Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

We'll done J@utis and congratulations.

Would you try and get a lactation consultant out to the house? You don't need this added stress and they might be able to sort the latch for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

j@utis wrote: »
    NMH on Holles st in dublin. I was in semi-private ward and there were 6 beds in it. I couldn't get any sleep it was so noisy in there: there was at least one baby crying at the time - I found out the hard way that earplugs don't work for the baby's cry - too high pitch! general noise of staff and mums moving around and... visitors. I mean I was like WTF!!! how is this allowed??? 2,3,4 or more visitors per bed including small children, everybody's dragging tons of presents in, flowers, bags of stuff etc, all having great deal to talk about - weather, holiday plans, neighbor's new fence, water charges etc... whole afternoon was packed with visitors traffic, it was insane... I agree with dads or other ONE person being there to help the new mother but visitors :mad: :mad: they should be banned.
    on the other hand if it was quiet for a moment or two I still struggled to fall asleep because of the stress and discomfort I was in. I was dreaming of being in my own bed and my bathroom, bathroom especially. We have this yoke fitted in our bathroom beside the toilet called Bidette, now when I'm so tender down there that little shower is god sent, I just sit on the toilet and let cool water run over my stitches, oh heaven, no scare to go for a wee or no2...

Anyways we're home now and having other issues to deal with... Baby Ruby is crying most of the time, he seems to be inconsolable, esp at nigh time. My breasts feel very tender now, nipples are real sore but I don't mind, willing to work through that little pain it's just that baby is taking forever to latch on properly if he does at all. it's so frustrating when after 40mins on the breast he's still not latched on and with every try is swallowing more air than milk :(

ah sure, it only can get better from now on. patience is the key and we'll get through like all new parents do.

Huge congrats and hope your recovery is swift! Just some suggestions....use a squeezy bottle of water to spray on your sore bits as you pee...helps take the sting out. Get a stool softener to help with movements as I let myself get constipated wwith stitches and it's not fun but this really helps. Finally the lansinoh nipple cream is great for sore nipples and if things get too sore, having nipple shields can be a huge relief and is only way our little man can latch on easily

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

thanks for the advice ladies. I'm doing it all already: water while peeing (not the bottle, the other thing, I showed in the link - very handy), had bowel movement already without much drama (but mad pushing left me with nasty hemorrhoids but I'll deal with this later), whitch hazel spray after every time I visit the loo, nipple cream from very start of BF. These all are under control more or less. Next step is to get baby to latch on and feed nicely. I've got it and he got it right few times so it should work out, I'll see tomorrow how it goes and if I need more help I'll call for it.
    My OH is wonderful btw, all I have to do is to feed the baby, I can spend all day in bed, everything else is done, meals, drinks & entertainment are delivered to my bedside.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Had a great little day out with bubs.Attended his audiology appointment and he passed his newborn hearing test with flying colours and then we registered his name officially etc followed by lovely lunch.He was as good as gold for all of it. Such a great little chap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

What a lovely day merkin x

Enjoy every one of them x registering them I find it so special :-D

• Advertisement

Awww it was lovely, came away with his little birth certs and he will even have his own little PPS number (as if we are some Dickensian parents who intend to send him out to work post haste!) the cuteness! It was a lovely little event tbh.

I know it's gas the pps numbers for them isn't it :-D

How is everyone getting on? We are starting to get into some form of a routine. Kinda haha can't believe she is a month old already time is really flying xx

