Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barcelona Marathon 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

just ran my first marathon yesterday and was also looking at barcelona as a possible event for marathon #2. is there special conditions for entry, like there is for london, boston, ny etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭plumber77

No special conditions, fantastic event. Did it last year and thoroughly enjoyed the whole trip.

Anyone else with any past experiences on the Barca marathon??

I havent signed up just yet, but its likely I'll be heading over on my tod as apparently leaving 3 kids under five years of age at home on their own is frowned upon - so the missus wont be coming over with me to cheer me along. :P

As "Slow_Runner" mentioned, any hotel recommendations would be appreciated - especially something cheap and cheerful, and preferably withing crawling distance from the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Any more interest in this marathon?
    Marthastew - Are you out there??

Thinking about doing this as a good excuse to get out of ireland for Paddy's weekend (and to be boorish in another country instead!)
    A couple of non-boardsie people I know are looking to do this so I may tip along for the occasion.
    Might come too soon for a full-on tilt at a PB but will play that one by ear...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

belcarra wrote: »
    Any more interest in this marathon?
    Marthastew - Are you out there??

Thinking about doing this as a good excuse to get out of ireland for Paddy's weekend (and to be boorish in another country instead!)
    A couple of non-boardsie people I know are looking to do this so I may tip along for the occasion.
    Might come too soon for a full-on tilt at a PB but will play that one by ear...

I'm in. First real marathon in years, having dodged via pacing/ultra/IM for the past while.

Time to get training!

• Advertisement

How did you enjoy Clontarf on Saturday Izoard?

How did you enjoy Clontarf on Saturday Izoard?

Good day out - I'd say if the wind/rain wasn't behaving, it would be a completely different story.

Did you do 1:40 in the end?

Yip, 1:40 but really struggled over the final few kms.
    Think I'll stand down from the pacing for a while now though...

So it sounds like if you are gonna race Barca does that mean no Donadea 50k for you?

Yip, 1:40 but really struggled over the final few kms.
    Think I'll stand down from the pacing for a while now though...

So it sounds like if you are gonna race Barca does that mean no Donadea 50k for you?

Nice one - I'd say you were feeling the return leg along the beach!

Down to do Donadea - although I plan to do some training for Barca, logic and process will be largely absent...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Just spotted this thread now......
    Mr S and I are also racing Barcelona via Donadea; smack down city in our house;)
    Cousin Stew is also signed up so the family bragging rights are definitely on the line.

15 week training plan starts December 2nd and after the half on Saturday I've set myself an ambitious goal of 3.09:) a lot can happen between now and then but with a lot of hard work and plenty of black cats and magpies I just might get lucky:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

I have ran the Barcelona Marathon the last two years. It’s a great marathon I have to say. I had been to Barcelona a few times before so I based myself in the L’eixample area of the city. On marathon morning I strolled down to the start line at Place d’Espanya, about 25 mins or so stroll, but there were plenty of buses or taxis to be had. The course itself is pretty flat,with the exception of the last 1.5 to 2km which is a long straight drag called Avegunda del Paral-lel. I got up it pretty ok in 2012, alas it was a different story in 2013. Good atmosphere and support along the route, decent expo aswell. I have no complaints about it at all and would recommend it as a Spring marathon . Wont be doing it in 2014 myself, Im heading to Prague instead for the marathon in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

I highly recommend this marathon too. We had a great Paddy's weekend there this year. Save something for the end though cause as ac20 said there's a drag for the last 2k. Another thing to consider is if it's your first trip to Barcelona (like us) the city is fantastic, so there'll be a lot of sight seeing which isn't the best prep for marathon running (might explain my collapse on the last 2k :o).
    We stayed in the Jazz Hotel which was very reasonable and very central. The metro was practically outside the door which was only a few stops from the start at Place d’Espanya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Have been torn between this and Rotterdam but my mind is made up on this now. Really enjoyed it last year, looking forward to going back already......just need to sort out the training plan now!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Willo2011

I've signed up for this one too - mainly cos I fancy spending Paddy's weekend in Barcelona!

I haven't booked my flights yet as I was hoping for a sale of some description. Has anyone advice on when to book and what is a reasonable price? I would probably like to get in early Friday and leave maybe late Tuesday. Hopefully that would give me Monday or Tuesday to look around the city (depending on how crazy the nightlife is and what time I manage to get out of bed!). I think skyscanner is quoting flights around €190 but I was hoping for about €150..

