Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

yeah, time flies. it feels like it was yesterday, doesn't it ;)

I think my baby could be on the way. I had a bloody show yesterday (still have some sort of pink discharge) and my contractions started this morning. I hope these are real, I haven't had any Braxton Hicks before so I'm not very sure here, nothing to compare with. I have contractions timer on my phone going and they come every 10mins or so and last 30secs minimum. I can't sit still through them, I have to get up and walk around. I'm thinking to myself "if this is so bad now, what's next??" and for some reason I want to be in the dark room, waiting for the night to come :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Sounds very promising j@utis can you talk through them? Xx

I probably still can but there's nobody at home to talk to, so I growl instead. I sent my OH to work telling him, no, today isn't the day. Contractions now are getting closer together but still only last 30-40sec. I think I have to wait a little longer until I can go to the hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Hi Ladies!

Baby Kate was born Wednesday 23rd, 7lb 1.5oz.

Had a very slow 5 day early labour until my waters broke at home on the Wednesday morning. Was admitted to hospital and that evening an examination showed that only half my waters had gone. They broke the rest and there was meconium so I was induced then to speed things along. I was wrecked after the 5 days so opted for an epidural as I knew the hormones would ramp up the pain big time. The birth then was very easy. Could push well even though I was very sensitive to the epidural and was almost totally dead from the waist down until we copped it was set too high. Anyway when the time came she slid out so easily, didn't even have to push the shoulders out. Though she is very long and skinny so that helped!!

She's an absolute dote and very good. Though she has a very distressed period during the afternoon/evening which I think is wind but I'm finding it hard to learn her little cues so I worry I'm not responding correctly :( But I'll get there.

Feeling a touch of the baby blues the last few days but my Hubbie, mum and sister are all being very supportive so I've plenty of help. Just worrying I'm doing things wrong. But I guess that's parenthood!

Congratulations to you all on the births of your babies, great to hear everyone is happy and healthy xx

Congrats Ocean Blue and thank you for your story. 5 days of labour, oh gosh! I want this to end now!!!

• Advertisement

Massive congratulations ocean 5days of labour well done you xx Kate is such j lovely name xx we are here if you ever need to talk I had ruby the 6th and i still get teary xx

J@utis how are things going now nor you? Is hubby home?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WoollyWoman

Congratulations Ocean on your wee girl. That was a heck of a week for you! I hope you're recovering well. This is all new to most of us here and every day brings new lessons...like making sure my little lad's willy is covered when changing his nappy or you'll get sprayed in the face! :-)
    The blues will come and go. I think it's good that you've acknowledged that that's what it is and hopefully you'll be feeling like your normal self soon. I had a big weepy session with my hubby yesterday over something very small and with talking it out I feel much better.
    Best of luck J@utis :-) looking forward to hearing how you got on!
    Hope you're feeling better this morning Betsie :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Lol Woolly, Baby Merkin is a sprayer as well! Every time the nappy is opened I get a nice fountain stream of pee up in the air in celebration! :)

Ah the joys of having a girl ;-)

I am feeling much better today despite the lack of sleep last night my oldest has a cold and was awake from 2.30 till nearly 6 and back up at 7.30 as well as ruby waking for feeds xx

So July is officially over :-( and what a month it has been xx

We should of done a list of who had babies , when and where

That's a great idea Betsie! I'll start and maybe everyone can add to it?

Merkin - Baby Issac (Boy) 24th July @ 14.50, U.K. :)

• Advertisement

Betsie- baby girl Ruby 7lb 11.5oz on 6th July @ 11.24am in clonmel

Merkin - Baby Issac (Boy) 24th July @ 14.50, U.K. :)

Ocean Blue - Baby Girl Kate 7lb 1.5oz 23rd July @ 11.29pm Wexford

Merkin - Baby Issac (Boy) 24th July @ 14.50, U.K. 

