Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subscriptions for iPad as a gift

• 30-10-2013 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for my question so if it needs to be moved Mods please do.
    It is my husband's birthday soon and I was planning on buying him a 12 month subscription to Wired magazine. All good so far. However, he commutes and I'd like to be able to buy it for his iPad. Have any of you done this succesfully? I'm worried that I'll buy it only to discover that its only able to be downloaded in the UK or USA or such.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'd suggest getting in contact with Wired and asking them directly.

Moving this to the Apple forum

dudara

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There’s a Wired app in the App Store. A 1-year subscription via Newstand costs 22 euro or something. However, I don’t think there’s any way to gift somebody a Newsstand subscription currently. You might be better off just getting the magazine subscription which includes a login for the iPad app. Will cost more though and may be a waste if he doesn’t want the print edition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

There’s a Wired app in the App Store. A 1-year subscription via Newstand costs 22 euro or something. However, I don’t think there’s any way to gift somebody a Newsstand subscription currently. You might be better off just getting the magazine subscription which includes a login for the iPad app. Will cost more though and may be a waste if he doesn’t want the print edition.

Thanks, I'm unsure which is the best way to go about it. It can be nice to get something that isn't a bill delivered!
    Maybe if I did push ahead with the Newsstand subscription I could do an iTunes voucher? Don't like that as much though. :( I've emailed iSubscribe but they haven't replied as of yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Never heard of iSubscribe. I'd imagine you'd have to subscribe with Wired to get the print and iPad edition.

https://www.circules.com/subscribe/wired-uk/90370

Not sure if non-UK subscribers get the iPad edition though. The small print suggests they may not.

Going the Newstand route would involve getting an iTunes voucher and using his iPad and Apple ID to subscribe.

It's a lot of hassle. Easier to just give him an iTunes voucher and let him spend it as he wishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The Zinio app is good on the ipad. Not sure if you can do a gift with them though, but an email to them might answer it quick enough. If not, if you buy, create an account, and he logins into the account on the app with the details you set up. You can download and read offline

App:> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zinio-magazine-newsstand-reader/id364297166?mt=8

Wired:> http://gb.zinio.com/www/browse/product.jsp?productId=500642302

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Zinio is well worth signing up with. You can get excellent deals with them and they regularly send out coupons for a free 5 or 10 dollars so you can try new magazines. The user experience is excellent too as the app runs smoothly and is enjoyable to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Slightly OT but €22 seems very reasonable for a 12 month subscription. Is this the normal price for a lot of subscriptions now? I havent visited Newstand or Zinio in a long time because of the high subs.

Advertisement