Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Restrictions over the next week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

It's weird how some places are completely cut off one day but not the next and how some places have barely been affected at all.

We haven't run out of water at home so far (D.24), though the pressure was lower than usual the last two nights. I don't know if that's just because we haven't used up what's in the tank though. The pub I was in last night in Temple Bar seemed to be affected - the toilets stopped flushing by about 11pm, which was nice... and someone I know was in another pub that couldn't give out pints of water at the end of the night cause their supply was gone. It's turning into a hygiene issue for businesses - how are late bars and restaurants supposed to allow customers in if they can't flush their toilets or wash dishes for hours at a time?

I don't think the councils did enough to warn people either. A lot of people I spoke to on Wednesday evening didn't know anything about it as they'd been in work all day and then got home to find they had no water. The authorities must have known about this before Wednesday afternoon - why didn't they put out a notice earlier?! And we're supposed to be a "high-tech" developed country?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

It's almost a week now since Connacht Street in Phibsboro started overflowing with water running down to the Phibsboro Road all day every day. I reported it to DCC earlier this week but they knew about it already (as did thousands of people who have driven on that street). It even got a mention on one of the radio current affairs' programmes.

Yet as of Friday evening DCC has still not stopped this massive leakage of water in the very week they're telling citizens to conserve water. When water charges come in, will the councils be fined for leakages like this, or did they get an opt-out from the relevant legislation? I can't think of a single reason why DCC did not tackle this leakage immediately and divert all traffic from the street until it was completed. Conserving water, it seems, is something which we have a responsibility to do, but DCC somehow doesn't share that responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

It must be a major issue and I saw it walking to town. I have reported small leaks on the street once and they had the road torn up the next day. Its not a small leak in Phisboro so I imagine it will be difficult to repair. DCC are pretty good at doing their job. Generally if you report something like graffiti removal its done within 1/2 days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

My supply hasn't been restricted BUT it is cloudy..is it safe to drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

fussyonion wrote: »
    My supply hasn't been restricted BUT it is cloudy..is it safe to drink?

According to the DCC site, it's okay to drink if it's cloudy:
    Why is my water white?

White discolouration in water can be caused by either trapped air or dissolved minerals associated with water hardness

Air can be introduced into the water supply following repair work on the distribution network, or by a pocket of air becoming trapped in the internal domestic pipework. Aerated water has a cloudy or milky white appearance.
    Dissolved minerals associated with water hardness arise from the natural minerals found in water precipitating out and forming a fine white sediment. The presence of suspended chalk has a powdery white appearance.
    In each case, there is no risk to health although the appearance of the water may be unappealing.

To determine whether the cause is air or dissolved minerals the 'Glass Test' can be used:

Fill a glass with water from the cold kitchen tap and observe how it clears.
    Aerated water can take up to ten minutes to clear, and will clear from the bottom of the glass upwards.
    Water containing chalk takes an hour or more to clear, with the glass clearing from the top downwards.
    A fine sediment will then be left on the floor of the glass.
    Any white water in the mains network should clear within two to three hours. After this time the tap should be run for two to three minutes to check that the problem has cleared. When running the tap you can catch the water in a bucket or basin and use this water for any purpose other than drinking and cooking. However, if the problem persists please contact us for further advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 paganji

Still no water here in Dublin 12. I know they said it can take some time for pressure to build back up after they turn it on at 7am. But that was 7 hours ago now. Anybody else still without water?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yep, no water all day, Rathmines :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Loads of water here in D18, So much i don't know what to do with it.

Might get the hose on again for the craic :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

kub wrote: »
    Guys I feel sorry for you good folk up there in Dublin. Considering that your water is coming from a reservoir with a brand new control room in Ballymore Eustace.

The problem on the site is not of natures making. It is man made, what you are not been told has a lot to do with a certain trade union.

More like Ballymore Useless !! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

paganji wrote: »
    Still no water here in Dublin 12. I know they said it can take some time for pressure to build back up after they turn it on at 7am. But that was 7 hours ago now. Anybody else still without water?

Yep still nothing from the tap in D12 - such a f*cking headache

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

It's turning into a hygiene issue for businesses - how are late bars and restaurants supposed to allow customers in if they can't flush their toilets or wash dishes for hours at a time?

