Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Starting to suspect I'll be having a giant baby even though I've a very neat bump!! When baby moves now it feels like an elephant twisting in there, and when it shoves it's bum out the front of my bump I swear it feels absolutely enormous!

Only 10 days to my due date now, still reckon I'll go over as nothing is happening below my belly button. Not engaged at all, Dr today said head is still very mobile.

However I'm starting to find the unpredictability with regard to timing a little bit unsettling now. I have a mental dialogue with myself every day when I'm deciding what to do that day - sometimes I think I should rush all my tasks in case I go soon, other days I've no motivation to do anything productive cos I reckon I've weeks to go. I'm wrecking my own head!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    <...>
    Not engaged at all, Dr today said head is still very mobile.
    <...>
    I heard exactly the same thing today from the midwife. She reckons I have at least two more weeks to go :( and I was hoping to go in early...

j@utis wrote: »
    I heard exactly the same thing today from the midwife. She reckons I have at least two more weeks to go :( and I was hoping to go in early...

It's a bit frustrating alright when things seem to be going nowhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

It's a bit frustrating alright when things seem to be going nowhere :(

Ive been engaged since 32 weeks, last check two weeks ago said 3 5ths of the head is engaged and still no sign of me going into labour 2 days before my due date! I wouldnt worry too much!

Got my waxing done this morning. My back is absolutely killing me now from getting up and down off the table and moving into different positions seeing as I couldn't lie on my front. Felt like a beached whale stranded up on the table at times!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Got my waxing done this morning. My back is absolutely killing me now from getting up and down off the table and moving into different positions seeing as I couldn't lie on my front. Felt like a beached whale stranded up on the table at times!!!

How extensive a wax did you get done? I usually opt for a full on Hollywood given if I'm gonna get my bits out there and go through that much I figure I might as well go the whole hog.
    I'm coming close to needing to get waxed again soon but have a definite bump now (27+6 today) so can't go on my front at all. I think I could still maybe get my legs in the air which helps ........ Really don't like the thoughts of having to go on all 4s for it though.
    First world problems eh? :-)

How extensive a wax did you get done? I usually opt for a full on Hollywood given if I'm gonna get my bits out there and go through that much I figure I might as well go the whole hog.
    I'm coming close to needing to get waxed again soon but have a definite bump now (27+6 today) so can't go on my front at all. I think I could still maybe get my legs in the air which helps ........ Really don't like the thoughts of having to go on all 4s for it though.

Eh no I didn't get a Hollywood! Not my thing even at the best of times :) Just a general tidy up of bikini area along with the regular legs/underarms etc. You're a braver woman than me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

<...>First world problems eh? :-)
    Exactly! I'm not bothered, not a slightest or maybe it's just my age (34yo) 10 years ago or so I'd be terrified to go in with some extra hair that shouldn't be there, or should it??! ah whatever! hospital staff has seen it all: hairy, bold, patchy diy job, plaited, dyed orange, you name it ;)

Exactly! I'm not bothered, not a slightest or maybe it's just my age (34yo) 10 years ago or so I'd be terrified to go in with some extra hair that shouldn't be there, or should it??! ah whatever! hospital staff has seen it all: hairy, bold, patchy diy job, plaited, dyed orange, you name it ;)

Yep I'm not concerned by showing it off either! It'll be trimmed and tidy but it's definitely staying where it is!!

Yep I'm not concerned by showing it off either! It'll be trimmed and tidy but it's definitely staying where it is!!

I'm normally quite bald, but since I can't shave it and I don't do wax, the midwives are getting a nice dose of stubble and they can just deal with it :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'm getting my highlights done and my Hollywood tomorrow at 38 weeks. You'll be absolutely fine. I've never had to go on my front for a Hollywood so not sure how your beautician does it but any worth beautician worth their salt will make it as easy as possible for you.

Eh no I didn't get a Hollywood! Not my thing even at the best of times :) Just a general tidy up of bikini area along with the regular legs/underarms etc. You're a braver woman than me!

I got my legs, bikini line and underarms lasered a few years ago and it's been brilliant. Since the bump has gotten sizable I've been really happy not to have to add shaving or waxing my legs to the list of other things that are now awkward. The wax I tried once on a whim and have been hooked ever since.

Merkin wrote: »
    I'm getting my highlights done and my Hollywood tomorrow at 38 weeks. You'll be absolutely fine. I've never had to go on my front for a Hollywood so not sure how your beautician does it but any worth beautician worth their salt will make it as easy as possible for you.

Thank you. My beautician gets you to go on the front just for the ....ahem, tidying up aspect. She has assured me that we'll work around things for when ended later in the pregnancy.
    I booked my leave at work so finishing up Sept 19th and cannot wait. Have appointment for a full head of highlights, eyebrow shape and tint the following Monday and will throw in a wax too then I think. I'll be 38+6 then and the baby can arrive any time it wants to after all of the above is done.
    Gotta have priorities right don't you?:-)
    I don't know when I'd get to have my full head of highlights done after the baby arrives. I have a lot of hair and getting a full head takes hours and it's one thing asking someone to mind the baby (or taking it with you) for a wash and blow dry but 5 hours is a bit much.

Too right. It's just for myself that I'd like to get it done before hand. I imagine my under carriage will be quite sensitive after the baby is born and I'll be less than enthusiastic about letting the hot wax near me then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Had my 38 week antenatal check this morning, me and Lulu are the picture of health. It really has been a textbook pregnancy so here's hoping the birth is along the same lines. She's low and in a great position but doesn't look like she's in a hurry to go anywhere yet. Back for another appointment in two weeks when I'll be two days over my due date... weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Thank you. My beautician gets you to go on the front just for the ....ahem, tidying up aspect. She has assured me that we'll work around things for when ended later in the pregnancy.
    I booked my leave at work so finishing up Sept 19th and cannot wait. Have appointment for a full head of highlights, eyebrow shape and tint the following Monday and will throw in a wax too then I think. I'll be 38+6 then and the baby can arrive any time it wants to after all of the above is done.
    Gotta have priorities right don't you?:-)
    I don't know when I'd get to have my full head of highlights done after the baby arrives. I have a lot of hair and getting a full head takes hours and it's one thing asking someone to mind the baby (or taking it with you) for a wash and blow dry but 5 hours is a bit much.

I hear you on the priorities! :) I'm the same. I've always had a Hollywood and figure if I end up having to have a section or stitches I want it as bald as possible before any procedure in case I'm restricted for any time after the birth. Same with the highlights, I've a LOT of hair and it takes hours so best get it done now while I have the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

I went for my 39 week appointment today, and baby is apparently still pretty high, but partially engaged, so expect at least another 10 days. The period pains I was having at the weekend are a good sign mind you. The consultant hopes I have plenty more of those over the next week..........they are pretty bad, but at least I know they have a purpose.

Starting to think someone may outstay his welcome and be forced out.

Is anyone planning on having their mum or sister staying for a few days after arriving home from hospital?? I hadn't given it much thought but the GP I saw yesterday was really pushing the idea. I know my mum would be happy to help but part of me thinks it would be nice to have the house to ourselves after the hustle and bustle of the hospital.........mmmmmm decisions!

Is anyone planning on having their mum or sister staying for a few days after arriving home from hospital?? I hadn't given it much thought but the GP I saw yesterday was really pushing the idea. I know my mum would be happy to help but part of me thinks it would be nice to have the house to ourselves after the hustle and bustle of the hospital.........mmmmmm decisions!

We're staying in my mum's house for the first two nights home, and then possibly OH's parents' house for the next night or two. She can talk a lot of nonsense, but the one thing I know she is right about is that we will both want those first few nights of good sleep and she's offered to do the night feeds.

No, mine lives close enough by for her to call in and visit for a little while and go again. She is a great help when she comes though as I've seen with my older sisters when they have children. She always arrives armed with dinner (lasagne, casserole or such), does your ironing, sends you off to bed / to have a shower and then has her cuddles with the baby.
    ShaShaBear wrote: »
    We're staying in my mum's house for the first two nights home, and then possibly OH's parents' house for the next night or two. She can talk a lot of nonsense, but the one thing I know she is right about is that we will both want those first few nights of good sleep and she's offered to do the night feeds.

Would it not be easier on you to have them come to your house and stay with you rather than be moving around so much so soon after the baby is born?:confused:

• Advertisement

You're very organised! I plan on feeding myself so even if my mam comes she can't help with that (other than support as she's an experienced breastfeeder), i'd be more thinking she can help with cooking, shopping, washing etc. So I can focus on the feeding and trying to rest in between times. Sure how could she turn down an invitation to come and be my personal slave!!!

No, mine lives close enough by for her to call in and visit for a little while and go again. She is a great help when she comes though as I've seen with my older sisters when they have children. She always arrives armed with dinner (lasagne, casserole or such), does your ironing, sends you off to bed / to have a shower and then has her cuddles with the baby.

Would it not be easier on you to have them come to your house and stay with you rather than be moving around so much so soon after the baby is born?:confused:

We only have one bed so we can't have anyone staying over and it's too far for OH's family to travel to meet the baby. We already have overnight bags and baby bags in both houses so it's only a matter of driving to each :o Much easier than having an entire clan of OH's family from as far away as the UK driving and getting buses down to us just for us to send them away because we have nowhere for them to sleep (or even sit if there's more than 4 of them at a time :p )

You're very organised! I plan on feeding myself so even if my mam comes she can't help with that (other than support as she's an experienced breastfeeder), i'd be more thinking she can help with cooking, shopping, washing etc. So I can focus on the feeding and trying to rest in between times. Sure how could she turn down an invitation to come and be my personal slave!!!

