Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bichon Frise

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Taking out the breeding question which to be honest seems like something you really did little or no research into, have you looked at some of the issues that come with owning bichons? While I think they are a fantastic dog they are very high maintenance:
    • Regular (daily) grooming needed i.e brushing - they have a double coat and this is essential to stop it matting and becoming painful for the dog
    • Weekly / bi weekly bath grooming - this process alone is time consuming and can take 2 hours to do right from bathing to drying and brushing
    • Regular professional grooming needed.
    • It is a breed known for needing a lot of companionship - you say you work from home but does this allow you time to spend with your dog during the day
    • House training - bischons are renowned for being a difficult breed to house train. Personally I think this can be over come with good methods and a determined owner. But are you and the kids willing to keep enforcing training methods long after the puppy - newness has passed?
    • While Bichons are good with kids they are a small dog and often cant handle the rough housing that comes with young children. Personally I cant imagine them settling well in a house full of children under the age of 8 who understand a puppys needs and when to leave the dog alone.
    • Finally the breed does have heath issues (as most pure breeds do) have you thought about the extra cost this may result in. They are particularly senstive to skin problems and as a result you will need to work on finding a diet that keeps this in check - mainly this will mean the more expensive (and probably) better quality dog foods, and maybe even fresh or raw (speaking from someone with a pure bred with such allergies). Other heath issues involve bladder (and kidney) stones, loose kneecaps, juvenile cataracts, excessive tartar/tooth decay, and hip dysplasia. Some of this can be avoided by going to a reputable breeder but some are inherent to the breed and you just might end up unlucky.

Aside from this you have the standard puppy issues to cope with (chewing, biting, peeing, scratching, tearing, sleepless nights, whining, shredding - yes even bichons can lose hair) along with having three young children.

While I got a puppy two years ago I wouldnt change it for the world but it was very very very hard work and there was only me and my OH involved. As you work from home you are in a better position that most but I strongly advise you to take on all the advice given here - believe me when I say it will be a life saver.

A lot of posters here are very anti-puppy presents at Christmas. Personally I am as well. A dog is for life and just like most Christmas presents the novalty could wear off.

My suggestion to overcome this would be to take your children to a local rescue, see how they interact with dogs. Then if you still want to go ahead I would get them the dog essentials for Christmas and start preparing for your arrival - leads, bowls, kennels etc. Have the children learning from the start that a dog is work. Getting a puppy later in the year as well also reduces your chance of ending up with a puppy breed by a backyard breeder - these guys are rife at this time of year as many people push ahead with the puppy present agenda.

Best of luck with your decision and if you do get a dog be sure to pop back here where there is tons of advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

<snip>

Leave nasty comments out of the thread cocker5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

<snip>

That's a little harsh, not to mention a little hypocritical!

OP, I think you are right, thread should be locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

kaza2710 wrote: »
    [*]House training - bischons are renowned for being a difficult breed to house train. Personally I think this can be over come with good methods and a determined owner. But are you and the kids willing to keep enforcing training methods long after the puppy - newness has passed?

Just on this point, I would suggest that you expect to do all or 90% of the work with the pup because it is a very very good young kid that is capable of doing all that needs to be done with a young puppy. I think often you hear stories where dogs/pups are surrender to rescues because the kids weren't looking after it and the adult wasn't going to do the work.
    Ever child will promise to look after a puppy but the reality is that there needs to be adult who does 90% of the work and teaches teaches the kids what is required as time goes by.
    Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Don't do it.
    You want 2 dogs for 3 girls.?
    You might breed them.?

Don't get a dog until you know what you are at.

Really if YOU want a dog ,but for kids that will grow and not care for these dogs it will be left to you to look after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I'd prefer if there were more people breeding Bichon's than Rottweilers tbh. Families weren't your target market then.

><

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭puppieperson

Your opening question is so surreal i think you might need to get an education. Would you breed with your own brother? Then why would you think its ok with dogs?
    The amount of dog breeding that is going on to give idiots a few quid is down right disgusting the rescue centres are full of your good intentions. ~Perhaps try getting your kids the electronic robotic dogs instead of real ones as there needs to be a knowledgeable person in a house hold where dogs will live and you knowledge is very sadly lacking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Your opening question is so surreal i think you might need to get an education. Would you breed with your own brother? Then why would you think its ok with dogs?
    The amount of dog breeding that is going on to give idiots a few quid is down right disgusting the rescue centres are full of your good intentions. ~Perhaps try getting your kids the electronic robotic dogs instead of real ones as there needs to be a knowledgeable person in a house hold where dogs will live and you knowledge is very sadly lacking.

Puppieperson, calm down. I have already issued you with a red card for your conduct on another thread, and I see you're being as impolite and judgemental here too.
    If I see one more post from you which fails to show a modicum of respect for other posters, you will be banned from the forum.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement