Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Had my 40 week hospital appointment at lunchtime (39+3 today). Still no engagement. Back next Monday when they will consider a sweep if I'm favourable. Maybe I'll be lucky and go before then. If not I'll be giving serious thought to declining the sweep and waiting to go naturally. If I held out until the following Monday I'd be 10 days over and Wexford generally don't like going more than 12 days over. Decisions, decisions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

So if you declined the sweep and Bubs had still not made his debut by the following Monday what course of action would they take Ocean?

Merkin wrote: »
    So if you declined the sweep and Bubs had still not made his debut by the following Monday what course of action would they take Ocean?

Well at 10 days over I'd accept the sweep. If no movement then within a couple of days I'd be induced I suppose. I'm not against sweeps I just think for me that 3 days over is very early to be getting interventions. Calculating due dates is not an exact science in most cases so really three days is very little. Now this is all assuming nothing happens between now and next Monday! If I feel I'm starting to head in the labour direction by then I'd be happy to help things along :)

Are you familiar with the Bishop Score? Worth having a look at that and seeing if they adhere to it in Wexford, at least you can rest assured then that an induction will only be suggested if your cervix looks ready as opposed to just having it and not actually being receptive just yet! I'm being examined on Thursday at 39 weeks to assess suitability but I know they won't allow it if my cervix doesn't look ripe! You may well go before then anyway, there's just no way of knowing! :)

Are you familiar with the Bishop Score? Worth having a look at that and seeing if they adhere to it in Wexford, at least you can rest assured then that an induction will only be suggested if your cervix looks ready as opposed to just having it and not actually being receptive just yet! I'm being examined on Thursday at 39 weeks to assess suitability but I know they won't allow it if my cervix doesn't look ripe! You may well go before then anyway, there's just no way of knowing! :)

Of course this is all dependent on whether my cervix is favourable next week! It may not be at all.

• Advertisement

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Of course this is all dependent on whether my cervix is favourable next week! It may not be at all.

And if it is favourable at 40+ 3 will you refuse the sweep and try and go naturally?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

My induction is booked for the 24th, end of :(
    My last appointment in the hospital was great, but I left on a downer knowing they had booked it without even checking dates with me. It's my mother's birthday and I was REALLY hoping that my daughter would get a day of her own. My mother is the sort that would make a coincidence like that a murderous plague of "Sure it was meant to be" and "Sure your dad in heaven knew how happy it would make me" etc.

And if it is favourable at 40+ 3 will you refuse the sweep and try and go naturally?

That's what I will be giving serious thought to between now and next Monday. Ask me again then!!
    But yeah in that case it makes sense to me that I should just wait for things to develop at their own pace seeing as I'll only be barely overdue at that stage. If there is evidence my body is preparing for labour there's no reason to believe it won't complete the process itself. Now if by the following Monday things hadn't progressed further then I'd be happy to help it along I imagine.
    However next Monday is still 7 days away. I could be a whole lot more tired, uncomfortable, fed up etc etc and I might be welcoming any help I'm offered :) Just have to see how things pan out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

ShaSha I left hospital at 41+6 on a bit of a downer because they'd given me a date and time for induction a week later ... however baby arrived less than 24 hours later! You mightnt get close to induction date at all!

ShaSha I left hospital at 39+6 on a bit of a downer because they'd given me a date and time for induction a week later ... however baby arrived less than 24 hours later! You mightnt get close to induction date at all!

Hopefully not! It's nice all the same to have an end in sight and once she is safe that's the main thing, but I have to go consultant led if I get induced, which changes my birth plan entirely, as well as losing a lot of other priviliges so it really got me thinking I hadn't prepared properly for that possibility :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

ShaSha how many days over are you on the 24th? No one can "make" you do anything, if you want another date, negotiate it.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    My induction is booked for the 24th, end of :(
    My last appointment in the hospital was great, but I left on a downer knowing they had booked it without even checking dates with me. It's my mother's birthday and I was REALLY hoping that my daughter would get a day of her own. My mother is the sort that would make a coincidence like that a murderous plague of "Sure it was meant to be" and "Sure your dad in heaven knew how happy it would make me" etc.

