Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish grammar question 6

• 30-10-2013 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

can someone explain to me ainmfhocal sa tuiseal ginideach uatha/iorla please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 dob1234

This questions requires you to find a singular or plural noun

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PelicansX4

dob1234 wrote: »
    This questions requires you to find a singular or plural noun

Wrong. It can ask for other grammar aspects also.

Well in the required question that is stated, it is what they ask for "ainmfhocal sa tuiseal ginideach uatha/iorla" that is what they ask you,
    they can obviously ask you for other aspects of grammar

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PelicansX4

dob1234 wrote: »
    Well in the required question that is stated, it is what they ask for "ainmfhocal sa tuiseal ginideach uatha/iorla" that is what they ask you,
    they can obviously ask you for other aspects of grammar

Okay, but still any noun would not be correct as you said. It has to be in the TG. E.g: when two nouns come together the second goes into the TG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

doogybag wrote: »
    can someone explain to me ainmfhocal sa tuiseal ginideach uatha/iorla please?

You should be looking for a noun that has entered the tuiseal ginideach as a result of either possession, two nouns appearing side by side, by following certain phrases, or by coming after the "ing" part of a verb.

Uatha simply means singular while iolra means plural.

Examples:
    in aice an ti. (uatha)
    hataí na bhfear (iolra)
    le linn sosa (uatha)
    ag togáil clainne (uatha)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭doogybag

robman60 wrote: »
    You should be looking for a noun that has entered the tuiseal ginideach as a result of either possession, two nouns appearing side by side, by following certain phrases, or by coming after the "ing" part of a verb.

Uatha simply means singular while iolra means plural.

Examples:
    in aice an ti. (uatha)
    hataí na bhfear (iolra)
    le linn sosa (uatha)
    ag togáil clainne (uatha)

ok but lets just say in 2012 paper it asks for ainmfhocal sa ghinideach uatha and the answers are anam na gcluichi and roimh thus na gcluichi, but how come iontais de na heachtai or I gcluichi stocolm isn't?

im so confused with that?

PelicansX4 wrote: »
    Okay, but still any noun would not be correct as you said. It has to be in the TG. E.g: when two nouns come together the second goes into the TG.

yes that is what i ment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

ok but lets just say in 2012 paper it asks for ainmfhocal sa ghinideach uatha and the answers are anam na gcluichi and roimh thus na gcluichi, but how come iontais de na heachtai or I gcluichi stocolm isn't?

im so confused with that?

Anam na gcluichí and tús na gcluichí are examples of Tuiseal Ginideach Iolra (plural).
    The reason being that they are both possesive.

Tús na gcluichí = the games' (plural) beginning - the beginning of the games
    Anam na gcluichí = the Games' (plural) soul - the soul of the games

Same as:
    Lár na Páirce (midfield) - the middle of the field - the field's middle
    Bun na Spéire - the bottom of the sky - the sky's bottom
    Hata an fhir - the hat of the man - the man's hat
    Eireaball an mhadra - the tail of the dog - the dog's tail
    Captaen na foirne - the captain of the team - the team's captain

Note that you can often describe them say the "___ of the ____"

Can you describe "iontais de na heachtai" in this form?

"i gcluichí Stocolm" would be Tuiseal Ginideach but it is singular (Uatha) because there is only one Stockholm, whereas you were asked for TG Iolra.

(The examples I gave above are also Tuiseal Ginideach Uatha, I was just trying to get across the understanding possesion)

Anam na gcluichí and tús na gcluichí are examples of Tuiseal Ginideach Iolra (plural).
    The reason being that they are both possesive.

Tús na gcluichí = the matches beginnings - the beginning of the matches
    Anam na gcluichí = the matches liveliness/soul - the spirit/liveliness of the matches

Same as:
    Lár na Páirce (midfield) - the middle of the field - the field's middle
    Bun na Spéire - the bottom of the sky - the sky's bottom
    Hata an fhir - the hat of the man - the man's hat
    Eireaball an mhadra - the tail of the dog - the dog's tail
    Captaen na foirne - the captain of the team - the team's captain

Note that you can often describe them say the "___ of the ____"

Can you describe "iontais de na heachtai" in this form?