My plan is to breastfeed as well so obviously I intend on getting up (unless I have early success with the pump :o ) but while I can totally appreciate that my mother would bend over backwards to help me, she is also a bloody nuisance and I would much rather (a thousand, thousand times over) to be in her house anyway and "let" her help out, than possibly arrive down in tears begging for help. She'd never let it go :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

We only have one bed so we can't have anyone staying over and it's too far for OH's family to travel to meet the baby. We already have overnight bags and baby bags in both houses so it's only a matter of driving to each :o Much easier than having an entire clan of OH's family from as far away as the UK driving and getting buses down to us just for us to send them away because we have nowhere for them to sleep (or even sit if there's more than 4 of them at a time :p )
    Just over from the June board so hope you don't mind me throwing in my two cents! While the extra help might be great, I'd be very wary of organising a load of visitors for those early days. I was unprepared for how unfit I would be for visitors. I don't mean physically, I just mentally felt overwhelmed if I had more than two visitors at once! It was a weird feeling, I would actually feel claustrophobic and panicky which is something I've never experienced before. I'd say it was three weeks before I was fully back to myself and could enjoy the visitors and revel in showing her off. It may not happen to you, but I have heard a lot of other new mums mention it, so don't be afraid to specify 'no visitors' for the first few days til you get back on your feet.

Hope you're all keeping well, 5 week old baby girl tomorrow here. It really is amazing and worth every pregnancy and labour pain!

ncmc wrote: »
    Just over from the June board so hope you don't mind me throwing in my two cents! While the extra help might be great, I'd be very wary of organising a load of visitors for those early days. I was unprepared for how unfit I would be for visitors. I don't mean physically, I just mentally felt overwhelmed if I had more than two visitors at once! It was a weird feeling, I would actually feel claustrophobic and panicky which is something I've never experienced before. I'd say it was three weeks before I was fully back to myself and could enjoy the visitors and revel in showing her off. It may not happen to you, but I have heard a lot of other new mums mention it, so don't be afraid to specify 'no visitors' for the first few days til you get back on your feet.

Hope you're all keeping well, 5 week old baby girl tomorrow here. It really is amazing and worth every pregnancy and labour pain!

You'd have to meet our folks to know, especially on my side, but short of refusing to answer the door to them, you couldn't stop them from visiting :o Tbh I feel like I'd rather get it out of the road than having one or two calling every day. Plus with me being at my mother's house, it's not me that has to entertain. I don't want anyone coming to my own house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I'm thinking I'll be of the same mind as ncmc. I adore my mum but having her stay over would be too much, we've discussed it already and she's said herself she will be quite happy to come and go as needed in the first couple of weeks. We've put the word out through the grandparents that there'll be no visitors bar siblings and grandparents (and maybe some very close friends who I can easily say "make us a cuppa would you!??" to :D) for the first few weeks, and we'll host a "meet the baby" type thing when the baby is a month or so old and I'm feeling mentally ready for it :)

ncmc wrote: »

I am going to be fairly strict on visitors, though it's easy to say that now as I don't anticipate I'll have too many. The main reason is that I don't want anything interfering with breastfeeding. So the word is already being spread that no visitors are to arrive at my hospital bed without ringing myself or my husband. If I'm feeding they'll be told to go get a cuppa and we'll ring them back as soon as they can come up. The rule will apply to anyone except my husband, mum and sister.

Then at home again I'll be calling the shots! If I don't want to see visitors husband can tell them I'm asleep upstairs and he can bring baby down for a quick look. Guarding the door is another reason my mother would be useful if she stays!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Hope ye are all well girls myself and baby ruby came home yesterday so happy to be home xx we are doing great bit of getting used to for her big sister but they will get there xx

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WoollyWoman

Not sure what way I'll be after the baby arrives so I've asked my Mam to come for a few days when I get home. Even if she's just sitting knitting in the chair, just having her there will be comforting. We're not likely to get too many unannounced visitors at the door...in that event I'll be shuffling off upstairs too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Oh ShaSha of course it's your own decision, but honestly, I cannot imagine many new parents wanting anyone but yourselves to do those lovely precious nightfeeds in the first few nights! Whether you're bottle or breastfeeding.

In a few weeks, you'll be screaming for the in-laws to do them, and by all means go and stay as much as possible with each family then - you'll really appreciate it!

But those first few days - you're your own new little family, you need to get to know each other, in my own opinion baby shouldn't be confused with too many people in this big new world.

Everyone is different, and I'm sure you've taken everything into consideration already. But when the time comes, and if you feel differently, please don't feel under any pressure, go with what feels right for you at the time ... if you feel like travelling around, great, but if you just want to spend time at home with partner and baby, that's great too! You won't know til the time comes, so don't commit yourself to any definite arrangements.

Advertisement