Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

ncmc wrote: »
    Just over from the June board so hope you don't mind me throwing in my two cents! While the extra help might be great, I'd be very wary of organising a load of visitors for those early days. I was unprepared for how unfit I would be for visitors. I don't mean physically, I just mentally felt overwhelmed if I had more than two visitors at once! It was a weird feeling, I would actually feel claustrophobic and panicky which is something I've never experienced before. I'd say it was three weeks before I was fully back to myself and could enjoy the visitors and revel in showing her off. It may not happen to you, but I have heard a lot of other new mums mention it, so don't be afraid to specify 'no visitors' for the first few days til you get back on your feet.

Hope you're all keeping well, 5 week old baby girl tomorrow here. It really is amazing and worth every pregnancy and labour pain!

I have to totally agree with this girls. Your head can go all over the place and now with the little man at 2 weeks old I feel pretty much back to myself but there were a few very odd days. A week in we went to my mams to let my family come and meet himself and I felt like I was going to have a panic attack on the way down so you need to cut yourself some slack and if you have people over don't try and do the entertaining thing, a cup of tea and a baby cuddle for an hour is more than enough. I assumed after labour I'd finally have my body back from pregnancy and be jumping around the place but I've been very quiet the last two weeks and it's done me a world of good as it's a hugely emotional time (in all the best ways too) and hugely tiring. My other half has been a whirlwind doing everything around me and himself and giving the all vital emotional support and my mam is also doing our washing which is a blessing!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    I have to totally agree with this girls. Your head can go all over the place and now with the little man at 2 weeks old I feel pretty much back to myself but there were a few very odd days. A week in we went to my mams to let my family come and meet himself and I felt like I was going to have a panic attack on the way down so you need to cut yourself some slack and if you have people over don't try and do the entertaining thing, a cup of tea and a baby cuddle for an hour is more than enough. I assumed after labour I'd finally have my body back from pregnancy and be jumping around the place but I've been very quiet the last two weeks and it's done me a world of good as it's a hugely emotional time (in all the best ways too) and hugely tiring. My other half has been a whirlwind doing everything around me and himself and giving the all vital emotional support and my mam is also doing our washing which is a blessing!

Plus Nobody tells you how ****e you feel after giving birth! I felt like I was in a car crash for 2 weeks afterwards my legs arms back bum everywhere hurt! The recovery can be tough I was expecting to feel like normal straight away!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

I'm also from the June thread and completely agree! If you're breastfeeding then baby will be feeding around the clock from you for the first few nights to get the supply established. The last thing I would have wanted is someone else getting involved - you will probably just sleep with baby in the bed to try to catch a few minutes sleep here and there. i had my parents dropping over for short visits and that was enough. i went over to them for a day when baby was 3 weeks old as they had other relatives staying and even then it was completely overwhelming - people trying to hold him when he just wanted boob - it was all too much.

Also be very careful with the pumping - feeding is pretty much non-stop for the first few weeks and full supply isn't established until 6 weeks. I had great supply but with baby always feeding I could only get time to get a couple of oz here and there, which we've used to get him familiar with a bottle. No pump will get as much milk out as a baby so if i were to pump and give him the bottle i would still have to give him the boob too. Just something to be aware of as relying on the pump can have an impact on supply! breastfeeding is great but it's really all on mammy and nobody can really help - it's the thing I've found hardest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

I'm also from the June thread and completely agree! If you're breastfeeding then baby will be feeding around the clock from you for the first few nights to get the supply established. The last thing I would have wanted is someone else getting involved - you will probably just sleep with baby in the bed to try to catch a few minutes sleep here and there. i had my parents dropping over for short visits and that was enough. i went over to them for a day when baby was 3 weeks old as they had other relatives staying and even then it was completely overwhelming - people trying to hold him when he just wanted boob - it was all too much.