Willo2011 wrote: »
    I've signed up for this one too - mainly cos I fancy spending Paddy's weekend in Barcelona!

I haven't booked my flights yet as I was hoping for a sale of some description. Has anyone advice on when to book and what is a reasonable price? I would probably like to get in early Friday and leave maybe late Tuesday. Hopefully that would give me Monday or Tuesday to look around the city (depending on how crazy the nightlife is and what time I manage to get out of bed!). I think skyscanner is quoting flights around €190 but I was hoping for about €150..

There was a bit of a sale last week where you could have got them for about €130 or so (That was out Sat morning with AL and back Mon afternoon with Ryanair). I imagine you'll get a drop in price again from them in the next month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭johnp23

Hey Willo only booked my flights last week 108 return with Aer lingus going out friday morning home wednesday night

Got my flights for about 130e a few weeks back. Very impressed with 108e though. Looks like I should have held out a little while longer.

I eventually go my flights sorted for €115. Prices seem to be yoyo-ing over the last month. Glad I had a bit of patience for once.

If anyone else has a recommendation for a place that is central, reasonably priced, close to the start/finish and to a good Irish bar (:D) it would be massively appreciated. (update: I see someone has recommended Jazz Hotel. I'll check that out.)

I'm heading over with a friend who is going for sub 2:30. I'll be going for sub 3. I've ran 2:56 and 2:54 the last 2 times in Dublin but I'm doing this as part of Ironman training so not exactly sure how I will fair.

If anyone else has a recommendation for a place that is central, reasonably priced, close to the start/finish and to a good Irish bar (:D) it would be massively appreciated. (update: I see someone has recommended Jazz Hotel. I'll check that out.)

The start/finish is actually a decent bit away from the centre of Town (La Rambla). It depends on what you want more really - to be convenient for the race or to be close to the busy part of town. The metro service is pretty good and the taxis wouldn't cost that much to get to the race start which would mean Town would be a better location.
    Having said that I still haven't looked for accommodation properly myself yet. The past few years most boardsies have gone to the George Payne, so maybe close to here is the main consideration!!

The start/finish is actually a decent bit away from the centre of Town (La Rambla). It depends on what you want more really - to be convenient for the race or to be close to the busy part of town. The metro service is pretty good and the taxis wouldn't cost that much to get to the race start which would mean Town would be a better location.
    Having said that I still haven't looked for accommodation properly myself yet. The past few years most boardsies have gone to the George Payne, so maybe close to here is the main consideration!!

Close to the George Payne would be the main consideration! Thanks a million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Missed out on the cheap flights - AL was E530 for 2 of us!!! Settled for ryanair at E160 each flying out Fri coming back Mon, now for the hotel.......

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

Hey all, I'm in for this one! Any hotel recommendations??

So, with only 54 days remaining I think it's time to put up a table of who is doing this marathon and target times!
    Username|Target time:|Actual Time:
    belcarra|3:19:59|

Don't think I'll be doing this race at 100% (Might wait for one in April/May instead) but would still like to go sub 3:20 which would be a PB by a couple of minutes.
    Mainly, I'll be going for the drinking!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

slow_runner|3:56:59|

Willo2011|2:59:00|

I haven't ran in nearly 2 weeks with a sore knee and only started training at the beginning of January so I might not run the marathon but I'll be there for the cerveza and to cheer ye on. Hopefully I'll be back running by the weekend :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

SharkTale |3:42:00|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I haven't ran in nearly 2 weeks with a sore knee and only started training at the beginning of January so I might not run the marathon but I'll be there for the cerveza and to cheer ye on. Hopefully I'll be back running by the weekend :confused:
    Oh no, sorry to hear that Will.

Mr Stew, cousin Stew and I are booked on Ryanair, travelling over Friday evening, returning Monday. I'll pop on here with a predicted time after we race Raheny on Sunday.

SharkTale |3:42:00|
    Sideswipe|3:14:59|

Not sure yet if this time will be a stretch! Training going OKish- next few weeks with some tune up races will tell a lot. Hope to be back to hotel and changed ready for Man U v Liverpool & Spurs v Arsenal in the pub!!!

Didn't realise that those games are on that day! Looks like another update from AMK should be forthcoming in the Rant thread...!

• Advertisement

Didn't realise that those games are on that day! Looks like another update from AMK should be forthcoming in the Rant thread...!

Yep, Super Sunday indeed. All I want is 5 all draw in North London- 1 nil win for the Pool and a sub 3:15 marathon and I'll be happy!

Advertisement