Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water restrictions to be imposed nightly

Options
  • 29-10-2013 10:46pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can't see anything about this on the Fingal CoCo website, but according to this IT article, all four Dublin councils will be imposing water restrictions from 8pm - 7am from tomorrow due to a severe issue with one of the water treatments plants.

Just an fyi for people to be aware of

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Stheno wrote: »
    Can't see anything about this on the Fingal CoCo website, but according to this IT article, all four Dublin councils will be imposing water restrictions from 8pm - 7am from tomorrow due to a severe issue with one of the water treatments plants.

Just an fyi for people to be aware of

Yep it's true. If you're using night saver electricity & washing your clothes at night this is gonna cost you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Ah feck! We're up for work at 6! No shower and no cup of tea for us! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Probably only reduced pressure to allow all reservoirs to fill up.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Probably only reduced pressure to allow all reservoirs to fill up.

No, looks like its going to be much worse than that.
    Prior to this, we had introduced reductions in water pressure during the night in an effort to replenish storage levels, but this did not achieve the desired effect.

We will be shutting off supply each night this week in order to conserve supplies.

8pm until 7am is pretty much the entire time that I'm home, so no idea what I'll do if this goes on for as long as last time. If the water is actually back by 7 then it might be OK, but if they are only turning the supply back on at 7, then based on past experience it will be at least 10am before water is back to a decent pressure. I'm up at 6 so its of no use to me either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Marlay wrote: »

8pm until 7am is pretty much the entire time that I'm home:(.

I understand that it needs to be done but surely most homes are vacant during the day.
    If it was from midnight till morning it would be a bit more sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I understand that it needs to be done but surely most homes are vacant during the day.
    If it was from midnight till morning it would be a bit more sensible.

Businesses would then be negatively affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Fingal County Council website has been updated, but no information for how long this will be happening 'daily' (Link)
    Wednesday 30th October 2013 : 12.15

Greater Fingal Area: Because of water issues in the Greater Dublin Area it will be necessary to introduce some severe water pressure restrictions in the Fingal area. These restrictions will take place between the hours of 8.00pm to 7.00am on a daily basis. Some consumers in the Fingal Area may experience total water loss. However consumers are requested to conserve water as much as possible and especially not to use washing machines, dishwashers, showers etc. during the hours of restriction. If water is conserved, water tank storage on premises should be adequate.

We apologise to consumers for any inconvenience caused by this disruption

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Ah feck! We're up for work at 6! No shower and no cup of tea for us! :(

Can't help with the shower but surely you could fill a jug / saucepan or the kettle itself before the water shuts off ? No need to go without the tea !

Can't help with the shower but surely you could fill a jug / saucepan or the kettle itself before the water shuts off ? No need to go without the tea !

Agreed. Ye can't be doing without tea now.
    Also if the water returns during the day when you're at work & providing you don't deplete the tank overnight you should be grand taking a shower where it is not mains fed. It's worth checking what feeds your shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Normally we use the mains fed electric shower, so will have to resort to the crappy hot water tank for a shower (just have to remember to put the water heating on tonight!).

As for tea, well usually there is a fair amount of tea consumed in our house of an evening so we may have to ration it because I don't think we even have enough pots to satisfy the demand!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We didn't seem to lose water last night, the cold tap in the kitchen was running (didn't run it for long tbh)

Shower this morning was the electric shower.

Restrictions are to be extended to start from 6pm this evening according to the radio.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Will the firemen have water tonight :eek:

fergal.b wrote: »
    Will the firemen have water tonight :eek:

Was just talking about that earlier!

Again no loss to pressure overnight for us. I'm beginning to suspect that some of the Balbriggan supply comes from Meath....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

No loss for myself either. Is it only premises that are supplied from Ballymore Eustace that are affected?

I think some of Balbriggan is supplied from Palmerstown and other parts from Lexlip.

And then there is the under ground reservoir at the bog. Is this used?
    Also there is the reservoir in the Naul. Is that used or was it used and isnt any more?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm in Swords and we've had no reduction in pressure either.

sgarvan wrote: »
    No loss for myself either. Is it only premises that are supplied from Ballymore Eustace that are affected?

I think some of Balbriggan is supplied from Palmerstown and other parts from Lexlip.

And then there is the under ground reservoir at the bog. Is this used?
    Also there is the reservoir in the Naul. Is that used or was it used and isnt any more?

Is the one in the Naul the one people go fishing in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Yes it is. http://goo.gl/maps/FTthh

It is called the reservoir locally and has what resembles a walkway and a stepped dam/gate at the exit

sxfq.png

EDIT: Actually just found this and that reservoir seems to feed the Naul - http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Planning/LocalAreaPlans/NaulLAP/Naul%20Natura%20Impact%20Statement.pdf
    It is called the reservoir locally and has what resembles a walkway and a stepped dam/gate at the exit

sgarvan wrote: »
    Yes it is.

EDIT: Actually just found this and that reservoir seems to feed the Naul - http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Planning/LocalAreaPlans/NaulLAP/Naul%20Natura%20Impact%20Statement.pdf

Thanks :) Have always wondered where it was since a taxi driver told me about it :)

Advertisement