Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Yeah if I do need to get to hospital and he's not around I'll just get a taxi too and he can follow me there. Not really ideal (cos id be paranoid about destroying the taxi!) but I'm not a nervous person so it wouldn't bother me at all being on my own for a while.

I didn't tell the taxi driver in advance that I was in labour, but when he arrived, I came out with three maternity pads in my knickers, and a couple of black bags and towels in my hand, and I said, "I'm in labour, my waters have broken. We're heading to Holles St, there's no urgency, I have no intention of having my baby in your car. I have bags and towels here, and I also have enough money to cover a soilage fee, should the need arise - but I don't expect this to be an issue."

He said, "Grand."

It was grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

I didn't tell the taxi driver in advance that I was in labour, but when he arrived, I came out with three maternity pads in my knickers, and a couple of black bags and towels in my hand, and I said, "I'm in labour, my waters have broken. We're heading to Holles St, there's no urgency, I have no intention of having my baby in your car. I have bags and towels here, and I also have enough money to cover a soilage fee, should the need arise - but I don't expect this to be an issue."

He said, "Grand."

It was grand.

That's exactly my plan too! Need to just remember now to keep cash at home in case the need does arise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

That's exactly my plan too! Need to just remember now to keep cash at home in case the need does arise :)

I certainly don't have the 130 euro for a taxi to my hospital ;) I'd much rather be around people I feel safe with than in a house on my own. It's just the way I am.

Yep, I remember giving out to my boyfriend in the weeks before birth because I kept telling him to get taxi money to keep in the house, and he kept forgetting!

If you stuff your knickers full of maternity pads, hopefully soilage fees won't be an issue. In my own (one and only!) experience, the first gush was the big one, there were no more big gushes after that.

I actually texted my taxi driver (a local guy, a grandfather himself) a couple of weeks later, to let him know that I had the baby a couple of hours later (he didn't actually believe me that I was in labour at the time!) He sent me a lovely text in return. It was nice! :)

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I certainly don't have the 130 euro for a taxi to my hospital ;) I'd much rather be around people I feel safe with than in a house on my own. It's just the way I am.

If it comes to it you can always ring an ambulance! :)

• Advertisement

Yep, I remember giving out to my boyfriend in the weeks before birth because I kept telling him to get taxi money to keep in the house, and he kept forgetting!

If you stuff your knickers full of maternity pads, hopefully soilage fees won't be an issue. In my own (one and only!) experience, the first gush was the big one, there were no more big gushes after that.

I actually texted my taxi driver (a local guy, a grandfather himself) a couple of weeks later, to let him know that I had the baby a couple of hours later (he didn't actually believe me that I was in labour at the time!) He sent me a lovely text in return. It was nice! :)

I don't anticipate the need will actually arise but it's no harm to be prepared! I have a feeling this baby will be SLOW to appear so I doubt I'll actually get caught out needing a lift :)

Sha Sha - have you family staying with you during the week when your partner is working? Or are you staying with them? I'm sure it's nicer to be in your own house for comfort as much as you can :)

I don't anticipate the need will actually arise but it's no harm to be prepared! I have a feeling this baby will be SLOW to appear so I doubt I'll actually get caught out needing a lift :)

Sha Sha - have you family staying with you during the week when your partner is working? Or are you staying with them? I'm sure it's nicer to be in your own house for comfort as much as you can :)

He's on holiday leave at the minute so is always here with me, just today for three hours being the exception and since he's constantly here looking after me, I felt horrible even suggesting that he not go to the match!
    Although he's desperate to see the final WC match tonight, so we all know that's when the labour will kick off! :D

He's on holiday leave at the minute so is always here with me, just today for three hours being the exception and since he's constantly here looking after me, I felt horrible even suggesting that he not go to the match!
    Although he's desperate to see the final WC match tonight, so we all know that's when the labour will kick off! :D

Ah that has worked out well so! Let's hope you don't go too much longer over then or he'd be due back to work then :( Such a pain for guys to arrange holidays from work when it's not known exactly when they will be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Ah that has worked out well so! Let's hope you don't go too much longer over then or he'd be due back to work then :( Such a pain for guys to arrange holidays from work when it's not known exactly when they will be needed.

