Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barcelona Marathon 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

belcarra wrote: »
    Didn't realise that those games are on that day! Looks like another update from AMK should be forthcoming in the Rant thread...!

Looks like some motivation to run faster so! On the football theme I was toying with the idea of going to the Barca match (depending on start time). Has anyone done this after a marathon and is it wise (lots of steps?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I hadn't realised it was on Sunday (thought it was on Saturday but perhaps it's been changed for TV rights? Or maybe I was just plain wrong!).
    A decent chance I might go along but if the craic in the pub is too good after the run then it may be difficult to move from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Looks like some motivation to run faster so! On the football theme I was toying with the idea of going to the Barca match (depending on start time). Has anyone done this after a marathon and is it wise (lots of steps?)
    We went last year, was pretty jarred heading off to see the game but it was well worth it!! Got my tickets directly from the barca site before hand and got great seats in the lower tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Same as above, went to the game last year after a quick nap (steps are manageable don't worry) then got completely jarred after it in the George Payne! Flight home was a nightmare the next morning but great weekend, you'll have a great time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Username|Target time:|Actual Time:
    belcarra|3:19:59|
    slow_runner|3:56:59|
    Willo2011|2:59:00|
    SharkTale |3:42:00|
    Sideswipe|3:14:59|
    marthastew | 3.11.59|
    Mr Stew is still undecided on his goal time and will most likely decide on the start line ;-)

Very best of luck to all over the next few weeks of training.

• Advertisement

Marthastew wrote: »
    Mr Stew is still undecided on his goal time and will most likely decide on the start line ;-)
    If Saturday was anything to go by then he's targeting sub 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

I'm in!

marthastew | 3.11.59|
    pudgeydev | 3.39.59|

Heel is healing up nicely so should be right for road!

marthastew | 3.11.59|
    pudgeydev | 5.39.59|

Went over on the heel..... just off the crutches today. Looks like I'll be seeing Barcelona at a much slower rate than planned!

belcarra|3:29:59|
    marthastew | 3.11.59|
    pudgeydev | 5.39.59|

After discovering just how poor my endurance is at the moment during laps 6 & 7 in Donadea it has helped firm up my mind to take Barca easy and focus on another marathon at the end of April for my goal time.
    So, I will row back to a sub 3:30 finish in a bid to finish strong and with something left in the tank. That will make for a good training run if it all goes to plan!
    pudgeydev wrote: »
    Went over on the heel..... just off the crutches today. Looks like I'll be seeing Barcelona at a much slower rate than planned!
    Bad luck there Dev! Just don't take too long on getting to the pub!!:pac:

So last 20 miler out of the way (which went strangely well) let the taper madness begin:D: Where do I start:

The strange non existent pain in my left knee.
    Airport strike!!
    Turning up without my lucky undies
    getting jarred the night before after Ireland win the grand slam
    getting my porridge in before the race

so much to worry about:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Well here we are.....less than 3 weeks to go. How's everybody fixed?

My plan has me down for a 3 week taper which I'm not usually keen on, however my body is calling out for it this time! Trying to manage a niggely ankle by running as much as possible on grass and hoping reduced mileage will help!!! Let the taper madness commence!

let the taper madness begin:D: Where do I start:

getting jarred the night before after Ireland win the grand slam

so much to worry about:D:D:D

Oh we'll- one thing less to stress about!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

marthastew | 3.11.59|
    Izoard | 3.45.00|
    pudgeydev | 5.39.59|

Have completely fallen off the love bus for running at the moment - averaging 1 run a week, currently.:eek:

Breaking 3:40 would move me up a few pens for the start of Comrades (if I ever get there), but I think breaking sub-4 would be a result, if my Donadea performance was anything to go by.

Nevertheless, watching Arsenal hammer Tottenham in the George Payne, is keeping me fully motivated...:)

Izoard wrote: »
    marthastew | 3.11.59|
    Izoard | 3.45.00|
    pudgeydev | 5.39.59|

Have completely fallen off the love bus for running at the moment - averaging 1 run a week, currently.:eek:

Breaking 3:40 would move me up a few pens for the start of Comrades (if I ever get there), but I think breaking sub-4 would be a result, if my Donadea performance was anything to go by.

Nevertheless, watching Arsenal hammer Tottenham in the George Payne, is keeping me fully motivated...:)

I never realised that was that afternoon. Arsenal jersey now takes priority over the runners in the packing for the trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

belcarra wrote: »
    I never realised that was that afternoon. Arsenal jersey now takes priority over the runners in the packing for the trip!

You've just gone up a couple of divisions in my estimation :)

1700 CET kick off...I might make the 2nd half..!

sideswipe wrote: »
    Oh we'll- one thing less to stress about!

Yeah, think I jinxed that one:o. Better not mention the 6 nations championship still up for grabs so!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

Regarding our race number & chip pickup, the website is a little unclear. It says "It will be compulsory to print and bring the bib number mail you received, alongside your ID".

