Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barcelona Marathon 2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Didn't realise that the expo didn't open until 10 - ther goes the brekkie run so.

Give it a lash anyway. Breakfast run starts at the expo and as i say I am almost certain they were handing out numbers on the morning of it 2 years ago.
    If you have to waste an hour in the area before expo opens; it's not the worst place in the world to be (you can take the excalator up to the olympic Stadium from the expo).

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

Also didn't realise that the race starts at 8:30 which is 7:30 Irish time:(.

Ah yes - I also forgot about the hour difference. That is very early! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Last session tomorrow with 3x1 mile so really starting to feel like taper time!

Reduced mileage + increased appetite has me considering a padlock for the fridge!!

Hoping to stay healthy for the next couple of weeks. Picked up a dose last year during taper and haven't been sick at all this year so far.......praying against the laws of averages!!!!

Best of luck with your final preparations folk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

sideswipe wrote: »
    Last session tomorrow with 3x1 mile so really starting to feel like taper time!

Reduced mileage + increased appetite has me considering a padlock for the fridge!!

Hoping to stay healthy for the next couple of weeks. Picked up a dose last year during taper and haven't been sick at all this year so far.......praying against the laws of averages!!!!

Best of luck with your final preparations folk!

Good to see that injury that kept you out of Donadea is well and truly forgotten at this stage.

In the interests of the George Payne afterwards... Arsenal or Tottenham?
    (You will be shunned if the answer is anything but Arsenal!)

belcarra wrote: »
    Good to see that injury that kept you out of Donadea is well and truly forgotten at this stage.

In the interests of the George Payne afterwards... Arsenal or Tottenham?
    (You will be shunned if the answer is anything but Arsenal!)

Have spent a lot of time running on grass muck the last few weeks, and for the first time ever I think I've managed an injury properly.

With regards the north London derby- an exhilarating 4 all draw would be nice, just looking for entertainment!
    What I'll really be hoping for is a Pool win in the other game:D

• Advertisement

Well F**k u SIPTU! Two text messages from Aer lingus in the last hour, one saying my flight is cancelled and the other saying it's rescheduled:mad:

Anybody else hear anything? I'm on the Friday evening flight with Aer Lingus.

Well F**k u SIPTU! Two text messages from Aer lingus in the last hour, one saying my flight is cancelled and the other saying it's rescheduled:mad:

Anybody else hear anything? I'm on the Friday evening flight with Aer Lingus.

I'm on the sat morning flight so not affected thankfully. What time did they reschedule you for?

I'm on the sat morning flight so not affected thankfully. What time did they reschedule you for?

Just got an update from the website, my flight is put back two hours (6pm-8pm) which is a relief. The cancelation text frightened the crap out of me:eek: Do these people not know i'm in mist of taper madness and as such am rather delicate:rolleyes:

Just got an update from the website, my flight is put back two hours (6pm-8pm) which is a relief. The cancelation text frightened the crap out of me:eek: Do these people not know i'm in mist of taper madness and as such am rather delicate:rolleyes:

Got the exact same txt messages. I'm guessing you are on the same flight as me. Totally freaked out for a few minutes as I frantically searched the website for confirmation. Flight put back by 2 hours is actually a relief now compared to what I had originally thought.

So if the strike action gets called off later in the week or next week, will they put the flight back to the original time?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

I'm due to fly on the Friday but got no text. Think flight was due to be six, have ye been told it's moved to 8?

• Advertisement

I'm due to fly on the Friday but got no text. Think flight was due to be six, have ye been told it's moved to 8?

pudgeydev wrote: »

yep. check the flight changes here

Wow, some amount of flights cancelled. Twil be late when we get there!

Username|Target time:|Actual Time:
    belcarra|3:29:59|
    slow_runner|3:56:59|
    Willo2011|2:59:00|
    SharkTale |3:42:00|
    Sideswipe|3:14:59|
    Izoard | 3.45.00|
    pudgeydev | 5.39.59|
    cian_r| 3.34.59|
    TakeaBowSon| 3.24.59|

Just taking MarthaStew out of the table as unfortunately herself and Joe will be unable to make it this year. All going really well they may be there next year though!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

First look at the weather for next week, may leave my compression top at home so:(

ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 07 13.20.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

So with less than a week to go starting to get antsy, printed off my boarding cards and bib numbr 3 times already:o!

