Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting your Child(U18) Store/Have a Gun in their Room

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

Depends on the firearm, air rifle yes, rimfire /shot gun no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Yes but rules to be set(keys of safe given to parent at night)
    1shot16 wrote: »
    I dont hold the keys when friends r around my mam holds them shes aslo licensed on the gun.

Having two safes is a bit much hiding the ammo maybe or leaving empties in a box in the safe that would fool any robbers :P
    I don't think burglary comes into it. It's more about having to think consciously every time you pick up a gun. A bit like loading and unloading, breaking the barrel when you're walking, showing your fellow shooters that the gun is safe, etc. It also gives pause for thought in the heat of the moment for someone who might be impulsive..

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

You have way too much time on your hands and as the other guy said you really do need to chill a bit! There's no malice in my posts - tone things down a bit.......
    I think you're also deliberately misinterpreting my posts on this? Trying to wind people up? I'm a big boy, I can take it :D

Unfortunately time is a resource that I have very little to spare and to avoid wasting any more here's my last word on the matter -
    I'll say again that I have no problem with the license process on this - or that children can get access to firearms. My reason for posting on this thread was in the vain hope that a parent would think long and hard before making a decision one way or the other. My biggest worry is that 24/7 access to a firearm for some children (and a few adults that I know ;) ) - despite the Gardai thinking they're 'safe' - is just way too risky for my liking.
    It just takes one moment of stupidity for life changing events to take place - we're all prone to lapses in judgement but lets be honest children more so than most adults.
    Cass wrote: »
    Looks like i did jinx it.

But you said (mockingly i presume) they don't do full Psych checks. That they don't ring the referrees or GP in the majority of cases. This all implies you believe the current level of checks to insufficient.

What would you suggest be done? How would you guarantee that a child deemed fit will not be suddenly unfit?

If you're complaining have the conviction to stand by your opinion, and if you're not then why bring it up?.

So you are criticising the current checks and do indeed want something more substaintial done.

The current system in place is more than enough if only it were applied in full. Same with other issues surrounding firearms. The laws are there just the implementation leaves a lot to be desired.

Pointless? It seems it's more of an inconvenience for you to answer as it hits on the topic of the thread.

Parents, other than refusing permission for the gun to be stored in their home, have no control over licenses, guns, etc. That's what the Gardaí and politicians are for.

What age did you have your first gun at?

I also asked what checks you got (if you're old enough to have gone through the licensing process 20+ years ago) when you applied for your first license. Did you offer/volunteer GP info, medical info, referees, security guarantees, etc, etc. Or did you simply sign a one page form like the rest of us?

If so what made the Gardaí think you were fit to hold a gun? What made you think you were fit? Where did you store your gun?

Also what makes you more fit to hold a gun now than a 16 old? What guarantees are there that once licensed you will not go off the rails?

The system is not perfect, and it works on a coupling of trust of the applicant and what checks can be performed by an under staffed and severely deficient Garda force.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

reniwren wrote: »
    Depends on the firearm, air rifle yes, rimfire /shot gun no

A firearm is a firearm IMO ,Some Gas Air rifles are just as power full as a .22lr with sub sonics...
    IMHO

No.

Just no, no need for discussion imo, regardless of the license, you are not yet a responsible adult in the eyes of the law, which means someone else has to bear the responsibility.

An argument about having a safe is also pointless. If its in a safe, why the hell would you put the safe in a kids room.
    Parent's room, hot-press, anywhere else is a better option.
    That being said, when I was 19. the gun-safe ended up in my wardrobe. only two guns, both for vermin control, and always locked. no drama

Kids are kids, and do stupid things all the time, even smart kids, even good kids. A gun is just a very quick way to regret something for the rest of your life. I did some real stupid sh1t when I was 17, and it was only luck that made it a lesson instead of a lifelong regret.

In saying that having a firearm makes me think twice before doing anything.Trying to stay the right side of the law and i have done some stupid things but not since ive had my firearm which is a good few months now.For me personally its helped me matured and help my judgment. Im also more patient and just ignore clowns.