We are so blessed in that regard. Hubby is taking a full months leave as soon as bubba arrives and because he's management it's a very open arrangement so it literally starts when Baby Merkin makes an appearance. It's also great that the company is a five minute drive away so he's never too far away! We are both fiercely independent tbh but I'm so glad he's not far away at this late stage, I'd hate that. It is funny if I happen to phone him during the day though as his first words are always 'everything ok?' with a distinctly panicky tone to his voice!:o

Merkin wrote: »
    We are so blessed in that regard. Hubby is taking a full months leave as soon as bubba arrives and because he's management it's a very open arrangement so it literally starts when Baby Merkin makes an appearance. It's also great that the company is a five minute drive away so he's never too far away! We are both fiercely independent tbh but I'm so glad he's not far away at this late stage, I'd hate that. It is funny if I happen to phone him during the day though as his first words are always 'everything ok?' with a distinctly panicky tone to his voice!:o

Yeah mine is lucky as well that he can start hols whenever he needs, well as much as is practical - he may need to tie up the odd loose end by phone. My husband is very very very bad at staying in contact during the day so we have agreed that I won't ring him anymore during the day to chat, only if there's some movement with baby. That way if his phone goes he has no excuse not to know it needs an immediate response!!!
    Though back to holidays, my Hubbie is a total workaholic so won't be taking more than a week off. I envy your month - that's amazing!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Went to a mums meet up this morning and I was surrounded by beautiful babies, doulas and midwives, it was just the boost I needed. Oh and the frustration, tears, and feelings of being "off" that we might have right now have a name, I found this such a reassuring read: http://www.mothering.com/articles/the-last-days-of-pregnancy-a-place-of-in-between

Yeah mine is lucky as well that he can start hols whenever he needs, well as much as is practical - he may need to tie up the odd loose end by phone. My husband is very very very bad at staying in contact during the day so we have agreed that I won't ring him anymore during the day to chat, only if there's some movement with baby. That way if his phone goes he has no excuse not to know it needs an immediate response!!!
    Though back to holidays, my Hubbie is a total workaholic so won't be taking more than a week off. I envy your month - that's amazing!!!!

That's probably a really good idea! I wouldn't phone him a massive amount anyway but if I do call and he can't answer I always send a text immediately after telling him I'm not in labour!:D

He can't wait to have the month off and I'll be so glad of the support, the intention is to do relays at the start so one of us always has a chance of a decent sleep!
    Jerrica wrote: »
    Went to a mums meet up this morning and I was surrounded by beautiful babies, doulas and midwives, it was just the boost I needed. Oh and the frustration, teats, and feelings of being "off" that we might have right now have a name, I found this such a reassuring read: http://www.mothering.com/articles/the-last-days-of-pregnancy-a-place-of-in-between

I absolutely love this, thank you. Am going to share it with all my pregnant friends and new Mums, it's a lovely article.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

He said, "Grand."

It was grand.
    That's some speech from someone in labour! I guess I'd be able for 3 words in situation like that: "To Holles Street".
    It'd interesting to ask the taxi drivers which one their prefer in their car: a woman in labour or a drunk vomiting all over the back seat :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

<..> Just have to quit the cakes :-/
    Cakes are evil. Last Friday we celebrated my OH's birthday with 4 home made cakes :eek: I really overdid it and suffered the worst headache in a while (I used to get migraines before). I was bed bound for about 24hrs afterwards because my head felt like it was gonna to split into two if I made a slightest move. I only recovered from that sugar overload late in the evening yesterday. I've learned my lesson at least for now - no more cakes for me, I'm sticking to two meals of veg and meat per day, feeling much better today.
    I'm amazed how swelling of my feet is connected to sugar in my diet, even if that sugar comes in form of fruit. I ate very little yesterday and that was a fry-up breakfast (no bread!) at around 6pm, so very little carbohydrates and today morning most of the swelling of my feet was gone.
    <...>that and I didn't want to have to pay every week :-/ <...>
    sorry, but I think it's madness to pay for something like that with all the info about food & diet available on internet. Lacking motivation? Excuse me once again! Since your health is your biggest asset how can you not invest into it!
    and to continue the rant: it reminds me about one lunch at my college. I'm a mature student so are my group mates. So there was a full blown discussion going around the table about the medical cards - how dare the bastards in the government to threaten their medical cards because they were really sick people. People mostly involved in this discussion were these 4 well overweight ladies. I was sitting quietly and watching them stuffing their faces with junk food, you know college canteen - choc bars, fizzy drinks, chips, potatoes, bread, bread and more bread, etc... and thinking to myself "lady on the right has diabetes - most likely diet related disease, another lady is suffering from astma - yet again linked to diet, another one complaining about arthritis - autoimmune disease that can be controlled with diet and so on and on"... It's amazing how people choose to blame somebody else for their own poor health, government in this case, it drives me nuts but in most cases there's no point even questioning their understanding of a link between the diet and their own well being... sorry for off topic btw...