Was wondering what people usually do in the week leading up to a race, any superstitious rituals that you go through. Whats your nutrition like?

Weather update - still 18C for Sunday:):)

So with less than a week to go starting to get antsy, printed off my boarding cards and bib numbr 3 times already:o!

Was wondering what people usually do in the week leading up to a race, any superstitious rituals that you go through. Whats your nutrition like?

Weather update - still 18C for Sunday:):)

Weather wise I'm hoping the Norwegians are right on this one-
    http://www.yr.no/place/Spain/Catalonia/Barcelona/long.html

Taking it nice and easy this week, just trying to eat and sleep well whilst not over thinking things too much. I remember I used to tie myself in nots the week running up to a marathon- especially with the extra complication of packing for an overseas run.....3 or 4 boarding cards will be fine:D

Weather wise I'm hoping the Norwegians are right on this one-
    http://www.yr.no/place/Spain/Catalonia/Barcelona/long.html

Taking it nice and easy this week, just trying to eat and sleep well whilst not over thinking things too much. I remember I used to tie myself in nots the week running up to a marathon- especially with the extra complication of packing for an overseas run.....3 or 4 boarding cards will be fine:D

That's one seriously tasty looking weather forecast! We won't know what to do with a total lack of wind...maybe we should wear kneepads in case we fall over with no wind to push us back upright!:cool:

@ Cian_r - I see you are planning on a sub-3:35.
    If you're interested I can run the first half with you.
    I'd plan on picking it up a bit for the second half to come in for 3:30 but this won't be racing for me so not too bothered about that.
    Will decide based on how I feel on the day.

Fixtures for Sunday:
    298055.jpg
    (I'd not realised the ManU v Liverpool match was the early game!)
    Add an hour for Barcelona kick-off time.

I'll be hoping to make the kick-off for the first match in the George Payne afterwards so hopefully see ye all there during the afternoon!
    Now I'm wondering do they have a beer garden/outdoor area as the weather is still looking perfect...!:)

• Advertisement

Perfect weather for running a marathon - or - Perfect weather for suppin pints in a beer garden!

I hope to be in for the first match too....... after a long sit down shower.

Perfect weather for running a marathon - or - Perfect weather for suppin pints in a beer garden!

I hope to be in for the first match too....... after a long sit down shower.
    :pac:
    That's what we need - a bar pool!!
    The weather works for both. Slightly cooler in the morning for running and then late teens in the afternoon for drinking!

...I may have changed focus for this trip once I realised I wasn't racing it!:o

@ Cian_r - I see you are planning on a sub-3:35.
    If you're interested I can run the first half with you.
    I'd plan on picking it up a bit for the second half to come in for 3:30 but this won't be racing for me so not too bothered about that.
    Will decide based on how I feel on the day.

hey, I'm actually touch and go if I'm going to make it or not. I've somehow managed to pick up a cold and now hoping that it passes in the next few days.

My original plan was to stick with the 3:30 pacers for as long as possible and ease off after about 1/2 or 3/4 in. That might suit you too?

Gonna see how I feel on the day - assuming I get there of course.

No problem. Sure if you manage to make it there then PM me here on Saturday and we can arrange something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Strike is off - thanks for the late notice, boys & girls....

Having said that, this marathon is becoming a serious inconvenience in between all the TV sport over the weekend.

Hopefully, catch a few of you in the GP for the Irish game, before reconvening on Sun afternoon...

Umm, wonder if Aer Lingus will revert to the original schedule?

Umm, wonder if Aer Lingus will revert to the original schedule?

Looks like they will stick to the updated schedule ...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/high-court-grants-injunction-preventing-airports-strike-624903.html

Any of you guys with experience wanna share your marathon checklist? ? If pretty sure I'll forget loads!

Any of you guys with experience wanna share your marathon checklist? ? If pretty sure I'll forget loads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

pudgeydev wrote: »

Nipple plasters and Vaseline - that is all.:)

Advertisement