Also a bit insulted when ye say kid.Kid is like a 12 year old or yound,Teen would be more adequate. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Just no, no need for discussion imo, regardless of the license, you are not yet a responsible adult in the eyes of the law
    You might hold that opinion about what the law thinks; you are, however, not factually correct. The fact that a licence is granted is proof that you are factually incorrect, unless you believe that the state issues firearms licences as though they were trivial things not worth bothering over?
    An argument about having a safe is also pointless. If its in a safe, why the hell would you put the safe in a kids room.
    That being said, when I was 19. the gun-safe ended up in my wardrobe. only two guns, both for vermin control, and always locked. no drama
    Do you not appreciate the inherent irony in your position here?

You may not see the need for this; others do. All the juniors I've trained with over the years who were going off and winning medals would spend large amounts of time just holding the rifle in the firing position, training their balance, rehearsing the shot plan, getting used to the position and so on - all things done without pellets or rounds in the rifle. Pistol shooters equally need lots of time spent with the pistol not live firing - muscle work, grip work, dry-firing, and so on. When you have kids coming home from school and then needing to spend two to four hours doing this kind of thing, not every family can just drop everything, drive them to the range and sit there while they do something they can do equally well at home. There's your actual, real, competitive need to do this kind of thing, and that's just from one part of the sport.

You need an open mind about this (along with a solid dose of reality and caution, yes, but open nonetheless).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just no, no need for discussion imo, regardless of the license, you are not yet a responsible adult in the eyes of the law, which means someone else has to bear the responsibility.
    Wrong.

In the eyes of the law once the person is 16 they are deemed legally old enough, hence responsible enough, to own a firearm. Everything after that is personal opinion about the individual's ability to safely hold, possess and use the firearm.
    Because it's his gun.
    May not be an option.
    Some would argue 19 is not a responsible age either. It's a matter of perspective.
    ............. and anything that could possibly go wrong, you must take the blame for, instead of jeopardizing a parent.
    As said above under the law once you turn 16, with your own license you are responsible for your actions with your gun.
    thelurcher wrote: »
    You have way too much time on your hands and as the other guy said you really do need to chill a bit! There's no malice in my posts - tone things down a bit.......
    I think you're also deliberately misinterpreting my posts on this? Trying to wind people up? I'm a big boy, I can take it :D
    This is the same crap another poster accused me of when he could not/would not answer my questions.

You are using deflection as as means to avoid answering the questions, and yet make it seem as though i have an agenda. If so then that is fine, but i would appreciate it if you simply said you cannot answer it or don't want to as the other poster did.
    Unfortunately time is a resource that I have very little to spare and to avoid wasting any more here's my last word on the matter -
    I'll say again that I have no problem with the license process on this - or that children can get access to firearms. My reason for posting on this thread was in the vain hope that a parent would think long and hard before making a decision one way or the other. My biggest worry is that 24/7 access to a firearm for some children (and a few adults that I know ;) ) - despite the Gardai thinking they're 'safe' - is just way too risky for my liking.
    It just takes one moment of stupidity for life changing events to take place - we're all prone to lapses in judgement but lets be honest children more so than most adults.
    Don't know why i'm bothering to ask as you haven't answered my other questions, but here goes. If you have a son and he grows up around you, hunting, shooting, being around firearm, etc. You get him his training license at 14 and then a full license at 16.

You wouldn't allow him access to the guns, go out unattended, etc?

I've said this a couple of times now, and it's beginning to get boring as people choose not to read, listen to or understand it. The OP has a gun, he is legal, and HIS gun is in HIS safe in HIS room. End of story.

Arguing for there to be more control or restrictions until a person, that under the law is legally allowed a firearm, is deemed fit enough to have one is counter productive and will cause a decline in an already declining sport.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

madred006 wrote: »
    Well I believe that you overstepped the mark in your attack on my first post , and as such would like this to be looked at further please .
    Cass has pointed me to this thread and I will have a look at this when I get a chance (probably this evening)

However please note that you should never comment on modding matters in-thread (except in the Dispute Resolution, Feedback or Help Desk forums)

CMods are listed on the front page of the forum and can be contacted directly if there is a particular issue that cannot be dealt with by the local mods (and in this case Sparks is considered a "local" mod as we prefer to let someone independent of the forum review such matters where feasible)

Any questions PM me - do not respond on modding matters/instructions in-thread

Thanks

Beasty

75% saying no way clear win for no

Im guessing not everyone who voted is apart of the shooting community and has or had a firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Yeah the poll has been skewed a bit, some of those that voted no probably don't want anyone having firearms no matter what age.

Blay wrote: »
    Yeah the poll has been skewed a bit, some of those that voted no probably don't want anyone having firearms no matter what age.

They are puzzled as to why anyone would want one etc

Its like why would anyone need a fishing rod? :rolleyes:

Anti Gun people the days :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

no reason or benefit to do so , so why bother ,

I'm not against guns (I own one)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I don't even have a gun in my room, the gun safe is away in a corner and you wouldn't know there was a gun in the house, not to mind the Childs bedroom.

I don't even have a gun in my room, the gun safe is away in a corner and you wouldn't know there was a gun in the house, not to mind the Childs bedroom.

Because you found a suitable place for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

IF the authorities are of the opinion that you are a fit person to possess and use a live firearm of any kind, then you are.

That's it.

IF the authorities are happy with the location of your gun safe, then that's it, too.

End.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Simple - if you don't shoot, then you don't have a dog in the race.

This IS the shooting forum, after all, as Cass justifiably notes a number of times.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭skinnylizzy

1shot16 wrote: »
    Just wanted to know as a parent or if you were what would your prospective on this be?Is it right?Maybe rules being set etc.Me being 16 having one stored in my room parents dont mind too much but others such as friends find it not to be right.

With all due respect to all of the above people saying 'if you're not a member of the shooting community you don't have a say' and such...........

The origional question was to parents, not shooters. In the question, 1shot16 says 'as a parent or if you were' not 'as a shooter'.

His parents may not have been shooters when he and his mother both applied for the FAC on his air rifle. Would that mean his parents would not have as much of an opinion on this thread as let's say a shooter who has no children? People are entitled to their say folks. I'm a shooter with kids and I voted no for reasons I stated previously.

Just trying to play devils advocate here guys, I'm not attacking anyone in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

People are entitled to their say folks. I'm a shooter with kids and I voted no for reasons I stated previously.

Nobody is denying their right to an opinion, what I was saying was that there are likely to be a significant number of people in the no camp who are anti firearms across the board regardless of age etc. If there was a poll asking 'Should anyone have firearms?' they'd say no to that too. They have voted no because of this rather than any specific concerns about under 18's having firearms in their rooms e.g.:
    Why would you keep a firearm full stop? Especially at age 16 :confused:

I would mind seeing a poll in AH on whether people are against firearms in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭skinnylizzy

Nobody is denying their right to an opinion, what I was saying was that there are likely to be a significant number of people in the no camp who are anti firearms across the board regardless of age etc. If there was a poll asking 'Should anyone have firearms?' they'd say no to that too. They have voted no because of this rather than any specific concerns about under 18's having firearms in their rooms e.g.:

I would mind seeing a poll in AH on whether people are against firearms in Ireland.

I totally understand and agree to a point but the poll has also been skewed by the options we were given to answer. No Way is way to harsh an answer for my point pf view but if we were all to have an answer that suited us, it'd be the biggest pie chart in the world 😊. I also agree that there are plenty of anti gun people voting here so maybe before a poll was set up, the origional question should have been worded in such a way that people who don't own firearms couldn't have a say.......... If that was the case though, people who own firearms but don't own kids shouldn't have a say!!!! ;);););)

Again, I'm not having a go, I'm just keeping it interesting :)

Advertisement