Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting your Child(U18) Store/Have a Gun in their Room

Options
  • 29-10-2013 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to know as a parent or if you were what would your prospective on this be?Is it right?Maybe rules being set etc.Me being 16 having one stored in my room parents dont mind too much but others such as friends find it not to be right.

Would you let you Child Store a Gun in their Room? 115 votes

Yes.
    0%
    cosieman 1 vote
    No way
    19%
    Explosive_CornflakeRovifathersymeskellxor.1337juice1304Boiled-eggmeathstevieScalachiGrizzly 45robertpattersonrowaMr.FlibbleferretePistolpete1wildfowler94German pointerBattleCorpfranknrolaaakevhiddenmongoose 22 votes
    Yes but rules to be set(keys of safe given to parent at night)
    80%
    the_sycoTurnerPaulwRewMadsLSkatedudeCalhounAkrasiaedantoLB6jandmmacnasrecipiothelurcherTerrorFirmerlilmissprincessdenismacciaran76bikoangelfire9 92 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

In general it sounds like a really really bad idea. I can think of exceptions (like keeping an air rifle without ammo in their room when dry firing if they're actually training heavily) so it's not an absolute rule, but those exceptions would be fairly esoteric and a case-by-case kind of thing. But I guess that's the way with these things...

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Sparks wrote: »
    In general it sounds like a really really bad idea. I can think of exceptions (like keeping an air rifle without ammo in their room when dry firing if they're actually training heavily) so it's not an absolute rule, but those exceptions would be fairly esoteric and a case-by-case kind of thing. But I guess that's the way with these things...

Yeah ive a single shot air rifle but i do keep ammo i my room.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just to sure i'm on the same page. If a child (under 18) owns a gun but their parents don't and they store the firearms in their room, you are asking if anyone would have a problem with this?

Or is it that the firearm is just in the room, not stored in a safe?

I didn't answer the poll as the third option is a non runner. No one, bar the licensee, should have access to the firearms. Ever. Parents or not.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Just to sure i'm on the same page. If a child (under 18) owns a gun but their parents don't and they store the firearms in their room, you are asking if anyone would have a problem with this?

Or is it that the firearm is just in the room, not stored in a safe?

I didn't answer the poll as the third option is a non runner. No one, bar the licensee, should have access to the firearms. Ever. Parents or not.

Im asking if you are or if you were a parent would you let your child store a gun in their room.I know but a one of my parent is a licensee so that doesnt apply to me.Its in a gun safe btw complying with the law

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

No way
    Is the teenager licenced to have the gun? If so i dont see the problem, if they can be teustwd with it outside no reason why thwy cant at home imo. Plus what cass said, if a parent is not licenced on the gun they cant go near it or have access to it

• Advertisement

If my child had a gun/license and i did not then as long as they store it in the safe in their room i'd be fine.

If they just kept it in their room, no safe, then i'd be less happy.

Lastly to have a gun and safe in your parents house you need written consent from them as the home owners to store the gun in their home. So i'd assume anyone with a gun should have no problem with their parents as they would have gotten their blessing in this form before hand.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

aaakev wrote: »
    Is the teenager licenced to have the gun? If so i dont see the problem, if they can be teustwd with it outside no reason why thwy cant at home imo. Plus what cass said, if a parent is not licenced on the gun they cant go near it or have access to it

True but some people find it "not right" and im like i dont see the problem maybe their parents would not allow so they would find it not right
    If my child had a gun/license and i did not then as long as they store it in the safe in their room i'd be fine.

If they just kept it in their room, no safe, then i'd be less happy.

Lastly to have a gun and safe in your parents house you need written consent from them as the home owners to store the gun in their home. So i'd assume anyone with a gun should have no problem with their parents as they would have gotten their blessing in this form before hand.

I got written consent to be able to apply for a firearm before hand.

1shot16 wrote: »
    True but some people find it "not right" .................
    M'eh.

Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Ask in After Hours:pac:

Jesus don't inflict that harm on the young lad. It'll turn into a thousand page monster so far removed from the original point that he won't recognise it. :D

• Advertisement

Blay wrote: »
    Ask in After Hours:pac:

Id be getting a lot of stupid answers like why would a 16 year old have a gun and whats "a house" and that sorta carry on.. no everyone is mature you know :P
    Jesus don't inflict that harm on the young lad. It'll turn into a thousand page monster so far removed from the original point that he won't recognise it. :D

Yeah im only 16 like :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Im asking if you are or if you were a parent would you let your child store a gun in their room.I know but a one of my parent is a licensee so that doesnt apply to me.Its in a gun safe btw complying with the law

NO

NO

The polls up top ;)

Any reasons why?too young?not right?

The polls up top ;)

Any reasons why?too young?not right?

Not with the pressures on young people today, and the consequences of it

Not with the pressures on young people today, and the consequences of it

Ill agree there is pressure on young people today but that does not go away when they are outside with the gun or the gun is stored in another room?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

teenagers are too impulsive. the child in question might be really mature and responsible but they might have friends round. Accidents can be avoided. Even as an adult, guns should be kept secure and separate from ammunition.

Ill agree there is pressure on young people today but that does not go away when they are outside with the gun or the gun is stored in another room?

True but god forbid anything should happen, you will have done everything within reason to lessen the outcome, without watching them 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

No way
    If he or she is licensed by law to use carry and possess then it should not matter where the using carrying and possession takes place as long as it is lawfully done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Why would anyone want to store a firearm in their bedroom? To be honest, I don't think some supers would be too impressed when the FO reports back to him.

I don't think the point has been raised yet but ill chime in with my experience. I've been involved in a lot of situations where things go bump in the night. People tend to grab what's at hand, grab their phone, give it three 9's and either barricade or go john Rambo on it and try clear the house with sticks, clubs, swords or whatever they have in their bedroom.

Forgetting the legal aspect of it, unless you are trained to do so, having a firearm in a high stress situation while groggy at 0 dark thirty hours with adrenalin surging and every part of your body pumping sweat is a bad idea.

While the legit firearm holder might be an absolutely upstanding young man or woman (or old for that matter) who normally wouldn't harm a fly, having a firearm close by when freeze, fight or flight kicks can be a receipe for disaster.

I'm not talking about castle doctrine or any crap like that, I'm talking about a basic human reaction to a potential unknown threat when caught completely off guard in your own home. People will react, not thinking off the consequences to what could be your langered brother making an arse of climbing in the window after losing his keys down the local.

So back to my original question, WHY would you keep a firearm in your bedroom?

bravestar wrote: »

So back to my original question, WHY would you keep a firearm in your bedroom?

Nowhere else to put it except a bedroom. Anywhere else would be visible to casual visitors and I don't want that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Why would you keep a firearm full stop? Especially at age 16 :confused:

Why would you keep a firearm full stop?

Exactly...why would ya's lads? You're all a disgrace:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

When I was growing up we had more than 13 firearms in the house at one stage, Mum said they were to be stored in the garage and that's how they were stored.

It's their house it's their rules, you want your own rules buy your own house.

No way
    Why would you keep a firearm full stop? Especially at age 16 :confused:

Thats like going to the soccer forum and asking why wpuld anyone want to have a ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Er? not to many people have been killed by a football

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭skinnylizzy

I would have to agree with The Aussie on this. It's their house, they make the rules and as long as the person in question is living under their roof, he/she should abide by their rules. If they were understanding enough and trusted their 16 year old enough to have a firearm in the first place, the least said 16 year old should do is respect their wishes on where the firearm is stored. The 16 year old can still take the firearm into their room to clean it and practise mounting it and such but maybe it's just for the parents 'peace of mind' that they know when the 16 year old has the firearm out of the safe and what he/she is doing with it.

No way
    Skatedude wrote: »
    Er? not to many people have been killed by a football

Er, this is the shooting forum so my point is correct....

No one is talking about killing anyone ether...

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Padd2

if its stored in a safe wouldnt the garda not advise you on whaere to have the safe ?
    surely he called and inspected the location of the safe??

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Moocow100

if its in a gun safe then no problem .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Blay wrote: »
    Nowhere else to put it except a bedroom. Anywhere else would be visible to casual visitors and I don't want that.

That's just being lazy. I have gone to considerable lengths for mine to be concealed completely, at little cost but with a lot of elbow grease and thought.

Advertisement