Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Restrictions over the next week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mr_fruitbowl

What?? Scared to shower now.

Don't want to scare anyone, issue could just be related to my shower. Just wondering if anyone else has any problems as it seems a bit coincidental that there's issues with the water treatment plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Yep, no problems in Cabra.

Might be something to do with being half way between the Mater and James Connelly hospitals, haven't had any low pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭seanie_c

Mr.Potato, why is there a problem with the water?

I think it's a gentle reminder to everyone why water is so important and why we need to charge for it...eh, along with entertainment charge.

The big dogs need a steady flow of Champagne and Lobster while you worry if you'll have water tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm renting a place in D18 and had running water all weekend. It was off earlier last week alright but grand since.

Methinks that certain areas are being looked after first. I'm living alone and at work all day, plus I don't drink tea/coffee most of the time so it hasn't really affected me as the shower/sinks run off the tank.
    It annoys me in a way all the same that as usual there are some that won't have to do without at all when others have had problems for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

No problems here in D8 off Cork Street. So far. That said, I'm living alone and wouldn't use much water in the first place apart from washing machine / bath. Being beside the Coombe Maternity might be a help. Is the proximity to a hospital thing for real or an urban myth / theory ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

****ing pisstake here. its off from when i get home from work to when i leave in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 8 canadianface

Does anyone know a solution to a problem I had today in regards to the water problems? Had cold water during the day, grand, but the hot water has stopped working altogether. No shower unless it is cold. I read somewhere that this might be because of an airlock either in the immersion tank or the 24 hour tank in the attic. Does anyone know a solution to this without reverting to a plumber?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Does anyone know a solution to a problem I had today in regards to the water problems? Had cold water during the day, grand, but the hot water has stopped working altogether. No shower unless it is cold. I read somewhere that this might be because of an airlock either in the immersion tank or the 24 hour tank in the attic. Does anyone know a solution to this without reverting to a plumber?
    Is there any water in your attic tank? Start there.

If you have a mixer tap try holding your hand over it and using the pressure of tge cold water to push any locks from the hot pipes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭seanie_c

The weather was bit warmer today than usual so I left the grass sprinklers on an extra hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

seanie_c wrote: »
    The weather was bit warmer today than usual so I left the grass sprinklers on an extra hour.

Trolling; mod(s) action taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

tricky D wrote: »
    Trolling; mod(s) action taken.

Huh? He was infracted, being a pillock. What changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Huh? He was infracted, being a pillock. What changed?

Please dont comment on mod actions. Poster was banned for 1 day

Low pressure now in my area and I could swear we get our water from Roundwood. I think they are robbing peter to pay paul now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 GiraffeStyle

Our electric shower has been out of action since Saturday- we think it's to do with the water pressure not being high enough to support the shower, even during the day. Anyone else experiencing similar issues? We are in Dublin 3 area.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

No problems here in D8 off Cork Street. So far. That said, I'm living alone and wouldn't use much water in the first place apart from washing machine / bath. Being beside the Coombe Maternity might be a help. Is the proximity to a hospital thing for real or an urban myth / theory ?
    Similar area (near Kevin Street) and all has been going grand until last night - water was gone fairly quickly. That said , I washed a heap of dishes and had to refill the sink a couple of times so maybe I used up the tank water where other nights I hadn't. No water to flush the toilet. No water for a shower this morning. It seemed to come back around 8.30-8.40am, right before I left though. Too late for my shower :mad:
    Our electric shower has been out of action since Saturday- we think it's to do with the water pressure not being high enough to support the shower, even during the day. Anyone else experiencing similar issues? We are in Dublin 3 area.
    Mine was similar this morning as there was a bit of water but clearly not enough to power the shower. However it has been ok every other day up to this and (I hope) should have been working ok once the water was back. As you said, probably the low water pressure is not sufficient for it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Low pressure now in my area and I could swear we get our water from Roundwood. I think they are robbing peter to pay paul now.

How do you know where your water comes from? Surely the whole system is connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

There's a new reservoir needed, as well as other water infrastructure works. Hopefully this provides the impetus that's needed to begin working on it.

the infrastructure HAS just been upgraded. it had €49million in 2011 and it approached €100 million this year.

the real sad thing is that output increased i think, by 1%. you couldnt make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

How do you know where your water comes from? Surely the whole system is connected?

Map of Dublin water supplies. Have no idea what the white areas are though.

http://www.dublincity.ie/WaterWasteEnvironment/DrinkingWater/Documents/WaterSupplyAreas.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

diddlybit wrote: »

http://www.dublincity.ie/WaterWasteEnvironment/DrinkingWater/Documents/WaterSupplyAreas.pdf

That's an old map of the city, 25-30 year old houses not on it.

diddlybit wrote: »

White is probably the other county councils

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/aboutus/councildepartments/wateranddrainage/findit/watersupply/supplyareasandsources/

And ****e, I'm getting my supply from Ballymore Eustace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 canadianface

Is there any water in your attic tank? Start there.

If you have a mixer tap try holding your hand over it and using the pressure of tge cold water to push any locks from the hot pipes

Thanks, have a mixer tap and that solution worked, there was an air block down the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

I live on Camden Street and had absolutely no water restrictions. I've had showers and used my washing machine in the evenings with no problem. I live in a building with about 15-20 other people so if we have some sort of dodgy tank set up for all our water supply, it must be a giant one.

Anyone else find this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

No water here in Clondalkin since 2pm or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

No water here in Clondalkin since 2pm or so.

May I ask, which part of Clondalkin?

I'm looking after a guy in a wheelchair, he lives on Watery Lane, that's why I'm asking. If he's out of water, he is basically in trouble :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Contractors burst a water main apparently.Water just came back at 10.30pm here and the council aren't turning it off tonight because of the earlier interruption.So the guy you are looking after should be okay now.

http://www.sdcc.ie/news/update-on-burst-water-mains-at-newlands-cross

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

Contractors burst a water main apparently.Water just came back at 10.30pm here and the council aren't turning it off tonight because of the earlier interruption.So the guy you are looking after should be okay now.

http://www.sdcc.ie/news/update-on-burst-water-mains-at-newlands-cross

Water in CLondalkin is quite cloudy this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

same as - we're in Kimmage - not been able to use the shower since last Wednesday. Think it's an airlock at this stage. Would we have to wait till the pressure is back before fixing it, or would we be able to fix this with no pressure in the taps/shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 GiraffeStyle

Roddy23 wrote: »
    same as - we're in Kimmage - not been able to use the shower since last Wednesday. Think it's an airlock at this stage. Would we have to wait till the pressure is back before fixing it, or would we be able to fix this with no pressure in the taps/shower?

Never thought of that. Hopefully when full supply is restored the showers will come back. Otherwise I'll be starting a thread "What is an airlock and how can I fix it!" :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I always thought it was an urban myth when I was told years ago that I was on the same water pipe as Beaumont Hospital. But I haven't had any loss of water or reduction of pressure while my friend who lives beside the hospital has had problems all week.

• Advertisement

Never thought of that. Hopefully when full supply is restored the showers will come back. Otherwise I'll be starting a thread "What is an airlock and how can I fix it!" :o

When the pressures back stick your hand over the faucet of the mixer tap and use the cold water pressure to push the airlock out of the hot pipes. i.e the tap is in 50/50 hot/cold position.

If you don't have a mixer then you'll need a small piece of hose and two fittings.

And then get a mixer tap :)

Advertisement