Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry Requirments For Postgrad Course.

Options
  • 29-10-2013 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

Would there be any postgrad courses that you could do with a Third Class Honours Degree. As in if you just got a pass. I know most courses tend to have 2.2 at least to get a postgrad.

Also, can you do a post grad that is different to your degree?

Say if you studied for example, history/English/geography etc. could you do a postgrad in business/maths/science.

If not is there pre courses you can do to be able to change over to them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

It's possible to do some conversion courses. These are courses that are different to the discipline your degree is in. For example, if you study business and then want to do computing. So far I've seen these for computing, business, and law. There may also be others. Some of them still require a 2.2 or 2.1 degree but I've seen one or two that will consider you as long as you have any level 8 degree, but preference will be given to those with a 2.2 or above. Hope this helps some bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

You'll have to impress in your interview, but the education requirements are waived alot of the time if you demonstrate a interest in the course and an aptitude for it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I would also say that you would definitely need to apply early as well. In the next 6 weeks or so to give yourself some advantage as competition will be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

What type of postgraduate course are you talking about? A Higher Diploma, Postgraduate Diploma, Masters, something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Polar Ice wrote: »
    What type of postgraduate course are you talking about? A Higher Diploma, Postgraduate Diploma, Masters, something else?

Not really sure. I am not really sure what is the difference in those. So you might help on that. Basically, anything that will further my qualifications and increase my chances of employment in the future. I presume most of those would help anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

closeline wrote: »
    Not really sure. I am not really sure what is the difference in those. So you might help on that. Basically, anything that will further my qualifications and increase my chances of employment in the future. I presume most of those would help anyway.

You need to do alot more research on your own. Not having a clue oft he type of degree you want and only having vague reasons for pursuing one wont help anyone in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

The reason I asked was I believe you'll have a substantial amount of difficulty being accepted for a large range of postgraduate programmes with a third class honours degree without a significant amount of relevant work experience

For both conversion purposes and entry requirement purposes, a higher diploma course may be most suitable.

Yes, you cam do a postgraduate course that isn't related to an undergraduate degree in many cases. Courses will always outline course content and entry requirements, which should give you a good idea if the course is suitable for you.

You clearly need to do a lot more research yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Polar ice @ 1huge1 what are the odds if being accepted into the msc in computational finance if you're not from a mathematical/finance background ?

Can't say for sure, I'm doing Financial Services myself but share a few modules with those in Computation Finance, though having spoken to a good few of them, they definitely all don't come form mathamatical backgrounds but it would definitely help.

I'd say go and speak to Fergal O'Brien in the Schumann building and see what he thinks.

1huge1 wrote: »
    Can't say for sure, I'm doing Financial Services myself but share a few modules with those in Computation Finance, though having spoken to a good few of them, they definitely all don't come form mathamatical backgrounds but it would definitely help.

I'd say go and speak to Fergal O'Brien in the Schumann building and see what he thinks.

How're you finding the financial services masters. A mate of mine is doing it and he's says it's not to difficult just that bucket loads of assignments some which are unnecesary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Polar ice @ 1huge1 what are the odds if being accepted into the msc in computational finance if you're not from a mathematical/finance background ?

I know two people who did a physic degree for their undergrad on the course.

When applying to your masters is it a must to add l.c results and results from 1st - 3rd yr even though some are not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

When I applied for my post grad, I needed to give them a copy of my transcript, so maybe you'll need that too. I guess it depends on what the application says because it generally tells you exactly what you need.

How're you finding the financial services masters. A mate of mine is doing it and he's says it's not to difficult just that bucket loads of assignments some which are unnecesary.

Overall, I'm positive about the course, there are things about it that you could argue are not too relevant but it is catering a wide enough range of students.

At the end of the day, we are all doing the course to increase our employability and what level we can expect to join an organisation at (both position and salary) and that is where the course is strongest, employers really do look at the course favourably.

Advertisement