Getting on great, we have a nice little routine going and he's just such a chilled, contended little boy. We are very proud. Finished his morning feed @ 9.30am, had cuddles on my chest for half an hour and he is now asleep here in the living room in the Moses basket with the little hands above the head snoring gently! :) We will have bath time around 12.30pm followed by lunch. Then a 3-4 hour nap followed by a feed. A little play on his baby gym this evening. Nap for another 3-4 hours. Another feed, nap again for four hours. He has a fussy period some evenings from roughly 10pm-12am which I find tough but Daddy takes all in his stride. Night feeds @ 2am (hubby does this) and another one @ 6am (which I do). So he is a great little boy, sleeps very well, and hubby and I really divide the labour so we are both managing to sleep more than we anticipated, it's great that he has the month off and my Mum is here too which is just amazing. He has put on 4oz and is just a happy, cuddly, curious little boy. Can't believe he'll be two whole weeks tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Merkin wrote: »
    Getting on great, we have a nice little routine going and he's just such a chilled, contended little boy. We are very proud. Finished his morning feed @ 9.30am, had cuddles on my chest for half an hour and he is now asleep here in the living room in the Moses basket with the little hands above the head snoring gently! :) We will have bath time around 12.30pm followed by lunch. Then a 3-4 hour nap followed by a feed. A little play on his baby gym this evening. Nap for another 3-4 hours. Another feed, nap again for four hours. He has a fussy period some evenings from roughly 10pm-12am which I find tough but Daddy takes all in his stride. Night feeds @ 2am (hubby does this) and another one @ 6am (which I do). So he is a great little boy, sleeps very well, and hubby and I really divide the labour so we are both managing to sleep more than we anticipated, it's great that he has the month off and my Mum is here too which is just amazing. He has put on 4oz and is just a happy, cuddly, curious little boy. Can't believe he'll be two whole weeks tomorrow!

You have a great routine by the sounds of it! We don't really yet, some days she is hungrier than others so the gaps between feeds can really vary meaning feeds are at different times every day. Hubbie was back to work this week so once I'm used to being here on my own I'll aim to put a bit of structure on our days.

This little one has put on nearly 6 oz as of yesterday, she's growing by the day!

I have had a really achy stiff back since the birth and yesterday went for physio to loosen it up. Not sure if it caused more harm than good or whether it's just coincidental but my back totally locked last night. Had to get the on call Doctor out to give me an injection. Total disaster with a newborn to look after. It has loosened up a bit already and my mam has come to do the lifting, feeding etc so I can rest today. Please god this resolves quickly!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Routine??! HA!! Not a hope, she feeds on demand, and a fair few of those feeds are just comfort sucks. Those are my favourite though, when she falls fast asleep on the boob :) our day consists of 2-3 hour feed, change, sleep cycles, and then for a couple of those cycles (usually around 4am :D) she'll be wide awake and looking to be entertained.

It's a real day by day journey eyes here, yesterday was a great day, we got out for a walk and she had some great naps, but today we've had a poosplosion, a bath, a post bath wee all over mum, three changes of clothes, two dirty nappies and projectile vomit over all the things and it's not even midday :pac:

• Advertisement

Merkin would you bath every day?

Ocean you poor thing with your back, did you have an epidural?

Jerrica your day today sounds very like mine my couch has been puked on twice already running out of spots to sit haha have to buy a leather one I think :-(

Merkin would you bath every day?

Ocean you poor thing with your back, did you have an epidural?

Jerrica your day today sounds very like mine my couch has been puked on twice already running out of spots to sit haha have to buy a leather one I think :-(

I did have an epidural. Though I do have long standing back problems which were miraculously cured by pregnancy, and now they're appearing again :(

Yes, bubs has a bath every day. Mum doing it at moment because I've had a Section. Being a little boy he's got lots of little folds and creases around his boy bits so I like him to have a little sponge down every day. He hates having his hair washed but loves the bath. I bought him a bath in Mothercare and also bought him a little recliner for the big bath and Id go with the baby bath every time, much easier to manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

Hi all,
    Hope you're all enjoying your new babies! Our 3 week old has good and bad days, but it can only get better. Today she's in the baby clinic in Holles St to see about the reflux she's been having. She's certainly not as placid as her bigger sister.

I know this is mostly a mum's thread, but I wanted to add some information I find important from a dad's perspective.

For any unmarried parents, I would strongly suggest the dad look at getting joint guardianship. Currently the mother is the sole guardian in these cases, and should something happen to her the guardianship would go to the mother's mother rather than the father.
    Joint guardianship is in most cases a very easy process and just requires you to fill out a form or forms and get them witnessed by a commisioner for oaths.

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    I did have an epidural. Though I do have long standing back problems which were miraculously cured by pregnancy, and now they're appearing again :(

That's gas normally the other way around you poor thing xx
    Hope your taking it easy today x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

fjon wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Hope you're all enjoying your new babies! Our 3 week old has good and bad days, but it can only get better. Today she's in the baby clinic in Holles St to see about the reflux she's been having. She's certainly not as placid as her bigger sister.