Also be very careful with the pumping - feeding is pretty much non-stop for the first few weeks and full supply isn't established until 6 weeks. I had great supply but with baby always feeding I could only get time to get a couple of oz here and there, which we've used to get him familiar with a bottle. No pump will get as much milk out as a baby so if i were to pump and give him the bottle i would still have to give him the boob too. Just something to be aware of as relying on the pump can have an impact on supply! breastfeeding is great but it's really all on mammy and nobody can really help - it's the thing I've found hardest!

All great advice. I think if you really are determined to give feeding your best shot you have to be willing to prioritise it over everything else for the first few weeks. Other people and plans just have to work around you and baby. I know my mum understands that as she fed us all for extended periods hence she will be happy to just keep the show on the road in the background and leave me be with the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    All great advice. I think if you really are determined to give feeding your best shot you have to be willing to prioritise it over everything else for the first few weeks. Other people and plans just have to work around you and baby. I know my mum understands that as she fed us all for extended periods hence she will be happy to just keep the show on the road in the background and leave me be with the baby.

You're so lucky to have that support. My mother used formula so the concept is alien to her and I know she thinks I feed him too much! It really is constant at the beginning and poor Dad has to take a back seat but that's only temporary - I bet in a few months it will be all about Dad (and I'll be mega jealous!)

• Advertisement

My bump is officially a nuisance!! It isn't even big but it just makes everything so awkward. Half the time when I move/sit/lie I end up feeling like baby and every single one of my internal organs is getting squashed. It is so unpleasant :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Oh Ocean I hear ya. This end of pregnancy malarkey is bringing about a whole new level of discomfort, I'm so over it all at this stage :o

Jerrica wrote: »
    Oh Ocean I hear ya. This end of pregnancy malarkey is bringing about a whole new level of discomfort, I'm so over it all at this stage :o

Yeah I'm just not in the humour to be pregnant today :/
    I'm feeling fed up and lethargic and I want to just do nothing but then I feel bad cos it's so nice out and I should be doing productive things. And it's not as if doing nothing is even a real option because lying or sitting down for any length of time is so bloody uncomfortable!!
    Plus it has really hit me today how I could go into labour anytime and my husband could be 100s of miles away. If my waters break Monday to Friday during working hours I'm fecked :( Really need baby to announce it's imminent arrival during the night or at the weekend so he can stay close to base!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Hey ladies! Am in hospital with preeclampsia which is a royal pain in the ass! Admitted yesterday with protein and high BP and they are keeping me in again tonight for observation. Am on tablets for BP now. Thankfully Baby Merkin is as busy as ever and been described as a very active and happy baby so all good :) Had my 38 week scan this morning and he looks great. Now that I've been diagnosed they will induce me on my due date which is two weeks from today if they can keep BP under control. Am feeling quite chilled tbh, hospital staff are amazing as of course is my darling Mr.Merkin so all good. Hope you're all feeling ok xx

Merkin wrote: »
    Hey ladies! Am in hospital with preeclampsia which is a royal pain in the ass! Admitted yesterday with protein and high BP and they are keeping me in again tonight for observation. Am on tablets for BP now. Thankfully Baby Merkin is as busy as ever and been described as a very active and happy baby so all good :) Had my 38 week scan this morning and he looks great. Now that I've been diagnosed they will induce me on my due date which is two weeks from today if they can keep BP under control. Am feeling quite chilled tbh, hospital staff are amazing as of course is my darling Mr.Merkin so all good. Hope you're all feeling ok xx

That's a nuisance but at least now they have caught it early they can get it under control quickly hopefully. And if there is a bright side it's that you know you defo won't be going overdue!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Definitely a nuisance but at least you have a final date now to know when he is coming!!

Im getting induced on the 24th. Due today but she has decided to dislodge herself from my pelvis and is almost completely back to back, so looks like we have an over due baby on our hands! Also MW reckons at LEAST 9lbs, and that's conservative. Doctor said the same thing last week. She's coming out with the schoolbag and lunchbox :p

Thanks so much girls, I agree. It's not ideal but I'm in the best hands and it's quite nice knowing when he'll arrive and that they're not going to let me go way over. I know these last few weeks are hard on us all but we are nearly there. The main thing that's irritating me is my broken sleep really!

