Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jacket suggestions.

Options
  • 30-10-2013 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Need a jacket that will do for running and cycling. Im a sweater so dont want anything warm I can layer for the cold. Just want something to keep me reasonably dry. Would cycling jacket be best bet. Not too pricey either
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Depending on what you are doing a good wind proof cycling jacket might have you overheating on the run.

I tend to have a baselayer as my main protection for running in winter and then either a rain jacket or just a t-shirt over it. Obligatory hat and gloves as well though! Although if its wet I tend to like the back pockets on a cycling jersey for some protection for the iphone

For cycling thats a different story with me - probably as i am not pushing hard enough i get cold easily on the bike so I am layered like the Michelin man. However I did splash out on an expensive cycling jacket this year which I was told only needs a base layer unless its uber cold - now all I need to do is actually try it out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

IMHO the fit of a cycling top and a running top are so different I see little reuse possibilites

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Need a jacket that will do for running and cycling. Im a sweater so dont want anything warm I can layer for the cold. Just want something to keep me reasonably dry. Would cycling jacket be best bet. Not too pricey either
    Thanks.

Forget about trying to stay dry. Just run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

You're best bet is something along the lines of this Brooks Hybrid Wind Shirt. I've worn one for the past few winters and bar a downpour it's perfect for running.

If you sweat heavily a jacket is going to increase this regardless of how breathable it is. At least with this top ^ you can sweat, the material won't store the moisture and the windproof front will stop your chest from getting cold. In showers the material will get wet, but dries quickly without getting heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

There are huge range of options depending on exactly what you really want and how much you are willing to spend. Personally I like full-on waterproof jackets. Every gore-tex jacket I've used doesn't have enough breathability, but my Columbia Omni-tech jackets are way better and I can happily use them in both training and races as their breathability is so good (And the pure shell version I have is very light indeed).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Thanks.

I think you are better off getting two jackets.

A bike one is essential and I think a running one is too if you are exposed to harsh harsh conditions. For years I went without a water proof running jacket. Last year I got from from AmphiankingWest as I just couldn't cope with the driving wind and rain and cold running along the sea where I work. To be honest it was a pricey(ish) jacket but can you put a price on comfort?

"There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear"

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Diamond_25

get 2 cycling jackets, one for dry cold weather and buy a pocket-rocket rain proof jacket that you can carry in the back pocket of your normal cycling jacket to put on if it rains - you can keep warm but not too warm and then stick on the extra layer when it rains on you - job done. alternatively try a gillet but when it gets cold you will suffer in it on the bike. Altura make decent jackets

how long is your longest run, 1.30-2hrs for most tri guys I think. so for run consider a base layer with either a gillet over it if its dry but cold and a full on rain jacket if its pissing. some of the Ronhill running jackets are good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Really good running and cycling gear in Aldi today.

Advertisement