves. Some of that power is nuclear generated but we seem to ignore that when we flick on the light switch. High time we grew a pair and matured as a nation and took responsibility for what our country needs and become energy self sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭padraig.od

This water shortage is hilarious to be honest if it wasn't serious. You cannot built 90-100 thousand houses every year and not invest in other utilities such as water and electricity to meet demand, its not rocket science.

I'm with the EU/IMF on water charges so that Ireland makes the necessary investment in the infrastructure in the future. We already import electricity from the UK because we cannot generate sufficient power for ourselves. Some of that power is nuclear generated but we seem to ignore that when we flick on the light switch. High time we grew a pair and matured as a nation and took responsibility for what our country needs and become energy self sufficient.

wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

padraig.od wrote: »
    wrong

You will find the Engineers Ireland (IEI) reports will tell you different, so please back up your statement with something more constructive than a one word reply unless your are looking for the Boards.ie record number of posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its a different type of water coming into the system thats causing the problem was another excuse trotted out this morning

did you ever hear such sh1te:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Let's hope they don't get water from the Shannon, they'd wreck the river in under a year the muppets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

"It's been raining in Ireland for thousands of years,"
    "We've been well able to deal with shortages of water and surpluses of water."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

If it wasn't for my cat, I'd be packing for Galway (2 bottles of Jameson, 2 changes underpants) right about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

YFlyer wrote: »
    It's been raining in Ireland for thousands of years

Yeah, but apparently it's raining 'the wrong type of water'?!? Poor Kenny, someone should stop the man from talking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

diddlybit wrote: »
    Yeah, but apparently it's raining 'the wrong type of water'?!? Poor Kenny, someone should stop the man from talking.

Yeah, we should bring bertie the legend back.

Advertisement