I know this is mostly a mum's thread, but I wanted to add some information I find important from a dad's perspective.

For any unmarried parents, I would strongly suggest the dad look at getting joint guardianship. Currently the mother is the sole guardian in these cases, and should something happen to her the guardianship would go to the mother's mother rather than the father.
    Joint guardianship is in most cases a very easy process and just requires you to fill out a form or forms and get them witnessed by a commisioner for oaths.

Hi Fjon,

Where's the best place to find a commisioner for oaths?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

Hi Fjon,

Where's the best place to find a commisioner for oaths?

Golden Pages, or just google it with your location. Many (all?) solicitors do this and there are plenty of them around. Shop around to get the cheapest one - all they're doing is witnessing you sign a form so they shouldn't charge a fortune!

My little munchkin is asleep beside me and he must be having a lovely little dream as he keeps smiling, it's the cutest thing ever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

My little munchkin is asleep beside me and he must be having a lovely little dream as he keeps smiling, it's the cutest thing ever :)

My heart breaks when Abigail does this! She's started to imitate smiles when awake as well. Health nurse said it was way too early, but agreed when she saw her do it that it wasn't a typical windy smirk. We're up to 6oz every four hours (she is a monster) and she is pretty much sleeping through the night (1am to 7.30/8am) so we are really blessed!

She's 3 weeks old on Thursday, even though I am adamant I only gave birth 3 days ago :pac:

10487348_10152339218177998_7427929863231655141_n.jpg

oh she's lovely Shasha! and you're lucky getting so much sleep. I can't tell how much I've slept last 24hrs, days are nights are blurred into one continuous stretch...

our little one is 9 days old today and giving us a lot of trouble. he started refusing taking the breast yesterday afternoon. he was latching on fine and feeding fine up till then and bang! it's gone. he shows signs of silent reflux, I'm all panicky, booked him in to see the pediatrician tomorrow morning.
    he was screaming his head off for two hrs today while I was trying to bf him with no luck - he latches on for a second, does a quick suck and spits everything out. I was all soaked with milk, he was the same but nothing was getting inside his tummy :( Lucky I expressed some milk this morning, so at the end I just gave him that and he wolfed it down and he's been sound asleep for two hrs now. I don't get what's going and I'm very upset because I really want to bf :(

• Advertisement

j@utis wrote: »
    oh she's lovely Shasha! and you're lucky getting so much sleep. I can't tell how much I've slept last 24hrs, days are nights are blurred into one continuous stretch...

our little one is 9 days old today and giving us a lot of trouble. he started refusing taking the breast yesterday afternoon. he was latching on fine and feeding fine up till then and bang! it's gone. he shows signs of silent reflux, I'm all panicky, booked him in to see the pediatrician tomorrow morning.
    he was screaming his head off for two hrs today while I was trying to bf him with no luck - he latches on for a second, does a quick suck and spits everything out. I was all soaked with milk, he was the same but nothing was getting inside his tummy :( Lucky I expressed some milk this morning, so at the end I just gave him that and he wolfed it down and he's been sound asleep for two hrs now. I don't get what's going and I'm very upset because I really want to bf :(

I had a very similar problem unfortunately. It turned out that Abigail couldn't get milk from my boob fast enough to satisfy her hunger, and the screaming that followed was making her sick and whatever she would get would come back up. I expressed then but as it turned out I had a very low supply and had to supplement with formula, and have now totally dried up (unrelated to the flow issue I imagine).
    Please don't consider bottle feeding your breastmilk to be a failure or letdown, it's still breast at the end of the day and in the bottle means you can get help with night feeds and get more sleep as breastmilk can be frozen for ages! I still put Abi to the breast when she is full, all she does is use me as a dummy then doze off but it keeps us bonded and close even though the boobs are empty :p

very interesting... It takes me forever to get anything out from my boobs too... I have an electric pump. This the morning I expressed only because baby wasn't taking the breast and the left one was getting really hard and sore. it took about 30mins to get 4oz. That's about as long as he used to stay on the breast before unlatching himself. Later in the afternoon I only got 2 oz in 45mins and that's from two breasts. Maybe my supply isn't adequate either.
    we'll see what pediatrician has to say tomorrow, if it's not reflux then it must be something to do with my milk supply...

