Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Latex allergy

• 29-10-2013 11:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi, I'm just wondering if anybody here has, or knows anybody who has a latex allergy ? I bought a Halloween costume recently and got a very bad reaction from the latex mask. My face literally swoll up like a balloon. And that was only after literally 30 seconds on my face. I wore it again Saturday night and the pain on Sunday was unreal. Off to get blood allergy tests as a result, but I'm just wondering what to expect as in lifestyle changes etc etc if I do in fact have an allergy. I don't want to be reading all the horror stories or freaking myself out for no reason either.

Any info greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Well thankfully I don't think you'll encounter latex too much on a daily basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Yeah I'm allergic to latex. Not as severe as you describe.

The worst reaction I ever had was after a surgery, there was latex in the sticky parts of the dressing covering the wound, and I could feel it itching and burning etc. Eventually I took it off before I was supposed to and found a swollen red blistered area directly where the skin met the sticky bit. Took longer to heal than the wound itself!

Other than that, no condoms, you gotta tell dentists so they don't use latex dental dams, and avoid latex clothing/gloves. I can wear gloves for a few minutes with no issues. For me the reaction seems to get going with prolonged exposure or sweat, when my skin can't breathe.

It's not a big issue tbh.

Advertisement