Sure even if induction is started that morning it's always possible the birth won't be until that night so just hope it's after 12 midnight then baby gets the 25th!!

Will you be having a sweep or anything in the meantime?

I imagine unless there's a very good reason hospitals stick to their procedure in terms of max days they will let you go over. I know it would be nice to have some input but it's probably not practical for them to be consulting every lady before scheduling. If word got around that they would do it on demand essentially by letting people pick a convenient date it would be chaos in the hospitals :(

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    If word got around that they would do it on demand essentially by letting people pick a convenient date it would be chaos in the hospitals :(

Bollox, our bodies are not at the behest of the hospitals, it is every woman's right to have an input into when you consent to undergo an induction procedure. Induction is higher risk for further intervention, it's not something to be agreed upon lightly and at no stage should a woman feel pressured to fit in with the hospitals timetable. They are there to help us, not the other way around.

I'm not having a go at you Ocean, it just pisses me off to see how strong a hold hospitals have over women.

Hopefully not! It's nice all the same to have an end in sight and once she is safe that's the main thing, but I have to go consultant led if I get induced, which changes my birth plan entirely, as well as losing a lot of other priviliges so it really got me thinking I hadn't prepared properly for that possibility :o

Does anyone know the statistics for how many first time Mums actually get to the full 10-14 days overdue and end up being induced?? I'd be really interested to know.

Jerrica wrote: »
    Bollox, our bodies are not at the behest of the hospitals, it is every woman's right to have an input into when you consent to undergo an induction procedure. Induction is higher risk for further intervention, it's not something to be agreed upon like girly and at no stage should a woman feel pressured to fit in with the hospitals timetable. They are there to help us, not the other way around.

I'm not having a go at you Ocean, it just pisses me off to see how strong a hold hospitals have over women.

No hospital has a hold over me thanks anyway. My very first line says unless there's a very good reason...........If i felt there was a good reason I'd be first in line to explain it to the hospital and I'd expect it to be listened to with due consideration. However not wanting your baby to have a certain birth date isn't a good enough reason in my opinion to expect the hospital (and then inevitably your fellow patients) to be impacted upon.

My body, my baby and if a hospital schedules an induction for a day that I'm not happy with then the reasons are irrelevant (if an alternative date that I request is safe for my body and my baby) . I couldn't give a flying fart about hospital schedules.

ShaSha I left hospital at 41+6 on a bit of a downer because they'd given me a date and time for induction a week later ... however baby arrived less than 24 hours later! You mightnt get close to induction date at all!

Jesus woman, he would have been ready for school if he'd hung on any longer!:D I'm amazed they were going to leave it until 42+6, do you reckon they knew you were about to go yourself anyway?

I'd honestly be more concerned about the deterioration of the placenta if the baby was in there longer than she should be, surely that would end up coming with its own problems as well as being induced 12 days overdue?

Besides which, I have a repeat exam for my degree in August, I'm not really at liberty to be refusing inductions, never mind the pain I am in at the minute to go on past the 24th! I wouldn't expect them to change the date because I don't want her born that date, as I said it's all about getting her out safely, but I was a bit annoyed that it wasn't discussed with me prior to booking. They haven't even discussed what it entails yet (although in fairness my MW was quite confident that I wouldn't make it that far, and she said most of the first time mums coming through dont need an induction).

I honestly think you'll go well before then Shasha, you've had a gradual build up of a number of indicators to suggest that Baby Bear is happy to come out soon. You've lost your plug, you've had regular contractions and baby is engaged so I'd say you're as ripe as can be. Now that you have a definite end date established if intervention is required it might remove some of the waiting and uncertainty for you and consequently precipitate the onset of labour naturally as you'll hopefully be a bit more relaxed. I've every confidence the little lady will be here soon and showing off one of her hand knitted numbers shortly!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Oh girls I know exactly how ye are feeling on my 1st she had no intention of making an appearance I had 3sweeps nothing hadn't lost my plug she wasn't engaged nothing I was induced at 42+2 and had my beautiful baby girl all safe and well

Sit tight and your beautiful babies will be in your arms soon xx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Jesus woman, he would have been ready for school if he'd hung on any longer!:D I'm amazed they were going to leave it until 42+6, do you reckon they knew you were about to go yourself anyway?

