Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firelogs 1 Euro Each

• 29-10-2013 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi All ,

Firelogs are 1 euro each at Mace, Picked up a couple today. Not sure how long the offer is for though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭shivers27

scholes wrote: »
    Hi All ,

Firelogs are 1 euro each at Mace, Picked up a couple today. Not sure how long the offer is for though.

The BNM fire logs are one euro in superquinn as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭scholes

shivers27 wrote: »
    The BNM fire logs are one euro in superquinn as well.

That's a great deal they are the ones I normally get thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Wispy's in Carrick-on-Shannon have firelogs for 1 euro each also.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Which Superquinn?

• Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭J.P.M

Checked 3 local Mace last night, none of them even knew about it :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

J.P.M wrote: »
    Checked 3 local Mace last night, none of them even knew about it :-(

I found Mace to be notorious for that ... Special Offers advertised on nation wide TV - blank looks from the staff in local Mace. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭shivers27

Danny2580 wrote: »
    Which Superquinn?

Saw them in Superquinn Sutton yesterday

RayCon wrote: »
    I found Mace to be notorious for that ... Special Offers advertised on nation wide TV - blank looks from the staff in local Mace. :rolleyes:

Yep very sad state of affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭try

http://www.mace.ie/special-offers/maxol-mace/2558-MACE

MACE

1 WEEK ONLY ONLY €1
    Firelog

1kg €1 per kg

Valid from 28/10 to 03/11
    At participating stores while stocks last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

was in superquinn portlaoise couple of days ago and they were €2.45:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Why do people need fire logs to light the fire?. Depending what you use is dry it should do the same job and light as quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Steven81 wrote: »
    Why do people need fire logs to light the fire?. Depending what you use is dry it should do the same job and light as quick
    Even at €1 it's an expensive fire :confused: I buy Tesco 30 pack firelighters for around €1.40. I can light the fire every day for a month with some dry kindling :) That's 4.5 cent/day. The fire lights up instantly :) I put this same question to a woman on here about fire logs she said she was a very busy woman and she couldn't be messing around with fire lighters :rolleyes:

jmorrisey wrote: »
    was in superquinn portlaoise couple of days ago and they were €2.45:(
    I can keep my stove going from 5pm-12am for less than that using nothing but coal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭amber2

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Even at €1 it's an expensive fire :confused: I buy Tesco 30 pack firelighters for around €1.40. I can light the fire every day for a month with some dry kindling :) That's 4.5 cent/day. The fire lights up instantly :) I put this same question to a woman on here about fire logs she said she was a very busy woman and she couldn't be messing around with fire lighters :rolleyes:

60 firefighters in Aldi for €1.99, that's 3.3 cents a firelighter :) happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Even at €1 it's an expensive fire :confused: I buy Tesco 30 pack firelighters for around €1.40. I can light the fire every day for a month with some dry kindling :)
    Kindling is 4 quid a bag around here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

drumswan wrote: »

Pricey Rielly, Y'know those plastic potato bags? €2 tops for a bag of kindling. Last you 2 weeks or more

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

They weren't running the offer in the mace in shannon. They were running it in Carherdavin, limerick. Limited to 6 per customer.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Pricey Rielly, Y'know those plastic potato bags? €2 tops for a bag of kindling. Last you 2 weeks or more

Where can you get cheap kindling in Dublin city centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I just start fires with fire lighters as well but in fairness:

You are not factoring in the price of kindling
    You are not factoring in that firelog is also fuel
    Unless you are very careful you are never going to get 30 pieces out of a 30 pack of firelighters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Personally I load my stove with Cardboard and stick a log on top of it. Stick two Aldi firelighters in (which have been pre cut to their respective size) and open all vents.

Come back, close the bottom and keep the top open and throw another two logs on.

She's generally hopping within 30 minutes and you're down to your boxers within 3 hours.

Point to note, most firelogs cannot be used in stoves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Personally we have our own timber which we cut a year in advance to allow to dry out, a few dry twigs and away I go, with the axe I can cut up small to get the stove going well quick initially, everyones case is different in what they are burning.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Personally I load my stove with Cardboard and stick a log on top of it. Stick two Aldi firelighters in (which have been pre cut to their respective size) and open all vents.

Come back, close the bottom and keep the top open and throw another two logs on.

She's generally hopping within 30 minutes and you're down to your boxers within 3 hours.

Cardboard isnt free either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

MarkR wrote: »
    They weren't running the offer in the mace in shannon. They were running it in Carherdavin, limerick. Limited to 6 per customer.

Asked in local store firelogs are four for 5 euro. Lady said for that deal they had to pay in advance for so many of them

amber2 wrote: »
    60 firefighters in Aldi for €1.99, that's 3.3 cents a firelighter :) happy days.
    I tried out lots of firefighters even aldi,tesco fire lighters are saturated with kerosene 1 square lights the fire instantly unlike the rest including zip ;)

Never bought kindling, plenty places giving away pallets, 1 pallet will supply you with kindling for a long time.

I just start fires with fire lighters as well but in fairness:

You are not factoring in the price of kindling
    You are not factoring in that firelog is also fuel
    Unless you are very careful you are never going to get 30 pieces out of a 30 pack of firelighters!

As I said I never bought kindling in my life free pallets, twigs cut offs etc.
    Yes a firelog is fuel as well but it's expensive fuel
    I get 30 fires out of tesco fire lighters all last winter and so far this winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Have things got that bad that we are burning our underwear

Have things got that bad that we are burning our underwear
    :D
    Cardboard isnt free either.
    It generally is with usual household purchases.

As I said I never bought kindling in my life free pallets, twigs cut offs etc.
    Yes a firelog is fuel as well but it's expensive fuel
    I get 30 fires out of tesco fire lighters all last winter and so far this winter.

We dont all live in the country lads, not sure where Id store palettes in my one bed flat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

Where can you get cheap kindling in Dublin city centre?

a pallet from a builders providers of someones skip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

We dont all live in the country lads, not sure where Id store palettes in my one bed flat

Under the 1 bed?

Under the 1 bed?

Could cut out the middle man and just burn the bed maybe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Normally break the firelog in half . Might save a few people a few bob by doing this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

What is the reason for this? I've been using half a fire log to start my stove fire for the last couple of years, so would be interested to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

Binka wrote: »
    What is the reason for this? I've been using half a fire log to start my stove fire for the last couple of years, so would be interested to know.

According to the reply I got in this tread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057071661
    they have petrochemicals in them which are not recommended for stoves so that might be a reason?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

frankz wrote: »
    According to the reply I got in this tread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057071661
    they have petrochemicals in them which are not recommended for stoves so that might be a reason?

Best get the missus to light it so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Seriously-thanks for the info- we've often used firelogs in the past in stoves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I always thought that the log was just compresses timber and it's just the paper that contained petrochemicals for lighting purposes?:confused:
    If the paper was removed it could be used as normal fuel.

I use kindling and plain paper to light the fire then throw on a paperless log for fuel.

Binka wrote: »

I believe it's as stated above. It's generally written on the package. Potential for projectiles etc....

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I always thought that the log was just compresses timber and it's just the paper that contained petrochemicals for lighting purposes?:confused:
    If the paper was removed it could be used as normal fuel.

I use kindling and plain paper to light the fire then throw on a paperless log for fuel.

Why don't you try a fire pack light the pack and sit back they are only a fiver :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Why don't you try a fire pack light the pack and sit back they are only a fiver :rolleyes:

What are you raving about?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

damian139 wrote: »
    Seriously-thanks for the info- we've often used firelogs in the past in stoves

No worries,
    twas just info I picked up myself from that thread a few days ago! Happy to pass it on.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    What are you raving about?
    Did I hit a nerve :) Just telling you about an instant fire you can buy for a fiver ;)

So would have a stove been mis-sold when someone was told they could use firelogs.

Back to the point. Mace is not delivering on their offers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

I burn the fire logs in the stove. Only the odd time when they are got cheap and I want instant heat. A good hot fire the next time around will burn any fire log residue from the flu. Bord na mona premium stove coal is the way to go. Half a bucket heats the house all night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

J.P.M wrote: »
    So would have a stove been mis-sold when someone was told they could use firelogs.

Back to the point. Mace is not delivering on their offers!

I got five of them (limited to five per customer) in my local corner shop Mace.

Returned the next day and got another five.

Not bad value in my book for an hour's worth of fire, and easy-peasy lighting with no petrol-smelling fingers :D (I too am someone with neither the space nor the resources - nor the energy, tbh - to be storing and chopping up pallets)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Could cut out the middle man and just burn the bed maybe

ahh ha but ... "How do we sleep while our beds are burning ...."

great song from the 80's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpkGvk1rQBI

Advertisement