Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER cert how long do they last

Options
  • 29-10-2013 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Have a tenant in rented house over a few years & no mention of looking forBER cert. So have decided to bite the bullet be proactive & get one.

Questions

1. How long do they last for?

2. Perhaps should I hold of getting one? Tenant hasn't asked yet but is there an inspection body that call on suspected properties looking for them?

Appreciate advise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

1. 10 years
    2. It's the law, so advice is to get one done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

size5 wrote: »
    ... So have decided to bite the bullet be proactive & get one....

Proactive?? Are you having a laugh?

They've been required for almost 5 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Proactive?? Are you having a laugh?

They've been required for almost 5 years!

Only for new lettings. If the tenant was already there 5 years ago then one isn't needed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ted1 wrote: »
    Only for new lettings. If the tenant was already there 5 years ago then one isn't needed

A BER cert is required for new tenancies that commenced *after* the 1st of January 2009.

DAFT have a decent enough BER FAQ here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I didn't think the BER expire. At least not until you get a better one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

ted1 wrote: »

Lucky tenants in the going on 7 years I hope! cheers for the helpful responses

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I wouldn't bother getting one unless you are going to let to a new tenant. Then I would spend some money upgrading before hand.

If anybody has a house for sale in the same housing estate (assuming it isn't a one off or remote property) that will pretty much give you an idea.

I know I say this every time questions come up about BER but it really is not a great system for telling you information about running costs or quality.

Take an old property made with cavity brick it could easily have an E2 BER. Then take a newer build and it has a B2. Now somebody spends money on external insulation the old property and gets it up to C1. So on the face of it the new house still wins.

But here is the kicker the older house will now keep sound out much better than the new house. The insulation will actually mean the block walls will retain heat and give it back out. The newer property will keep heat in but has no feed back on heat like the block work. This is why when you build a fire outside you surround it with rocks. Then the chances of a new property having good sound insulation are pretty much nil. Their is a fair chance the newer build isn't even built to the code the rating is based on too.

I seriously thought about making my own rating system that was more accurate.

Advertisement