Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork fund raiser cycle

Options
  • 30-10-2013 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭

Hi all, there is a cycle planned for next Sunday 3rd of Nov leaving from Cork City Hall at 9 am. It is a boards spin fund raiser for Irish Cancer Society and the Irish Hospice Foundation. It is in support of a bordsie who is fighting cancer, in his own words...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by le petit braquet
    Thanks to you all. I've been very touched by the response of people on Boards to me as I am a total stranger to most of you. Concern and compassion for others is certainly one of the things that make this country great.

As I said on the other thread, above all else I want to raise awareness in men that any unusual change in your body should be checked out by a doctor. This should help with early diagnosis of a multitude of potential illnesses including cancer and early diagnosis improves prognosis.

In my case I ignored an inverted nipple for at least a year. The issue is not whether I knew that this was a possible symptom of breast cancer, and that men also can get it. Rather I should have got it checked and found out for sure that it wasn't a symptom of ANY possible illness. Instead I took the classic male approach of "ah sure it's not hurting me so why would I see a doctor". I like to think of myself as reasonably intelligent with a couple of degrees and a professional qualification to apparently prove it. However my stupidity in this regard points to an IQ that could be shared with an average brick.

There is of course no guarantee that I wouldn't still be in this position if it turned out the cancer I had was particularly aggressive, but at least I would have the consolation of knowing that I had given the doctors the best shot at curing me.

That being said, there is nothing like a terminal illness to give you a perspective on life. I have been inspired by the courage of Donal Walsh, that remarkable young man from Kerry who was taken by cancer before his 17th birthday. I've had 38 more years life than him, been married for 31 to my teenage sweetheart and reared three great kids. In the grand scheme of things, it's far more important to count my blessings and look back at the wonderful life I've had, rather than regret the "what might have beens". I can pick up the paper or look at the news any day and find lots of people in a far worse position than myself. Sorry if that bit comes across as "preachy" or sanctimonious but as Sean Kelly would say I have to "make the calk-U-lation"

Thanks again Boardsies, I feel like you've provided me with a "grand peloton" to shelter in.

Padraig

There is a thread about it here

Have a read, it would be great to get your support!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I was wondering who would share this in here! Hope Everyone Enjoys the Boards Cycle for Cancer :)

Should make a Lovely Spin!

Advertisement