Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Restrictions over the next week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

diddlybit wrote: »

FFS, I'm not even home from work by then. Ridiculous :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

FFS, I'm not even home from work by then. Ridiculous :mad:

It's fairly ridiculous. And apparently when they switch it back on at seven, it can take up to two hours to reach the taps. So it you work nine to five, including commuting time, you only have the water in the tank.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Rightwing wrote: »
    Let's hope they don't get water from the Shannon, they'd wreck the river in under a year the muppets

Bord na Mona have a project ongoing to do just that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

YFlyer wrote: »
    "It's been raining in Ireland for thousands of years,"
    "We've been well able to deal with shortages of water and surpluses of water."

The third highest paid 'leader' in the EU, & that's the best he could come up with. Astonishing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Anybody else getting this today

Got a slight smell to it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Gatling wrote: »

Got a slight smell to it

Sean O'Rourke had a restaurant owner on the radio 1 this morning complaining of the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Is it confirmed then for 6pm tonight? There was someone on the radio early this morning saying contrary to rumour, the switch off will be at 8pm...

Myrddin wrote: »
    Is it confirmed then for 6pm tonight? There was someone on the radio early this morning saying contrary to rumour, the switch off will be at 8pm...

No update on Dublun City Council website yet

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

Gatling wrote: »

Got a slight smell to it

http://www.thejournal.ie/water-restrictions-dublin-4-1154241-Oct2013/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Myrddin wrote: »

I can't find any confirmation that it will be cut from 6PM tonight, anyone seen an actual statement from the council?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Are we any the wiser yet on what the exact cause is of this problem? I don't buy the "wrong type of water" line. Water is water.

What, then, is the actual cause of this?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

While we were previously told there was no problem with water quality, now it appears we should be cautious.
    It warned anyone seeing a brown, orange or yellow tinge that it should not be used for drinking or cooking.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dublin-households-warned-do-not-drink-dirty-water-611769.html

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

While we were previously told there was no problem with water quality, now it appears we should be cautious.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dublin-households-warned-do-not-drink-dirty-water-611769.html

water coming out of the taps in the parents house this morning was dark brown

Fingal County Council have just tweeted that the water is goin gof at 8 tonight again. No exact time known though as the pressure is reduced gradually,

What is the exact cause of this problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

Bog politicians who can't seem to understand that an urban area needs continuation of supply..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭markpb

Council engineers are still investigating the cause, but believe the recent heavy rain has made the reservoir water more difficult to treat at the plant. A council spokesperson said that although the incoming water is still of a satisfactory quality, its constituent characteristics have changed. The council said the quality of water being supplied to homes has not been compromised.

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Dublin City Engineer Michael Phillips said: "The characteristics of water change from season to season, they normally operate within a certain band. We haven't experienced this, in this plant, over the past 20 years. "So whether it's due to the weather or the climate we do not know."

Take from that what you want.

Thats creepy, especially for the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭tom_k

I can't find any confirmation that it will be cut from 6PM tonight, anyone seen an actual statement from the council?

The Independent stated today that according to Dublin City Council the supply could be cut from 6pm today.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dublin-and-leinster-are-literally-running-out-of-water-senator-warns-29713391.html

Dublin CC's own website states that it will be cut from 8pm...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

In the immortal words of Fr. Jack: "More Water"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,437 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And we're cut-off again for the last few hours. Dishwasher stopped working. Washing machine stopped working. Kids got sparkling water from a bottle as their night time drink

In a green clean (environment) country that is very thinly populated and has plenty of rain. Will probably be on the news in other European countries. Pretty embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I'm going to speculate here that the recent very heavy downpours have washed a lot of tannins from the bogs around the reservoir into the lake. DCC have said the problems stem from a change in water quality entering their treatment works. Tannin is extremely difficult to remove from water, and if there are elevated levels beyond the design limits of the system this means that the water has to sit in the tanks for longer to get an acceptable quality.

If this is the case then unfortunately there is no quick fix. You have to wait for the raw supply water to improve or build a larger works with more treatment beds.

I have reiterate that I'm only speculating here. Its been disappointing that DCC have not given the public any technical information on what the problem is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

There's a new reservoir needed, as well as other water infrastructure works. Hopefully this provides the impetus that's needed to begin working on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Water didn't go off at all last night,but it's been completely off here since 9pm or so.

Joke of a country,doubt things will improve when the water tax comes in either.

Wonder how it would affect the Fire Brigade if an apartment block went up or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Guys I feel sorry for you good folk up there in Dublin. Considering that your water is coming from a reservoir with a brand new control room in Ballymore Eustace.

The problem on the site is not of natures making. It is man made, what you are not been told has a lot to do with a certain trade union.

kub wrote: »
    Guys I feel sorry for you good folk up there in Dublin. Considering that your water is coming from a reservoir with a brand new control room in Ballymore Eustace.

The problem on the site is not of natures making. It is man made, what you are not been told has a lot to do with a certain trade union.

If its a trade union dispute then why are water chemistry experts being brought over from the UK to help out?

If its a trade union dispute then why are water chemistry experts being brought over from the UK to help out?

Did you see these people?

Did you see these people?

Are you seriously suggesting is a conspiracy?

As a side note production at Balymore Eustace has only fallen by 20% Really shows how close to the edge Dublin is when it comes to water supply.

Are you seriously suggesting is a conspiracy?

As a side note production at Balymore Eustace has only fallen by 20% Really shows how close to the edge Dublin is when it comes to water supply.

No conspiracy just BS. A new control room which has different operation procedures than the old one and the union are kicking up.
    That is all I can say on the matter I hope that the media can actually discover the real cause of this soon.

• Advertisement

No conspiracy just BS. A new control room which has different operation procedures than the old one and the union are kicking up.
    That is all I can say on the matter I hope that the media can actually discover the real cause of this soon.

That doesn't make any sense. While there may be a new control room with new procedures if it was a union issue then why would DCC be taking all the flak? If what you're saying is true it would be in DCC's interests to be open about the problem as the union would have zero support in the city.

Advertisement