Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mornin vomit and grass

• 30-10-2013 8:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    it's a couple of morning that Jago is vomiting a bit.
    I see grass.. I know that sometimes he was eating grass but no vomit until now.

My previous dog was doing the same, but..

I am thinking to two reasons.
    Food.
    A couple of weeks ago he started to eat Royal Canin (when he has been alway on JamesWellBeloved or for a short while skinners).

He is always trying to destroy toys-stuff and swallowing them.

If there was something stuck the symptoms would be more serious no?

I'll go back to jamesWellBeloved in few days anyway!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭b_mac

My dog gets sick if I walk him too soon in the morning after he is fed.

What is your feeding/walking schedule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

usually in the morning they have first access to the backyard, I'll drink my coffee and have breakfast and then we'll go for a walk play out.
    Before leaving for work I'll give them food.

He is vomiting in the morning before food, yesterday and today, only grass and yellow-white liquid (sorry for disgusting you)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

What time is his last meal at night, jsabina?

Usually around 7 - 8 in the evening.
    he gets one in the morning after the walk around 8 and one in the evening around 7-8 not before 30 minutes / 1 hour after the long afternoon walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

jsabina wrote: »
    Usually around 7 - 8 in the evening.
    he gets one in the morning after the walk around 8 and one in the evening around 7-8 not before 30 minutes / 1 hour after the long afternoon walk.

I have to give my GSD a tiny amount of food in the morning ( v- early, usually around 5:30) before his walk ( ususally around 6:45/7) or he will be sick. He's a raw fed dog and he digests his food rapidly, so his stomach can be quite empty from the night before and this that leads to a bile vomit, not a food vomit.

• Advertisement

So it's not the eating grass that makes Jago vomit?
    I'll try to give a bit of food as soon as he wakes up tomorrow morning.. not sure if he will be interested.

I am just concerned that he swallowed something he shouldn't have to (yesterday I caught him chewing wood..)... but maybe he would vomit all day or more.. hopefully.

I'll keep an eye on him...
    thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

op my female westie would have done the same thing when i fed her royal canin. once i switched food, problem ended. your dog is eating grass in order to make themselves sick so something is irritating their tummy.

maybe the new food just isnt agreeing with them?

Yeah I am thinking the same.
    I am giving them royal canine because is the food that my foster dog eat and I was on crutches couldn't go to buy JamesWellBeloved.
    He was fine for a couple of weeks until two days ago he started with that.

From tonight I'll switch back to his previous food and let's see!

Thanks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

All of my dogs, all different breeds and makes, have done this bile-y yellow vomiting in the early morning, for the same reason fatmammycat has posted about: their tummies get irritated when empty. For the record, it happened them when they were fed dry food too.
    My solution is to give them a late feed just before bed. As long as I've done this, there's never been a puke!
    That all said, this is one of a few explanations, but I think the other possibilities are well covered in this thread :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

I would agree with the empty stomach idea after all the bile/acidic content of a dogs stomach can break down bone fragments

so what is it capable of doing to the stomach lining

• Advertisement

Bh,
    Jago tonight didn't want any food.. not the old and not the new (he is never too enthusiast anyway about the kibbles).
    It could be a bit of upset stomach... tomorrow I'll make some chicken for him maybe :P
    Let's see.. :S
    thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have to give my GSD a tiny amount of food in the morning ( v- early, usually around 5:30) before his walk ( ususally around 6:45/7) or he will be sick. He's a raw fed dog and he digests his food rapidly, so his stomach can be quite empty from the night before and this that leads to a bile vomit, not a food vomit.

+1 on this - I've had to fast my guy a couple of times a few months ago when he was going in for xrays/tests and he brought up bile.

tk123 wrote: »
    +1 on this - I've had to fast my guy a couple of times a few months ago when he was going in for xrays/tests and he brought up bile.

Aye, it's pretty common from everything I've read. So quick nibble in the early am and he's happy as Larry until breakfast. I don't feed him breakfast until later as his morning run is his main one for the day and 'labour intensive' so to speak, and I worry about bloat. Sigh, always something.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

Have to agree with eating grass on an empty stomach as the possible issue here. My two dogs vomit grass and bile if they eat grass in the morning before being fed, similar to some posts above. They eat grass regularly but only seem to vomit if it has been a good few hours since the last feed. They are both raw fed now, before this they were on kibble and the grass has the same effect on an empty stomach no matter what there diet is. As they are good eaters and wolf down there food, i'd only get concerned if they wouldn't touch there feed after vomiting. You can eliminate whether an empty stomach is the cause by feeding first thing in the morning for a week or two and then revert back to letting them eat grass first. As for Jago not eating tonight, like you said it may be just an upset stomach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

how is jago today jsabina

Oh,
    he had his food and he did not vomit anymore..
    I will keep an eye on him,
    but he looks fine and active!

I am just struggling a bit with food because they really don't want their kibbles..
    I am considering raw food, but not sure yet.. I'll read a bit more about that!

Oh glad to hear the little guy is feeling better.

Advertisement