"i gcluichí Stocolm" would be Tuiseal Ginideach but it is singular (Uatha) because there is only one Stockholm, whereas you were asked for TG Iolra.

(The examples I gave above are also Tuiseal Ginideach Uatha, I was just trying to get across the understanding possesion)

ok thanks, why can is iontais de na heachtai not T.G no?

ok thanks, why can is iontais de na heachtai not T.G no?

"Beidh daoine ar fud an domhain ag déanamh iontais de na heachtraí iontacha..." is the sentence.
    This means roughly: "People all over the world will be in awe of the brilliant events..."

So there is no possesion involved in that part of the sentence. DO you unerstand what I mean by possession?

As a side note, another common time a word is put into the Tuigseal Ginideach is when it comes after the Ainm Briathra (the -ing form of a verb.) Here, iontas is put into the Tuiseal Ginideach as it follows "ag déanamh"

Iontas = wonder/awe >>> Ag déanamh iontais(T.Ginideach)

Samplaí eile:
    Staidéar = study; >>> Ag déanamh staidéir (T.G.) (Doing study/studying)
    Airgead = money; >>> ag caitheamh airgid (T.G.) (Spending money)
    Móin = turf; >>> ag baint móna (T.G.) (Cutting turf)
    Allas = sweat; >>> ag cur allais (T.G.)
    Báisteach = rain; >>> ag cur báistí (T.G.)
    Clann = children; >>> ag tógáil clainne (T.G.)

• Advertisement

"Beidh daoine ar fud an domhain ag déanamh iontais de na heachtraí iontacha..." is the sentence.
    This means roughly: "People all over the world will be in awe of the brilliant events..."

So there is no possesion involved in that part of the sentence. DO you unerstand what I mean by possession?

As a side note, another common time a word is put into the Tuigseal Ginideach is when it comes after the Ainm Briathra (the -ing form of a verb.) Here, iontas is put into the Tuiseal Ginideach as it follows "ag déanamh"

Iontas = wonder/awe >>> Ag déanamh iontais(T.Ginideach)

Samplaí eile:
    Staidéar = study; >>> Ag déanamh staidéir (T.G.) (Doing study/studying)
    Airgead = money; >>> ag caitheamh airgid (T.G.) (Spending money)
    Móin = turf; >>> ag baint móna (T.G.) (Cutting turf)
    Allas = sweat; >>> ag cur allais (T.G.)
    Báisteach = rain; >>> ag cur báistí (T.G.)
    Clann = children; >>> ag tógáil clainne (T.G.)

so is this not one because they asked for plural instead of singular, like if they asked 4 singular would that be an answer?

"ag déanamh iontais" would be a correct answer if they had asked for Tuiseal Ginideach Uatha (singular). "iontais" is the T.Ginideach form of iontas

"ag déanamh iontais" would be a correct answer if they had asked for Tuiseal Ginideach Uatha (singular). "iontais" is the T.Ginideach form of iontas

ok I think im getting 2 understand it, can they ask anything else in t.g?

There'd be more qualified people to answer that than me. I haven't taught LC HL yet and there was no grammar question like that on the course when I did it. Can't imagine there'd be much more asked other than being able to pick out examples, but your teacher would be a better person to ask.

The thing with the Tuiseal Ginideach is that students use it without knowing throughout their years in school.
    Bus scoile, mála scoile, deireadh seachtaine, am lóin, obair bhaile,
    Oíche Shamhna, Oíche na Nollag, muintir na hÉireann, cluiche peile, breacadh an lae,
    fear an phoist, fear dóiteáin, clár teilifíse, Raidió Teilifís Éireann, Raidio na Gaeltachta,
    Uachtarán na hÉireann, foireann na Gaillimhe...the underlined words are all in the Tuiseal Ginideach!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 favour

so what is the best way to approach the comprehension in the irish higher level paper
    and is there any notes available for the 6 b question thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Rainbow97

Caiseoipe19, just came across this post because I'm doing exam papers for the lc. Irish language needs more people like yourself helping by posting online :-) great job

Advertisement