j@utis wrote: »
    Cakes are evil. Last Friday we celebrated my OH's birthday with 4 home made cakes :eek: I really overdid it and suffered the worst headache in a while (I used to get migraines before). I was bed bound for about 24hrs afterwards because my head felt like it was gonna to split into two if I made a slightest move. I only recovered from that sugar overload late in the evening yesterday. I've learned my lesson at least for now - no more cakes for me, I'm sticking to two meals of veg and meat per day, feeling much better today.
    I'm amazed how swelling of my feet is connected to sugar in my diet, even if that sugar comes in form of fruit. I ate very little yesterday and that was a fry-up breakfast (no bread!) at around 6pm, so very little carbohydrates and today morning most of the swelling of my feet was gone.

sorry, but I think it's madness to pay for something like that with all the info about food & diet available on internet. Lacking motivation? Excuse me once again! Since your health is your biggest asset how can you not invest into it!
    and to continue the rant: it reminds me about one lunch at my college. I'm a mature student so are my group mates. So there was a full blown discussion going around the table about the medical cards - how dare the bastards in the government to threaten their medical cards because they were really sick people. People mostly involved in this discussion were these 4 well overweight ladies. I was sitting quietly and watching them stuffing their faces with junk food, you know college canteen - choc bars, fizzy drinks, chips, potatoes, bread, bread and more bread, etc... and thinking to myself "lady on the right has diabetes - most likely diet related disease, another lady is suffering from astma - yet again linked to diet, another one complaining about arthritis - autoimmune disease that can be controlled with diet and so on and on"... It's amazing how people choose to blame somebody else for their own poor health, government in this case, it drives me nuts but in most cases there's no point even questioning their understanding of a link between the diet and their own well being... sorry for off topic btw...

Re swelling - I imagine the 24 hrs rest off your feet helped with that too, not just the change in diet.

Re Diet/Disease links - yes, diet can cause/impact on some diseases but for the majority of people with asthma or autoimmune arthritis diet is not a major factor at all. To be honest it is very judgemental of you to assume you know it all about their health issues. A good diet is very important for overall wellbeing certainly but it's not going to cure most chronic diseases.

j@utis wrote: »
    That's some speech from someone in labour! I guess I'd be able for 3 words in situation like that: "To Holles Street".
    It'd interesting to ask the taxi drivers which one their prefer in their car: a woman in labour or a drunk vomiting all over the back seat :confused:

LOL! I had my contraction app open on my phone and was pressing the button every 4-5 minutes ... while chatting away ... the driver was like, you're not in labour, my wife has had five babies and she wasn't like this at all!

Even when I got into Holles St, the girl in the registration office didn't know what to do with me ... she said that usually, when waters are already broken, she brings you straight to the labour ward, but she said that she wasn't a medical professional herself but it was very obvious that I wasn't a woman in labour ... she kindly informed me that sometimes in late pregnancy you can "have little accidents in your panties" and mistake this for the waters breaking ... I smiled nicely and told her that this certainly wasn't the case, and that I didn't care what ward I went to but I needed to be assessed because there was meconium in my waters, there generally isn't meconium in my pee, so yeah, it was definitely waters and not an "accident in my panties"! I should have gone back to her with the baby a couple of hours later!

LOL! I had my contraction app open on my phone and was pressing the button every 4-5 minutes ... while chatting away ... the driver was like, you're not in labour, my wife has had five babies and she wasn't like this at all!

Even when I got into Holles St, the girl in the registration office didn't know what to do with me ... she said that usually, when waters are already broken, she brings you straight to the labour ward, but she said that she wasn't a medical professional herself but it was very obvious that I wasn't a woman in labour ... she kindly informed me that sometimes in late pregnancy you can "have little accidents in your panties" and mistake this for the waters breaking ... I smiled nicely and told her that this certainly wasn't the case, and that I didn't care what ward I went to but I needed to be assessed because there was meconium in my waters, there generally isn't meconium in my pee, so yeah, it was definitely waters and not an "accident in my panties"! I should have gone back to her with the baby a couple of hours later!