Guys, for those that have formula fed babies under 2 weeks or so, what volume of feed are they taking? My little one who is 9 days just demolished 3oz, I had been giving her 2 oz the last few days & suspected she would take a bit more but didn't expect her to drain the full bottle 😮

Ruby was on 3oz under 2weeks I'm now making 5oz will drink 4sometimjp 4.5oz she will be 4weeks old on Sunday x

Being nosey ocean where in wexford are you living? Have a sister living in wexford don't have to say if you don't want x

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

Baby Sean is a week old now. Coming into the third night home from the hospital. Have been breastfeeding but with limited success as he has a definite tongue tie, so can't suck efficiently. Am doing some feeding but mostly pumping. Hope to get this resolved in the next week, so will see what happens after that.

His crying breaks my heart at times when I can't settle him, makes me cry too.
    Thankfully he is asleep in his basket right now.

Had a busy enough day, went to Bray to get his birth certificate so we can get his passport so we can fly to NZ. Cannot wait to have all of that help on hand.

Hubby has been amazing, unfortunately back to work for him on tuesday.

Rua1 wrote: »
    Baby Sean is a week old now. Coming into the third night home from the hospital. Have been breastfeeding but with limited success as he has a definite tongue tie, so can't suck efficiently. Am doing some feeding but mostly pumping. Hope to get this resolved in the next week, so will see what happens after that.

His crying breaks my heart at times when I can't settle him, makes me cry too.
    Thankfully he is asleep in his basket right now.

Had a busy enough day, went to Bray to get his birth certificate so we can get his passport so we can fly to NZ. Cannot wait to have all of that help on hand.

Hubby has been amazing, unfortunately back to work for him on tuesday.

Fair dues to you for sticking with the breast feeding despite the difficulties. I only lasted 36 hours and am very disappointed with myself. But I was very unhappy with our struggles and wasn't able to enjoy her at all so I just have to accept I made the best decision for us at the time.

OceanBlue, no need to feel disappointed with yourself for not breastfeeding, hell I'd want to throw in the towel several times per day, and have had to top up with formula so we can both get some rest.
    Remember, happy mum, happy baby. That's the most important thing.

Rua when are you hoping to go to nz? Don't worry about the feedjmg the 1st few days are the most important x I am in awe of anyone who continues bf x it's so tiring x

Rua when are you hoping to go to nz? Don't worry about the feedjmg the 1st few days are the most important x I am in awe of anyone who continues bf x it's so tiring x

Off in just over 3 months. Cannot wait really, will have plenty of help on hand. Dreading the flight, but there is no other way

Ah fantastic something to look forward to and think of the help how long are ye going for? The flight will be tough alright but unfortunatly you can't drive :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WoollyWoman

Merkin - Baby Issac (Boy) 24th July @ 14.50, U.K. 

WoollyWoman - Baby Brendan, 8lb 6oz 22nd July @ 9.33pm, Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

Merkin - Baby Issac (Boy) 8lb 4oz, 24th July @ 14.50, U.K. 

dizzymiss - Baby Boy Theodore, 5lbs 1oz, born July 5th @ 07:21am, Galway

congrats ocean. Delighted for the arrival of baby Kate x

Teddy is up to 7lbs2oz as of Thursday. We are delighted. Back on Tuesday for review with the consultant. He's doing well on the feeds. Taking between 2 & 3 oz a feed now. He's a hungry lil man.

Brilliant news on the weight gain Dizzy, delighted to hear he is thriving!

Speaking of weight, do you mind editing your post and adding my little chap's birthweight to his info? He was born 8lbs 4oz, thanks a million xx

There are no words for how happy I am when little miss does a poop! It's a rare occurance unfortunately (only twice in the last week) so it's such a relief when it appears :)

dizzymiss wrote: »

Merkin - Baby Issac (Boy) 8lb 4oz, 24th July @ 14.50, U.K. 

dizzymiss - Baby Boy Theodore, 5lbs 1oz, born July 5th @ 07:21am, Galway

j@utis - baby boy Ruby 7lb 8oz on 1st Aug @ 12:40, Wicklow

We're putting Ruben on birth cert :rolleyes:

We finally got home this afternoon. I'm so happy leaving the hell of a hospital behind. My labour stalled after dilating 1cm, waters were broken to get it going again and they were green and because of that their standard protocol kicked in straight away - to get that baby out asap. I got epidural, loads of oxytocin, 40 minutes of blind pushing, followed by episiotomy. It was very traumatic experience. I'm badly bruised, stitched up and very sore down there :( I didn't sleep a nod all three nights I spent in the hospital. I thought I was about to loose my mind but thankfully I was discharged yesterday afternoon (was seriously considering to run away). I couldn't pass urine after the giving birth and had to spend 24hrs with catheter inserted into my bladder. It made the whole postnatal ward thing very complicated and even less bearable - I had to carry piss container connected to me everywhere I went :( Maternity pad would leak trough the side where the catheter was sticking out and I couldn't do anything about it. I was a mess, my bed was a mess, I couldn't take proper care of the baby either. It was awful.