Are you suggesting that businesses should get preferential treatment over everyone else?
    I don't think the councils did enough to warn people either. A lot of people I spoke to on Wednesday evening didn't know anything about it as they'd been in work all day and then got home to find they had no water. The authorities must have known about this before Wednesday afternoon - why didn't they put out a notice earlier?!

Word was out by Tuesday. Evidently your friends missed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Loads of water here in D18, So much i don't know what to do with it.

Might get the hose on again for the craic :P

Poster infracted for trolling

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

loads of water here in D11, no reduction in water pressure either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I was in Phibsboro this morning and there was a mains leak up near the shopping centre. With all this about water restrictions I reported it.
    I eventually got a number for the out of hours service at DCC to report it. But like all things in government, it wasnt easily found and the number they say to call in the event of leaks is mon-fri 9-5.

Whether he passed it onto the correct department of course is another question that will most likely remain unanswered. Maybe we need Fox & Mulder to investigate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Maldesu wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that businesses should get preferential treatment over everyone else?

Where did I say that?! All I said was that it was "turning into a hygiene issue for businesses", which it is. I was not making a comparison of any sort, nor did I say that businesses were more important than households.
    Word was out by Tuesday. Evidently your friends missed it.

It wasn't just my friends. A lot of the people I meet through work didn't know about it by Wednesday afternoon and a fair amount of people in the bar I mentioned on Thursday did not know why the toilets weren't flushing.

It's been acknowledged by the government that it could have been better communicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Traffic lights will be switched off on Phibsborough Rd at Connaught St from 8:30am to 5:30pm on Sun 3rd of Nov. A stop/go system will operate to facilitate works on a damaged watermain.

AA roadwatch

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Davmcgoo

As with a lot of you I'm suffering from the restrictions. The water was off overnight on Wednesday night but was back Thursday. It turned off completely at 4:30pm on Thursday and has not returned at all upstairs. Both our showers and two toilets are upstairs. We have very restricted flow downstairs.

So I'm into day 3 now with no shower, hot water, washing machine, dishwasher, but water meter is safely installed outside. Living in Beaumont. I can live without most of these for a while except the showers obviously. Is there anyone I can ring because I can't hold out like this until Thursday (plus I expect the restrictions to be extended past then).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

What sort of issue's are you having? Does it go off before the 'allotted time'? If so, when do you get it back the next day?

Fortunately we don't see to be suffering from an issue here in Balbriggan. Seemingly though the area has several local reservoirs so that must be why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Stayed in the Burlington this weekend. No water mostly and even when there was it was brown and manky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Threads Merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

In a well known establishment on Camden St last night, the lads in the jacks were getting people to use water from pint glasses and the bar staff had to use bottled water to clean the glasses!

Anyone else's water still not back this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

No water pressure at all here in Blackrock. Raging

No water pressure at all here in Blackrock. Raging

Yeah nothing in clonskeagh. We are more animals than men at the moment, no showers etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Seems like the south side has been hit the most, no problems here in D7.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Central heating systems are closed circuits essentially, you should have no issues so long as there are no leaks in the system. Even at that a boiler should shutdown when water pressure is detected to be too low.

Unfortunately my boiler pressure is down, and I can't seem to repressurise it. Has anyone else heard of others in this position? Presumably I'll be told to tough it out until this shambles resolves itself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

My water has not went yet in Dublin 4, although I am in an apartment block so it could be that there are big supply tanks somewhere in the building.
    bugler wrote: »
    Unfortunately my boiler pressure is down, and I can't seem to repressurise it. Has anyone else heard of others in this position? Presumably I'll be told to tough it out until this shambles resolves itself.

There should be a tap that you can use to top up water pressure in the system once the water has returned.

Check out the Plumbing & Heating forum if you need details as to how to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mr_fruitbowl

Any one on south side have any issues with water?

Went for a shower today and came out, with what looked like chemical burns on my arms....thankfully gone down a good bit now (not completely).

Trying to figure out if it's related to water treatment plant. I've not changed my shampoo/soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

nudger wrote: »
    Seems like the south side has been hit the most, no problems here in D7.

Yep, no problems in Cabra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Any one on south side have any issues with water?

Went for a shower today and came out, with what looked like chemical burns on my arms....thankfully gone down a good bit now (not completely).

Trying to figure out if it's related to water treatment plant. I've not changed my shampoo/soap.

What?? Scared to shower now.

Advertisement