Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barcelona Marathon 2014

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

pudgeydev wrote: »
    Any of you guys with experience wanna share your marathon checklist? ? If pretty sure I'll forget loads!

Not one for lists myself. Here's one from Runners World

You'll need a big bag if you bring that lot- hope your not on Ryanair:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Good luck to all those of you running this weekend in Barcelona.....all the hard work is done now so ENJOY!!!

PS is there tracking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Good luck to all those of you running this weekend in Barcelona.....all the hard work is done now so ENJOY!!!

PS is there tracking?

There is supposed to be tracking on the main website but it hasn't been uploaded yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Very, very best of luck to all running tomorrow, Mr Stew and I would love to be there with you all; make sure you run extra hard on our behalf and enjoy our share of pints in The George Payne :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck to everyone tomorrow.
    I'll do my best to follow the tracking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Its bloody warm over! here best if luck to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Best of luck folks - enjoy yourselves

Feet up time after the expo. Beautiful day here and a warm forecast for tomorrow- think I'll need my sponge!! Not going to worry about it though, feeling positive and really looking forward to it now. No excuses and nothing left out there 2 Moro!!!
    Best of luck folks and hope to catch up with some of ye in the G Payne after.

belcarra wrote: »
    There is supposed to be tracking on the main website but it hasn't been uploaded yet.

Do you want to post your bib no so we can follow if tracking works?

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Do you want to post your bib no so we can follow if tracking works?

Tough not being able to celebrate Ireland's win or Chelsea's loss... Don't know which I'm happiest about!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Best of luck to everyone for tomorrow. Did this 3 years ago, great experience. Once you hit Las Ramblas, you're nearly home. Enjoy :)

Tough not being able to celebrate Ireland's win or Chelsea's loss... Don't know which I'm happiest about!!

Green all the way:)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

Having the breakfast, besht of luck lads!

Having the breakfast, besht of luck lads!

Right, I know I said no excuses but............. Nah only messing, excellent day all round. I do love this race and if anybody is considering it next year I'd highly recommend.

Conditions at the start were perfect. It did get warm from halfway onwards and pretty hot from 20 miles as we hit the coast and lost the shade of the buildings.

Saw a good few people struggling and I'd actually say it was tougher on the 4hr+ runners as they were left with the worst of the heat.

Missed my target by 1min but have no complaints- got the strategy slightly wrong in that I should have banked a bit of time early on as the 2nd half was much tougher.

But happy with 3:15:56 (garmin) I'm slowly chipping away toward 3hrs but really need to get faster over the shorter distances if I'm to ever make it into the sub3 club!

sideswipe wrote: »
    Right, I know I said no excuses but............. Nah only messing, excellent day all round. I do love this race and if anybody is considering it next year I'd highly recommend.

Conditions at the start were perfect. It did get warm from halfway onwards and pretty hot from 20 miles as we hit the coast and lost the shade of the buildings.

Saw a good few people struggling and I'd actually say it was tougher on the 4hr+ runners as they were left with the worst of the heat.

Missed my target by 1min but have no complaints- got the strategy slightly wrong in that I should have banked a bit of time early on as the 2nd half was much tougher.

But happy with 3:15:56 (garmin) I'm slowly chipping away toward 3hrs but really need to get faster over the shorter distances if I'm to ever make it into the sub3 club!

Excellent. Well done. Enjoy the celebrations and the rest of your trip.

sideswipe wrote: »

Well done Kevin! I finished in 3:37 and was well happy with things. Got very hot in the second half alright but thanks to an efficient first half I ended up gaining about 1,800 places from 5k to the finish mainly due to others suffering.
    Roll on the GP for 5pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Got hit by the heat from 22 mile and struggled from then, was starting to get dizzy at 20 mile mark but kept going until the water station then copped myself on and dropped off the pace. Came in at 4:10, considering the heat in the second half im not too disappointed. Roll on Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Nicola Duncan 2nd in the half in 72ish...mick clohissey 5th in 65ish with Sean Hehir a minute back from that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

PVincent wrote: »
    Nicola Duncan 2nd in the half in 72ish...mick clohissey 5th in 65ish with Sean Hehir a minute back from that.

I think the half was on a couple of weeks ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Apologies, confusion .....Thomas Fitzpatrick 66ish in Lisbon half. A few others at that including Maria Mac. Women's race looked like a sprint finish with 4 within 15 seconds

Decent race now I've had a few hours to think about it. Came into the run on the back of a load of injuries, heel pain the last few months, with my longest lsr being 15miles, done in late Jan.in fact I've not done more than 15 miles since DCM in Oct 2011(3:40).

Organisation at the start was good, great atmosphere, they were playing Pearl Jam as my crowd were leaving so not bad! First few miles were grand before the heel pain kicked in, it was a niggle pain and didn't get worse along the way so could handle it.

Anyway, nice reasonably flat course, I didn't like the 'up and down' around the 17-22k and the 28-30k points, I know it shouldn't but psychologically I don't like seeing distance or people so far ahead!

On my own performance I said I'd try for 9min miles (my lsr pace) as long as I could, knowing that an lsr of 15 miles was nowhere good enough to see me through. I got to 20miles before the wheels started falling off, I don't know if it was in my head or I really was exhausted but did a bit of walking and jogging for the last 6 miles to see me through in 4:15.

As I said not bad considering the training, but was disappointed that I didn't have the mental toughness to get over the 20mile hump.

Anyways, intend on doing Dublin this year, sub 3.30 at least! Thanks to you all for the thread, always good to hear how others are getting on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Abiding memory? Hot & hilly!

Got what the "training" deserved - 3:50....

Spent most of the weekend in the GP enjoying an epic weekend of TV sport - the marathon kinda killed that buzz for a while...:)

Race report finally completed! Find it here if interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

Excellent review of race, well done

Your powers of recollection never cease to amaze;)

Advertisement