Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External drive only showing as 54.6MB

Options
  • 30-10-2013 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

I have 2 unused 320Gb sata 2.5" drives.

I bought 2 enclosures for them to use them as external drives.

When I connect them up - either drive, either connector - both drives are only showing as 54.6mB, tested on a few computers.

I know the drives are good, have I been sold bad enclosures or is there anything else I could do?

Any ideas?

- Altoid.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

No unused space on these drives? Checked with Disk Management?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Altoid

54.6 mB was showing after a format - so there should be no space used on the drives at all.

But the formatter is only showing the drives to be 54.6.

I've never seen anything like it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Not talking about format, open the disk management console and see if there is any unallocated space on the drive(s).

Something like this:

4DkbH0K.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

As Torqay suggested, you need to check for unused space in Disk Management - you could be just formatting the only present partition that's 54.6MB in size - if you can see it like below and there is another ~300GB unallocated, delete the first partition and create 1 new larger one using all the space.

DiskManager.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Altoid

Torqay & advertsfox thank you both!

That was indeed the issue - both drives now re-partitioned and re-formatted.

Thanks for the help.

- Altoid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement