Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New housemates

Options
  • 30-10-2013 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I moved into a new place about two weeks ago. When i veiwed the place, it was clean and tidy (well mostly). But after living there for a few weeks, I now see that my housemates never clean up! I have not seen them in a few days and am itching to say something!!
    Also we have this prepaid electricity thing installed and one of the aforementioned couple (who is unemployed and spends all day watching tv) expects me to pay a certain amount of money into this machine that would facilitate his usage. I use very little electricity as I work and am gone most of the time!
    I don't want to cause an argument with the couple as we still have to live together. Should i contact the landlord?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Contact the Landlord about what?
    Adults should be able to sort out their own problems by dialogue and compromise so I would recomend trying that first.

With regard to the bills, sometimes you just have to suck it up. When I was sharing I often lived with those who wanted heating on early in the year where I wouldn't have turned it on if living on my own. Equally sometimes I cooked more than others and I definitely used the electric shower more than a particular girl I remember but the agreement was to pay equal portions so that is what I did.
    With someone who is unemployed you are wasting your time worrying about the electriciy the TV uses. What you should be worried about it all day heating for the next 6 months but you knew all this before you moved in right?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭skwinty

But how is that fair that i top up this electricity meter with my money and my housemate uses most of the electricity?
    I was not told that the prepaid system would be installed during the weekend gone past.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Life is sometimes not fair.
    Maybe sit down with your housemates and raise the issues you have with them and come to an amicable solution. If civil discussion or a solution acceptable to you cannot be reached you may need to reassess your future in the house (this will of course depend on what kind of lease you have signed).

As I said electricity is a minor expense in comparison to the cost of heating a house for someone who is there all day. I had a girl living with me once quit her job and burned through half a tank of oil in 4 weeks as she sat it the house all day.
    If you knew someone living in the house was unemployed then this should not be a surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

I know a few of my friends in college who are renting together who have a prepaid meter. Some go home at the weekend while others stay up. Everyone pays a set amount of electricity at the start of the week (they've done a chart that each person ticks off when they've topped up the meter.)
    Those who stay up at the weekends look pay extra though as they use more electricity.
    Best thing to do is sit down with your housemates and work out a system.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭marlie2005

Even if the prepayed meter hadn't been installed, how would you have divided the bill when it had arrived ?. It would be very hard to prove what KW 's each individual had used so you would split the bill between you.

having a meter is much the same.

• Advertisement

i didn't know he was unemployed until just the week gone past. He also controls the heating and has it on for a number of hours without need. The way he wants the electricity to be paid is €10 per week, i find that extremely expensive since if it was bill pay it would not be that expensive. He is making that figure because he wants to make sure that his electricity is paid.

I have not signed a lease and the landlord expects that i give 2 month notice when i want to move out, which i also think is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

skwinty wrote: »
    i didn't know he was unemployed until just the week gone past. He also controls the heating and has it on for a number of hours without need. The way he wants the electricity to be paid is €10 per week, i find that extremely expensive since if it was bill pay it would not be that expensive. He is making that figure because he wants to make sure that his electricity is paid.

I have not signed a lease and the landlord expects that i give 2 month notice when i want to move out, which i also think is ridiculous.

I suppose you could get an average usage while you are there and see how it relates to what is being asked of you.
    I would probably just sit down and tell him your concerns and try and work it out before it escalates.

How many people are living in the house OP. you said housemates , if it is over 2 then yes €10 euro a week is very expensive. Can you see on your prepayed meter what it uses a week ?

If you have no lease and just moved in then you do not need to give 2 months notice. Your notice period is 28 days. Should you be unable to resolve the issues with the other tenants provide notice in writing to the landlord.

@marlie2005: There are 4 of us in the house, 2 who work full-time who are rarely there, 1 works part-time and the other is unemployed. I think €5 on my part is sufficient. I have not looked at the meter yet. It would be great if such an option was available.

@Pawwed Rig: Does the landlord have the right to withold my deposit if i only give 28 days notice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

@marlie2005: There are 4 of us in the house, 2 who work full-time who are rarely there, 1 works part-time and the other is unemployed. I think €5 on my part is sufficient. I have not looked at the meter yet. It would be great if such an option was available.

@Pawwed Rig: Does the landlord have the right to withold my deposit if i only give 28 days notice?

It is possible to check prior/average usage with those prepaid meters.

oh great, thanks @dobsdave

No he doesn't although he might attempt it. If he does lodge a complaint with the PRTB which you will win

Have a look at the meter and see what the usage is, With 4 in the house paying €10 each, yes you are compensating for others. €5 sounds about right but you will have to agree this with the others of course .
    With no lease in place should be able to give 28 days notice with no effect on your deposit.

I plan on talking to the housemates this evening and sort it out. I don't want to pay for someone else's usage, although that is how it would work out with bills.
    Well the present accommodation was only supposed to be short-term anyways, until me and my partner get a place of our own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP it sounds like a top of an ice berg. If you are having issues over trival stuff I imagine you are going to have bigger issues in the future. I imagine the person sitting at home all day will also rack up a massive gas bill

You only have to give your landlord 28 days notice. He can't withhold your deposit if you give him 28 days notice. But if you think he will, although I don't agree with dont pay your final months rent and tell him to use it as a months rent.

I don't think you knew your room mates or set down the ground rules. I would usual say suck it up. Don't waste your time on bs like this.

Personally I don't think it is very trivial. This is money i'm on about, which really isn't that trivial at all. Why should I pay for this other guy's usage?? I'm not a doormat and he obviously intends on treating me so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Life is too short to be putting up with this rubbish as is making complaint to PRTB. You have no lease, probably not registered with PRTB. Cut the best deal you can and go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Bills are generally split by the number of people in a share house. i you are being asked for a tenner a week in leccie then make sure that everyone else is paying the same amount at the same time. Maybe say that you will buy the tokens or whatever way it is loaded onto the meter that way you have some semblence of control over it.

Advertisement