Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Restrictions over the next week

Options

Comments

There's a new reservoir needed, as well as other water infrastructure works. Hopefully this provides the impetus that's needed to begin working on it.

Can't have massive over-capacity constantly, it has to be within a fairly small percentage. Once that's then used up there'll be another one needed. Metering will reduce usage massively straightaway, fixing leaks will strip it all back again. Within the next 2-3 years supply will be more or less sorted without massive construction works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

Bog politicians who can't seem to understand that an urban area needs continuation of supply..

urban politicians who can't get a productive water supply of their own you mean...

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

unkel wrote: »
    And we're cut-off again for the last few hours. Dishwasher stopped working. Washing machine stopped working. Kids got sparkling water from a bottle as their night time drink

In a green clean (environment) country that is very thinly populated and has plenty of rain. Will probably be on the news in other European countries. Pretty embarrassing.

Why were you using your dishwasher and washing machine when you know the water is off?

Heard on the news this morning that the restrictions aren't working as well as they'd hoped, so this will be continuing well into next week :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

unkel wrote: »
    And we're cut-off again for the last few hours. Dishwasher stopped working. Washing machine stopped working. Kids got sparkling water from a bottle as their night time drink

Why on earth did you have your washing machine and dishwater running when it was well known that the supply would either be restricted or gone completely ? And why didn't you have a jug of water sitting in your fridge for such eventualities ?

Managed correctly the water restrictions would hardly be noticed.
    I have reiterate that I'm only speculating here. Its been disappointing that DCC have not given the public any technical information on what the problem is.

On the first day RTE had a report that the binding agents they currently use aren't binding to the particles and dragging them to the bottom to be siphoned off leaving the cleansed water.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 silaf

Hi,

I still have no water (in d/2, d/4 area). An elderly relative absent-mindedly left the hot tap on the first night. The tank isn't filling up again (through an air bubble I imagine), but would this explain why the cold tap in the kitchen isn't working either?

Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭metaxaaa

Saggart d24 still no water ;((((

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

The system could be air locked. Better to speak to a plumber before putting on central heating. Commn occurance up here in Donegal, burst mains and no water at least twice a week during the summer . The Local council up here are a joke,

• Registered Users Posts: 9 silaf

Hi malinheader, just wondering though, I understand that the water tank supply is airlocked, that it won't fill up again while it is airlocked and that this is way beyond my pay grade to fix myself, but does this explain why no water is coming in through the cold tap in the kitchen? Is the kitchen cold tap working in most house holds as it would usually do at this time of the day? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Jesus people - why are you turning on applicances DURING the hours that you've been informed there's water restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I am of the opinion that the situation in more serious than "restrictions"
    I would go as far to say that the whole system has broken down. I read on some news site this morning (can't remember which one) that experts from the UK are being brought in "to identify the problem" - so Dubliners don't presume that you have an airlock and everyone else except you are getting their supply back - we all can't have airlocks!
    I would think that in a normal functioning European country it would be a political scandal for the water supply in the capital to break down and there would be resignations.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 175 ✭✭sonny jim bob jones

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Jesus people - why are you turning on applicances DURING the hours that you've been informed there's water restrictions?

Good question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

AnonoBoy wrote: »

is this even a question? Its getting to sheer desperation obviously. There are four clean plates in our house right now, as none of us are around to clean them when the water is on. There was nothing in the tap except groans today at 8am so there was no tea for me, and there will be no tea for me tonight either as I usually get back after 6pm. If we even have dribbles, I'll be trying to wash the bloody dishes tonight. Housemate was talking to the neighbours this morning and they have resorted to paper plates. I might try and skedaddle early tonight in the hope that I can scrounge out a couple of liters to wash the pans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It doesn't seem to be affecting my apartment at all, although I have been doing the washing during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

is this even a question? Its getting to sheer desperation obviously.

It's not much use to you if the cycles quit half-way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭markpb

Lux23 wrote: »
    It doesn't seem to be affecting my apartment at all, although I have been doing the washing during the day.

My last apartment block had two huge water tanks in the underground car park which held thousands of litres each so we didn't notice most water outages. I guess if most people in your block are being conservative, there could be a lot of water in reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Hooked up the hose last night to the kitchen sink and stuck the other end down the drain outside.

Never stopped once. :confused:

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Hooked up the hose last night to the kitchen sink and stuck the other end down the drain outside.

Why?

diddlybit wrote: »
    Why?

Because i can.

Plus i hoped the water would run out and the oul **** of a neighbor wouldn't get any.

Plus i hoped the water would run out and the oul **** of a neighbor wouldn't get any.

Are you and your neighbour sharing a water tank because as far as I can tell, that's the only way that you could waste all his water?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

Ha ha ha!!!

• Advertisement

Are you and your neighbour sharing a water tank because as far as I can tell, that's the only way that you could waste all his water?

I'm talking fresh drinking water, not the attic ****e, surly we all get it from the same line???

I'm talking fresh drinking water, not the attic ****e, surly we all get it from the same line???

Perhaps you wanted him to go without his nightly bath?

Perhaps you wanted him to go without his nightly bath?

Anything to annoy them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

is this even a question?

Of course it's a question. The person who talked about the dishwasher quitting halfway through the cycle had obviously put it on after the time when they knew there'd be limits on supply.

How did they think that was going to work? If there was any water in the tap surely they would have been better served putting it in the bottom of the sink and washing what was necessary - not trying to run a full cycle in a dishwasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Loads of water here in Cork like

Sure the ESB make sure youse never want for water down there :P

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Tell me if I'm crazy, but if everyone in Dublin did their part to conserve water during the day, the water would NOT have to be turned off at night. That seems logical to me since I am guessing that a majority of people are doing little to conserve at home or work.

Therefore I find it disappointing that the GET OUT THE WATER SHORTAGE MESSAGE seems minimal and timid. Why isn't Dublin City Council and the water authority yelling with signs, social media, telephone calls, whatever it takes to tell businesses, employers and the public to save as much water as possible during the day. If everyone uses less water in the toilet/shower/kitchen/laundry/etc... and didn't use water for non-necessary purposes, wouldn't that save enough water to match the shortage?

We residents can all deal with these annoyances, but about the tourist population? How about spending thousands to visit Ireland and being told you cannot shower at the hotel or a restaurant is not sanitary because they cannot wash the dishes? But we can do our part if there was an city-led campaign to make Dubliners feel proud to conserve. We can talk seriously about fixing the root causes later.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

ScottSF wrote: »
    If everyone
    Ideas that begin "If everyone" aren't good ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

BeerNut wrote: »
    Ideas that begin "If everyone" aren't good ideas.

OK If a LOT of people in Dublin were aware and properly motivated to save water during the day, the problem might be fixed on time.

As it stands today the expected Monday "back to normal" is likely going to be Tuesday or Wednesday or perhaps later because not enough water is being saved at night so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Dublin City Council have now confirmed that the water restrictions will last until "at least" next Thursday.

Water restrictions will be in place until “at least Thursday”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

metaxaaa wrote: »
    Saggart d24 still no water ;((((

I work in Citywest, in the National Digital Park and there's been no running water since Wednesday evening.

Advertisement