Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paused squats & bench vs regular squats & bench

• 30-10-2013 1:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

I meant to pose this question a while back and after reading COH's log I thought I'd post here rather than hijack a log.
    What I'm wondering is can paused squats and bench be used exclusively in a cycle to increase a 1-3rm or do you ultimately need to be handling the heavier weights on a regular basis too?
    Personally I've started doing ATG high bar paused squats as there's only a 10kg difference between my low bar squat and deadlift max so Im presuming my squat was high and I want to give my back more of a break.
    Also my bench is weakest off the chest and my deadlifts weakest off the floor so I'm thinking at the very least it couldn't hurt. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Do you plan on competing? How controlled are your lifts at the moment i.e. how much bounce is there going out of the hole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

I believe all benches should be paused. Definitely if you plan to compete. There is no point in getting a 160kg bounced bench if you compete and can't do 140kg in a comp.

It also puzzles me the way you hear "The pause is killing my bench" on comp day from lifters. You knew there was going to be a pause it wasn't a surprise. If you plan on competing your touch and go bench is no more relevant than your floor press or board press as far as your overall bench PR goes. You can still do them, but it's not your PR.

Making things slower, more deliberate and more difficult is the way to go IMO.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I've always paused my bench and squat. It's the correct way to do them IMO, otherwise you're just bouncing them.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Brian? wrote: »
    I've always paused my bench and squat. It's the correct way to do them IMO, otherwise you're just bouncing them.

There's also the middle ground called "control" :D

I think paused benches are awesome, and paused squats are muck.

3 second negatives on your squats would be a much better and crueler option imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Brian? wrote: »

Never cared for paused back squats. Once I get below parralel it's time to get the fruck out of there!

I pause my front squats having said that, it seems much easier to rebound out of the bottom of one of them and I like to keep them really controlled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I don't see myself competing anytime soon its more a question of being able to make steady progress for as long as possible before plateauing.
    Having total control of the lifts is what I would like as I dont like the thought of divebombing, hoping the stretch reflex will get get me out of a literal and figurative hole.
    What I'm really wondering is is it possible to train everything paused to improve your standard squat and bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Sangre wrote: »
    Do you plan on competing? How controlled are your lifts at the moment i.e. how much bounce is there going out of the hole?

I've never really bounced on bench just reversed as soon as it touched my chest, my squats were all pretty wide until lately and I've never found that to be a position I felt safe bouncing out of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

I like pause squats.

They're great for positions if you have difficulty with that. I also found them pretty good for my hips which I put down to keeping really tight at the bottom. I'd never bounce my squats or recommend anyone do it. When I say pause I mean for a 2 or 3 count nothing crazy.

Are they going to lead to a bigger squat? I don't think so but they're a nice way to get comfortable controlling your descent and work on your positions. I'd still do normal squats one a week with them if you want to push your overall numbers up.

Advertisement