Should I expect to get this mail in the post or email? Has anyone gotten theirs yet?

Thanks!

cian_r wrote: »
    Regarding our race number & chip pickup, the website is a little unclear. It says "It will be compulsory to print and bring the bib number mail you received, alongside your ID".

Should I expect to get this mail in the post or email? Has anyone gotten theirs yet?

Thanks!

Got mine this evening.

sideswipe wrote: »
    Got mine this evening.

Looks like you can download it from the web now anyway.

Got my email this morning. Anyone doing the breakfast run on Sat morning? Is it worth doing? Thinking it would be nice to run into the Olympic stadium.

• Advertisement

I've been a bit reluctant to add my name and target finish time to this list as training hasnt been great for the last few weeks. Anyway, here goes ...

marthastew | 3.11.59|
    Izoard | 3.45.00|
    pudgeydev | 5.39.59|
    cian_r| 3.34.59|

This would represent a PB for me, so its a bit of a stretch, but we all gotta have a goal, right? Bring on the 16th!

Now if all this strike talk could go away I would feel much better! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Got my email this morning. Anyone doing the breakfast run on Sat morning? Is it worth doing? Thinking it would be nice to run into the Olympic stadium.

I did it last year, great experience getting to do a couple of laps of the Olympic stadium alright!! Definitely recommended!!

neilc wrote: »
    I did it last year, great experience getting to do a couple of laps of the Olympic stadium alright!! Definitely recommended!!

Looks like a good experience. Website says that for the breakfast run you need to pick up a bib from the expo. Not sure I'll land in Barca on Friday evening in time to get to the expo before it closes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

cian_r wrote: »
    Looks like a good experience. Website says that for the breakfast run you need to pick up a bib from the expo. Not sure I'll land in Barca on Friday evening in time to get to the expo before it closes.

I did it 3 years ago and I'm pretty sure there were still Breakfast run bibs the morning of the run. You could always go up to the expo early anyway and check it out. If there are none left just collect your number and head back to the hotel.

I would definitely recommend the breakfast run if feasible. Really enjoyed it.

From SIPTU website:

A four hour work stoppage at Dublin, Cork and Shannon Airports will take place from 5.00 a.m. to 9.00 a.m. on Friday, 14th March.

SIPTU representatives remain available if the companies wish to enter discussions that could lead to a resolution of the pensions crisis.

Let the panic begin!! I'm on the Ryanair flight Fri evening but can imagine the knock on will be mental

From SIPTU website:

A four hour work stoppage at Dublin, Cork and Shannon Airports will take place from 5.00 a.m. to 9.00 a.m. on Friday, 14th March.

SIPTU representatives remain available if the companies wish to enter discussions that could lead to a resolution of the pensions crisis.

Let the panic begin!! I'm on the Ryanair flight Fri evening but can imagine the knock on will be mental

Thanks for that update.
    Not flying til Saturday myself but was wondering about the timings of any proposed action so I guess I should be ok. #lookingafternumber1:D

I'm not flying until 6 that evening, but as you say there may be serious knock on delays

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭TakeaBowSon

marthastew | 3.11.59|
    Izoard | 3.45.00|
    pudgeydev | 5.39.59|
    cian_r| 3.34.59|
    TakeaBowSon| 3.24.59|

Hoping for a PB here. Big crew of us heading over for a big weekend. Bring it!

Less than two weeks to go. How are ye all fixed? I’m still on the mend from the heel injury, I still can’t trust a proper run still and my longest lsr in the build-up to this was 15 miles mid-January, I do intend on finishing the marathon though.
    Yes, I’m an idiot.

Anyway, flying out at six on Friday with the OH. Staying there near el Camp De L’Arpa Del Clot. I presume that side of town is easy enough to get to??

Would love to do the run on Saturday morning but the expo doesn’t open til 10am and the run is at 9am so will miss out.

Any plans for the rugby at 6pm??

• Advertisement

pudgeydev wrote: »
    Less than two weeks to go. How are ye all fixed? I’m still on the mend from the heel injury, I still can’t trust a proper run still and my longest lsr in the build-up to this was 15 miles mid-January, I do intend on finishing the marathon though.
    Yes, I’m an idiot.

Anyway, flying out at six on Friday with the OH. Staying there near el Camp De L’Arpa Del Clot. I presume that side of town is easy enough to get to??

Would love to do the run on Saturday morning but the expo doesn’t open til 10am and the run is at 9am so will miss out.

Any plans for the rugby at 6pm??

At least you'll get to take in the sights:D

Didn't realise that the expo didn't open until 10 - ther goes the brekkie run so. Also didn't realise that the race starts at 8:30 which is 7:30 Irish time:(.

As for the rugby I'm sure any Irish bar will be showing it, will probably head to the George Payne as we're staying nerby - need to resist the temptation of scoops while watching it.

Advertisement