Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Meters

Options
  • 30-10-2013 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭

So, went to see my sister yesterday and most of the drives on her road are blocked because the water meters are being installed. Seems like a massive job just to install a meter and an inconvenience to residents having to park on the road.
    Also according to the journal, water restrictions are going to be in place to be reviewed on a daily basis.
    So whats the craic with them, how much are they going to cost to run? If its anywhere near what my leccie costs I'm going to be living in a box.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Not sure TBH, there's lots of rumours knocking around but wouldn't believe any.

I'd also be looking for some sort of guarantee of the meter's accuracy, a calibration certificate or similar before paying anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Turned out my sisters car was blocked into her drive for two days by the work being done. Absolute joke.

Ours was done this week. Someone called to the door the previous week to inform us and to suggest we move cars out if needed. It was only a minor inconvenience. They worked from 7am to 7pm every day, and they were IRISH!

Ours was done this week. Someone called to the door the previous week to inform us and to suggest we move cars out if needed. It was only a minor inconvenience. They worked from 7am to 7pm every day, and they were IRISH!

Well they were working at my sisters for nearly three days.

Not sure what you mean by your comment "they were IRISH!" :confused:

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Well they were working at my sisters for nearly three days.

Not sure what you mean by your comment "they were IRISH!" :confused:

I'm used to Irish Council workers taking long teabreaks and knocking off at 5 o'clock! Then again, they're not council workers, are they? Is the work done by contractors? When they did our road, they started by replacing all the pipes on the stretch of road (in the country), then came back when that was all done and did the meters. Hopefully it'll mean the end of burst pipes. Took 3 weeks in all to do a 5 mile stretch, with 25 houses and 5 farms.

• Advertisement

I'm used to Irish Council workers taking long teabreaks and knocking off at 5 o'clock! Then again, they're not council workers, are they? Is the work done by contractors? When they did our road, they started by replacing all the pipes on the stretch of road (in the country), then came back when that was all done and did the meters. Hopefully it'll mean the end of burst pipes. Took 3 weeks in all to do a 5 mile stretch, with 25 houses and 5 farms.

Ah I get ya, yeah you never see people working when there are road works. Not sure they are sorting the pipes so they don't burst.

Really worried about what the bills are going to be like though. Struggling to keep on top of the ones I have already. :O

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Ah I get ya, yeah you never see people working when there are road works. Not sure they are sorting the pipes so they don't burst.

Really worried about what the bills are going to be like though. Struggling to keep on top of the ones I have already. :O
    Hang in there. I've just had a look in my crystal ball and things will get better!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

We have had our meter in for the past year and a bit or so and it was installed by Sierra. Couldn't fault them - they did a good job.

The three regional contractors who have been appointed to manage the installation of water meters across six regions are GMC/Sierra Ltd, J Murphy & Sons Ltd, and Coffey Northumbrian Ltd.

You see the Coffey vans and trucks going around Navan at the moment doing all the estates one by one.

Talking to a mate in meath coco, he reckons Irish water will charge or are at least in talks to charge somewhere approx €1.49 per 1000ltrs of water through your meter. Dont quote me on that yet though, as it likely to change.

Roughly, after keeping an eye on our meter over the past year we use on average 400 to 500 ltrs per day in our house.

So at that speculative amount and not taking vat or meter rental/charge into the equation as we dont know how much it will be, that would mean a speculative bill amount of about €250 to €270 per year for water.

I reckon a bill of about €300 per year for water for us.

And you can guarantee that with each yearly government budget, just like petrol and alcohol, they will slowly increase water too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

So does every house get a meter? Looking at the irish water website it says that since our house has a private well/sceptic tank we won't be their customers. Anyone have an idea ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

haro124 wrote: »
    So does every house get a meter? Looking at the irish water website it says that since our house has a private well/sceptic tank we won't be their customers. Anyone have an idea ?
    Just those on a public system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement