Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice please

Options
  • 29-10-2013 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work in a department of 8 people , three of us being permanent,( one only in the last month or so having been working as a contractor with us since March).The thing is my immediate supervisor has more time and respect for this new person , and the other permanent employee than me, even though I have been there substantially longer than these two.

It is not out right bullying or anything, more like exclusion...I am not told anything pertinent to the department , say for example, when we are getting a new team member, I am not asked my opinion on anything, I am not told any changes to the department or even any general workplace info that is told to the other two and that I usually have to hear second hand from them.The supervisor even went so far as to have a meeting with the other two last week , from which i was omitted......my ability to complete my work is not in question here

Truth be told , perhaps I do not get on as well with the supervisor as these two do ( due to my inability to brown nose and perhaps not be as vocal )....should I just keep the head down, do my work and get out of the place in the evening...or should i be dusting off my CV...the situation is getting untenable for me as I feel very unmotivated . demeaned by this obvious favouritism p.s approaching my supervisor may not be a possibility as I believe this would make the situation even more unbearable......
    Any advice on how to proceed is greatly appreciated ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

First Question do you do the exact same work as your co workers?

As reguards Respect, respect is earned not given irrespective of rank or seniority,So the second question would be have you earned the respect of your supervisor?

Next question is are you directly involved in the management/running of the department?

If not then there is no reason why you should be informed about the hiring/firing or changes to the department unless they directly concern you.The meeting between your co workers and your supervisor may have concerned them or projects they are working on and your input was not rquired

How is your relationship with your co workers?Is it good,bad,or indifferent?

You seem to be able to complete your work in a satisfactory fashion so it would appear that what ever you are being leaft out of does not effect you

I know it sucks to feel marginalised and unappreciated but you are the only one who can change this. I would say suck it up, forget the office politics and just get on with it. Quiting should not be taken lightly as getting another job may not be very easy, the first question a perspevtive new employer will ask is why did you leave your last job? answer I resented my supervisor and his/her relationship with my co workers. I think you should face this issue now and find out exactly what the problem is before it eats you like a cancer, you say you are unmotivated if you let the slide continue you may well need to dust off you cv as you may be ushered towards the door.

To sum it up you have 2 choices im afraid. either confront the issue head on and clear the air or continue going the way you are going which in my opinion is a recipe for disaster in your personal and working life.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just to answer a couple of your questions, one of the individuals is a more senior position, I don't report to them but they would be considered higher than me (they are salaried, I am wage) so it is understandable then that maybe they are informed of things like this, it is the second person who is doing the same job as me, but is nevertheless informed of these management / team changes when I am not. It is none of their concern either but they are still confided in. For example, they were both asked by my supervisor separately, what they thought of another member of the team's work so that the supervisor could determine whether to renew their contract or not (which based on their responses, is a not)........I was not asked my opinion.

Earning their respect is not that black and white, it seems to come down to how pally I can be with the supervisor and not how well i do my work.
    If I said I could not get something completed in time, i would be treated like a lost cause, whereas I know if this other person said the same thing , the supervisor would be very understanding and accomodating.

Maybe it just comes down to a compatibility of personalities I don't know.I do my work and meet my targets.

Thanks for your advise , It has given me a lot to think about

Advertisement