Noooo I'm a gob****e. Was only 40+6 going into labour :D

I honestly think you'll go well before then Shasha, you've had a gradual build up of a number of indicators to suggest that Baby Bear is happy to come out soon. You've lost your plug, you've had regular contractions and baby is engaged so I'd say you're as ripe as can be. Now that you have a definite end date established if intervention is required it might remove some of the waiting and uncertainty for you and consequently precipitate the onset of labour naturally as you'll hopefully be a bit more relaxed. I've every confidence the little lady will be here soon and showing off one of her hand knitted numbers shortly!:)

We're actually just getting ready for a brisk walk to see if we can make anything of these tightenings and back pain :pac:

A long walk followed by a nice hot bath xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

We're actually just getting ready for a brisk walk to see if we can make anything of these tightenings and back pain :pac:

What about trying some acupuncture or reflexology to serve the eviction notice on the little one?

What about trying some acupuncture or reflexology to serve the eviction notice on the little one?

Id be dead in a box before Id let anyone stick needles into me hahaha, I have to be restrained just for a blood sample!!! As for reflexology there doesnt seem to be anyone reputable close enough, travel is being limited as were almost an hour from the hospital as it is! Walks, sexy times and hot showers and baths is the best I can do for now! On a side note, nothing happening! But the bath was lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Id be dead in a box before Id let anyone stick needles into me hahaha, I have to be restrained just for a blood sample!!! As for reflexology there doesnt seem to be anyone reputable close enough, travel is being limited as were almost an hour from the hospital as it is! Walks, sexy times and hot showers and baths is the best I can do for now! On a side note, nothing happening! But the bath was lovely!

Needles used in acupuncture are such a different experience to when they're used for a blood sample or the like. I've used acupuncture for years now for a variety of things- always as an add on to other treatments and have found it so helpful.
    I've used it whole ttc and it certainly didn't hinder that given how active my bump is this morning! It's also really relaxing but if you dislike needles you're not gonna think that now are you? ;-)
    Hopefully things will get moving for you soon regardless.

Hope you don't mind me wading in Shasha but I've a little suggestion for you. Why don't you spend today just chilling and doing absolutely nothing to try and make yourself go into labour. No car rides to bring on contractions, no arduous walks, no sex sessions unless it's just for pleasure and to enjoy some quality time with Mr.Bear, no hot baths etc. Basically take trying to precipitate labour firmly off the agenda just for today and enjoy yourself. I know you're impatient and I know it must be hard going over your due date but I think a day off from it all and from your sterling efforts to make baby start the process would do you wonders both mentally and physically. Would you be willing to try that do you think? Just for today?

Merkin that sounds like such a good idea xx shasha night be worth a shot park yourself comfortably in front of the telly have a cup of tea have somethinp nice for lunch and just relax xx

I just think things like this often happen when one stops fixating on them and having a break from it all, just for a day, might do wonders. Allow yourself to relax. I second eating nice food and enjoying a nap and maybe curling up with Mr. Bear with a good DVD, lovely! :)

Just saw your other post Betsie, I hope you're ok. I'm sure you got used to having hubby around the place so it will be hard for the first few days . You'll soon get into a little routine xx

• Advertisement

Funny Merkin most of what I do is actually for a reason totally unrelated to me trying to kickstart labour :P

I wouldn't mind a day of sitting on my bum doing crochet and drinking tea, but nesting is really hard to ignore, and Mr. Bear just doesn't do it right :pac:
    Although you are right, I need to let go a bit - I'm a serious control freak and like to have my days in order and it's frightening now that it's not "any week now" or "any day now" but rather any minute now :eek:

Advertisement