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Definitely a nuisance but at least you have a final date now to know when he is coming!!

Im getting induced on the 24th. Due today but she has decided to dislodge herself from my pelvis and is almost completely back to back, so looks like we have an over due baby on our hands! Also MW reckons at LEAST 9lbs, and that's conservative. Doctor said the same thing last week. She's coming out with the schoolbag and lunchbox :p

Did your baby un-engage? I did not know that was possible......
    Re the weight estimate? Is that the weight now or what they estimate it will be if you go overdue?

Did your baby un-engage? I did not know that was possible......
    Re the weight estimate? Is that the weight now or what they estimate it will be if you go overdue?

They can indeed, and apparently it is extremely common!

Weight estimate right now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WoollyWoman

Glad they caught the preeclampsia early Merkin. Did they tell you to keep your feet up when you get home or can you still move around/exercise as normal? You sound pretty relaxed so that'll help the BP to fall. Reassuring to know the little guy is doing well :-)

Woke up this morning saturated with the heat (thought waters had gone) and crampy period-like pain...no...just full bladder and full of wind!

Hang in there ladies xxx

Glad they caught the preeclampsia early Merkin. Did they tell you to keep your feet up when you get home or can you still move around/exercise as normal? You sound pretty relaxed so that'll help the BP to fall. Reassuring to know the little guy is doing well :-)

Woke up this morning saturated with the heat (thought waters had gone) and crampy period-like pain...no...just full bladder and full of wind!

Hang in there ladies xxx

Hate hate hate those wind cramps! I can fully empathise now with the pain babies experience when they can't shift wind easily :)

They can indeed, and apparently it is extremely common!

Weight estimate right now :o

I would love to know the estimated weight of my baba but they don't check in Wexford unless there is any issue that indicates baby is particularly large or small. And seeing as I'm having the most average of average pregnancies I don't expect they'll look into it. Then I think maybe it would be best not to know........come next week I'll probably be begging them to check and if they tell me it's a big baby I'll be cursing myself for not accepting that ignorance is bliss sometimes!!!

I would love to know the estimated weight of my baba but they don't check in Wexford unless there is any issue that indicates baby is particularly large or small. And seeing as I'm having the most average of average pregnancies I don't expect they'll look into it. Then I think maybe it would be best not to know........come next week I'll probably be begging them to check and if they tell me it's a big baby I'll be cursing myself for not accepting that ignorance is bliss sometimes!!!

By all accounts bigger babies are easier birthed, all the midwives have said as much! I'm a teeny bit glad for my first. I am terrified enough of holding this tiny little thing that I made, a bit of extra weight might make her seem a tad less breakable :o

By all accounts bigger babies are easier birthed, all the midwives have said as much! I'm a teeny bit glad for my first. I am terrified enough of holding this tiny little thing that I made, a bit of extra weight might make her seem a tad less breakable :o

No way, I wonder why that is??!

Baby Merkin estimated at a very respectable 7lb14oz this morning which we were pleasantly surprised by!! I had thought he'd weigh about a stone at this rate so pleased with progress!

Yes, babies can pop their heads in and out of being engaged apparently but my midwife said last week that once it had engaged at all and even popped out that it is fairly easy for it to pop in again!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Ah merkin you poor thing x at least they caught it early rest up now and relax x the end is in sight x

Girls the last few weeks are so so tough but when you have your baby in your arms it's so so worth every ache and pain for the last 9months and more xx

I'm so in love with my little ruby and my Rachel be lost without both of them x Rachel is a great help too I thought her nose would be out of place the only thing was she was out with me for going away for a few days xx which might I add broke my heart coz she wouldn't even look at me but all is back to normal now thank God xx

My new favourite chill out pose is the starfish. Lounging back on the couch with arms out and legs spread wide up on the poof yoke- it gives maximum space to my bump with no squashing. I look ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Merkin wrote: »
    Baby Merkin estimated at a very respectable 7lb14oz this morning which we were pleasantly surprised by!! I had thought he'd weigh about a stone at this rate so pleased with progress!

Yes, babies can pop their heads in and out of being engaged apparently but my midwife said last week that once it had engaged at all and even popped out that it is fairly easy for it to pop in again!!

Glad to hear you're in great spirits Merkin and that baby is doing good! Glad hospital are taking good care of you and that you're feeling good about things! Our baba was 8lbs 3oz so you may be in for a similar size!

Oh Merkin that must have knocked you sideways :/ I'm glad you're being well taken care of in hospital, how are you feeling about the induction process? It's funny, a couple of months ago I was adamant that induction would never be for me, but as time marches in and hearing some of the gentle induction storied that have been shared I think I'm much more amenable to the idea. I presume there's still a chance you could go yourself before the EDD to go?

Ocean that sounds like an incredibly comfy position tbh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WoollyWoman

Listening to an 'Unplugged Compilation' cd all week when doing my breathing exercises and there's a Brian Adams' song called "I'm ready" with very apt lyrics! It's a lovely song :-)

Thanks for warm wishes girls. Beta blockers helping and BP has come down a bit so that's good. I'm actually in a room with a lovely girl and we're beside the induction suite. Up from that is a room with some new babies, there are identical Thai twins in an incubator and it has crossed my mind about stealing them. I actually physically ache every time I hear one of the newborns yowl so Im definitely in full on maternal mode! :)

I'm fine about the induction Jerrica. To be honest it's a case of having to be really but Ive met a lot of the team at this stage and trust them and they adhere to the Bishop Score very rigidly etc so I'm confident they'll go with what's best. The scan this morning showed he's fully face to back now, head well down and semi engaged so I'm hoping that will then make it easier, he may decide to come before anyway! I was kind of looking forward to going into labour myself but it really is what's best for bubs and that's what they recommend.

On a side note, would you believe that the hospital bed is actually really comfy! As I can elevate it at different angles it means I can arrange it nicely to fit around bump!! :) Food is vile though. Mr.Merkin surprised me with a cold bag of goodies from M & S, love him! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

How did you find out things weren't very good Merkin? Did you feel unwell before being submitted to the hospital?

Holy moly Merkin, the fact that they've openly discussed the Bishops Score test with you is an absolutely great sign, it sounds like everything is being communicated very well. I'm extremely jealous :D

j@utis wrote: »
    How did you find out things weren't very good Merkin? Did you feel unwell before being submitted to the hospital?

Yesterday was a weird day. I woke up and had a cry which is not at all typical. I felt extremely fatigued and had swollen feet when I woke up which was a bit strange! Hubby wanted me to stay on bed but I got up, went and had highlights done, fanjita waxed, incurred a parking ticket, did some shopping and probably overdid it a bit. Came home, felt quite clammy and out of sorts/felt my face looked swollen so did a urine test and Id +30 of protein in urine so as a precaution did BP and it was 158/90.....I nearly died!It has consistently been about 115/65 so very high for me. Phoned Dad who advised me to phone maternity ward who said to pack overnight bag and they'd have a bed for me right away. So in short, abnormal swelling in feet and face, fatigue and just having the intuition to know something wasn't quite right I suppose. If you're in any way concerned or have that feeling at any stage definitely check it out xx

• Advertisement

Jerrica wrote: »
    Holy moly Merkin, the fact that they've openly discussed the Bishops Score test with you is an absolutely great sign, it sounds like everything is being communicated very well. I'm extremely jealous :D

They are brilliant tbh, I really feel confident in their abilities and they've been very open about what implications different things mean. Like you say, it's the communication I love. I'm a fairly forthright person myself and I really appreciate it in others so it's great when you establish that kind of relationship with the team too. (I'm kind of suspecting that Mr. Merkin purchasing a big box of M&S choccie biscuits for the midwives on duty earlier of his own volition might I add, makes us quite popular too! :)

Advertisement