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

What a lovely little girl you have Shasha!

Not entirely sure about the smiles, but I was singing Sean the Kookaburra song this morning, and it looked like he was smiling, although they do say at that stage it's just gas, but he looked so happy. Little monster is also managing to grab stuff now when wailing on the change table as well.

Of course I feel like I'm completely out of my depth here with this baby, but I just need to take it one day at a time, they don't call the first baby the "experiment" for nothing..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Over from June thread...our little lad cant latch properly and would scream crying with hunger so combined feeding is a blessing...means he gets benefits of breastmilk and regular satisying feeds from formula. All you can do is try your best....I had no idea beforehand how genuinely tough it could be!

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    My heart breaks when Abigail does this! She's started to imitate smiles when awake as well. Health nurse said it was way too early, but agreed when she saw her do it that it wasn't a typical windy smirk. We're up to 6oz every four hours (she is a monster) and she is pretty much sleeping through the night (1am to 7.30/8am) so we are really blessed!

She's 3 weeks old on Thursday, even though I am adamant I only gave birth 3 days ago :pac:

10487348_10152339218177998_7427929863231655141_n.jpg

OMG she is fabulous!! Beautiful child!

Wow - 6 oz! I haven't increased my little ones feed in 10 days so reckon she would take some more but at the same time she's going the guts of 4 hours between feeds with a longer stretch of anywhere from 5-7 hours at some stage during the night, though the times of her feeds are not regular yet. So not sure that she really needs any more! Confusing :(

My little one is only a few hours older than Abigail so it's interesting to know what other babies are taking!

She's a little cutie Shasha!

If you don't mind my saying, I thought it was advised never to let a newborn sleep through the night/go that long without food? We've been told to feed every 3-4 hours on demand but never to let more than four hours go past without feeding and that includes during the night. Our little fellow is sometimes a little sleepyhead during the night but I still wake him gently up if it's four hours. I'm interested to hear if you've been told otherwise.

Our little fellow is definitely smiling already! It makes us melt! :)

Ah shasha she is just a little cutie was only thinking of you today hadn't seen you here in ages x god I was ruby would sleep that long at night no hope of it she loves to shower us in lots of cuddles bon smiles during the night such a special time although I would love just 1nights sleep :-D

Merkin we were never told to wake them at night but don't have that problem anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I was told it's fine to let them sleep for as long as they want, let them find their own routine. :) I think our son was eleven days old when he first slept through ... took a few months before it was a regular occurrence though! He's seven months now and has slept through every night since maybe 3-4 months. Takes two or three good long naps during the day, too!

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Over from June thread...our little lad cant latch properly and would scream crying with hunger so combined feeding is a blessing...means he gets benefits of breastmilk and regular satisying feeds from formula. All you can do is try your best....I had no idea beforehand how genuinely tough it could be!
    I will try my best but I don't see myself lasting long pumping. It's so unnatural, mechanical, I can't find words describe what else but I really don't like it :( I have pumped for next 3 feeds and got a tub of formula just in case...
    I fed him my breast milk twice from the bottle so far and he's the happiest baby in the world, done some "tummy time", no signs of upset stomach and nappies are full again. Last 24hrs of trying to feed and failing, basically fighting for survival, took a lot out of him (and me!).

• Advertisement

She's a little cutie Shasha!

If you don't mind my saying, I thought it was advised never to let a newborn sleep through the night/go that long without food? We've been told to feed every 3-4 hours on demand but never to let more than four hours go past without feeding and that includes during the night. Our little fellow is sometimes a little sleepyhead during the night but I still wake him gently up if it's four hours. I'm interested to hear if you've been told otherwise.

Our little fellow is definitely smiling already! It makes us melt! :)

I was told by the midwife in the hospital never to wake them during the night and to let them find their own routine. I was never going to be made have a textbook baby anyway though - she's not always hungry every 4 hours and I've stripped her naked during a feed and she still refused to suck! She always wakes when she is hungry and at this stage we know roughly what time she will start to stir so we have the bottle ready!

Advertisement