Some of the patronising things people say to women having their first child are just unreal!!

So did the excitement of the match spark any movement??!!

So did the excitement of the match spark any movement??!!

Severe stabbing pains all over my bump, a massive clear out after a walk, nausea and contractions 35 mins apart. Got into the shower and bed, slept right through from 10 till now and it would appear im still pregnant and not in labour :P gutted!

• Advertisement

Severe stabbing pains all over my bump, a massive clear out after a walk, nausea and contractions 35 mins apart. Got into the shower and bed, slept right through from 10 till now and it would appear im still pregnant and not in labour :P gutted!

Sounds like you're coming very close to it though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Ah shasha it sounds like your nearly ready to start x when are you back to the hospital again? You poor thing xx

Ah shasha it sounds like your nearly ready to start x when are you back to the hospital again? You poor thing xx

Four days overdue so im watching everything lile a hawk! Back on Thursday morning for a sweep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Got woken up frequently last night with bad cramps, the pain extended around my back at one point so thought things might be happening, but there was no rhythm or consistency to them so just more warm ups. Got to the pool this morning and I'm knackered now :D

How are all the lovely July Mummies this morning? Sounds like some of you are getting pretty close to delivery time so that's good!

I slept for six and a half hours straight last night which was bliss! Midwife has just been, my BP is very good, bubs is well engaged and she suspects my obstetrician may give me a sweep on Thursday. She said to prepare myself for being advised to avail of an epidural because this brings down BP in labour and is recommended if BP has been an issue. I'm pretty Zen about it all tbh, whatever is best for me and Master Merkin! She also said there's more likelihood of a quick delivery so to get to hospital when I start labouring rather than hang around at home.

I mentioned the prostaglandin 'tea bag' last week here and I asked her for clarification this morning. She said they don't use the gel on first time Mummy's as a. It can be quite aggressive and b. there is no turning back from it. With the pessary, it is more gentle and controlled so it takes longer but is a more natural build up. It can also be removed within seconds if contractions are becoming hard to manage.

Feeling great today. It's amazing what a really good sleep can do!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WoollyWoman

No signs of anything different here. Had a good aul bounce on my gym ball last night to see if that would get a reaction...nothing. The only thing I get is the odd twinge in my inner thighs.
    I'll be having a sweep on Wednesday. My sister had two done with her first born. The first didn't hurt which was done 2 days after her due date, she said her cervix hadn't ripened at that point but a few days later she was given another one which was quite uncomfortable and ultimately started her labour. She had the baby a day later. So you never know...we could all have our babies by the weekend :-)
    Might hit the hay early tonight with the Hubby and see if "that" helps....

When you say twinges Woolly, are you getting them in your vajayjay as well? I'm getting them there AND getting lightening rods up my bottom from time to time too!! When are you actually due? Good luck with the sweep! I know I won't be given one unless I'm favourable.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WoollyWoman

No, it's kindof like a funny bone being knocked. Not particularly sore, it's like a jolt. I think a nerve is being leaned on! The only vajayjay pokes are from when the baby moves and I'm sitting down. I've had one or two lightening pains but not sure.
    I was due on Saturday :-) Last time I was in the hospital I was the one who asked about the sweep and the consultant said 'ah yeah, you'll probably be offered one on your next visit'. So I'm assuming I'll get one...but perhaps not if I'm not favourable :-/
    Like you I'm quite relaxed and I've been told I won't be allowed over 10 days so I see the 22nd as my cut off date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Posting in here out of pure nostaliga.. I was in July 2012, due the 9th and my little(big) Zoe made her extremely dramatic entrance to this world on the 20th July 2012, she's 2 next week!
    Remember those last few days like yesterday! Enjoy it, print out this thread to read back on! good luck!

• Advertisement

Good to be relaxed isn't it, my midwife said if you're tense and anxious and desperate to speed up the process it can delay the baby's arrival, it's like they sense it! If you're chilled about when you get to meet bubs it makes the last few weeks much more relaxed and easy. I suppose it depends on personality type and anxiety levels, we are all different! The thing to remember is that every day is a day closer to cuddling your little one at long last!:) I'm getting regular lightening rods and BHs but otherwise nothing that would suggest that I'm pre labour just yet! If I'm offered the sweep on Thursday I'll let you know what it's like xx

Advertisement