Baby is doing well, I'm trying to breastfeed, just noticed the colostrum changing into actual milk, so fingers crossed it all works out soon.

j@utis wrote: »
    We're putting Ruben on birth cert :rolleyes:

We finally got home this afternoon. I'm so happy leaving the hell of a hospital behind. My labour stalled after dilating 1cm, waters were broken to get it going again and they were green and because of that their standard protocol kicked in straight away - to get that baby out asap. I got epidural, loads of oxytocin, 40 minutes of blind pushing, followed by episiotomy. It was very traumatic experience. I'm badly bruised, stitched up and very sore down there :( I didn't sleep a nod all three nights I spent in the hospital. I thought I was about to loose my mind but thankfully I was discharged yesterday afternoon (was seriously considering to run away). I couldn't pass urine after the giving birth and had to spend 24hrs with catheter inserted into my bladder. It made the whole postnatal ward thing very complicated and even less bearable - I had to carry piss container connected to me everywhere I went :( Maternity pad would leak trough the side where the catheter was sticking out and I couldn't do anything about it. I was a mess, my bed was a mess, I couldn't take proper care of the baby either. It was awful.

Baby is doing well, I'm trying to breastfeed, just noticed the colostrum changing into actual milk, so fingers crossed it all works out soon.

Sounds like a rough ride but thankfully you're through the other side with your little boy now. Hopefully you'll feel much better now you're home. Congrats on sticking with the breast feeding despite having such a tough time after the birth x

That sounds really traumatic j@utis. Where did you deliver your little boy? Thank goodness you are now at home and can get on with the important business of bonding and getting to know the little fellow. Hope you make a speedy recovery xx

Ah you poor thing I know exactly what j delivery and recovery like that is like will take j while but once you have help and support you wilt be grand x

Congratulations on baby Ruben xx

NMH on Holles st in dublin. I was in semi-private ward and there were 6 beds in it. I couldn't get any sleep it was so noisy in there: there was at least one baby crying at the time - I found out the hard way that earplugs don't work for the baby's cry - too high pitch! general noise of staff and mums moving around and... visitors. I mean I was like WTF!!! how is this allowed??? 2,3,4 or more visitors per bed including small children, everybody's dragging tons of presents in, flowers, bags of stuff etc, all having great deal to talk about - weather, holiday plans, neighbor's new fence, water charges etc... whole afternoon was packed with visitors traffic, it was insane... I agree with dads or other ONE person being there to help the new mother but visitors :mad: :mad: they should be banned.
    on the other hand if it was quiet for a moment or two I still struggled to fall asleep because of the stress and discomfort I was in. I was dreaming of being in my own bed and my bathroom, bathroom especially. We have this yoke fitted in our bathroom beside the toilet called Bidette, now when I'm so tender down there that little shower is god sent, I just sit on the toilet and let cool water run over my stitches, oh heaven, no scare to go for a wee or no2...

Anyways we're home now and having other issues to deal with... Baby Ruby is crying most of the time, he seems to be inconsolable, esp at nigh time. My breasts feel very tender now, nipples are real sore but I don't mind, willing to work through that little pain it's just that baby is taking forever to latch on properly if he does at all. it's so frustrating when after 40mins on the breast he's still not latched on and with every try is swallowing more air than milk :(

ah sure, it only can get better from now on. patience is the key and we'll get through like all new parents do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

j@utis congrats on your new arrival :) I too had ARM, an epi, blind pushing and a second degree tear so I can empathise! One trick I was told, when you pee lean right forward on the loo, it helps direct the flow away from the stitches, and witch hazel in your pad is so soothing. I'm eight days pp and the sting has definitely lessened.

No one warns you how sore breastfeeding can be on your nipples!!!

Advertisement