Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    She's a cutie!! Glad to hear all is going well. That is just mad that she sleeps until 9 am or 10am.......amazing sleeper!

What weight is she now? I have no idea what weight my little one is at the moment........will go to the child welfare clinic once they start up again on Tuesday to find out.......can't wait!

She's been sleeping through for months now, never a restless night. She's got a cold at the minute and had a touch of conjunctivitis that's clearing up now with the ointment. Still sleeps all night :p
    Well at her 3 month check (which was at 4 months) she was 17lb exactly! No idea what she is at now, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

oh what a cutie! and she's not bald, i can see wee little hair there on the top of her head.

j@utis wrote: »
    oh what a cutie! and she's not bald, i can see wee little hair there on the top of her head.

We spray that on to help with her self-image issues :p
    Kidding, she does have a sprinkle of the most unusual strawberry/brown/blonde all over except for one big bald patch at the back :pac:

Currently singing in the other room by herself to her Tigger teddy. Eyebrows furrowing and rising as she talks, so funny to see her concentrate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

How is everyone getting on with weaning??

We're good here. I've been introducing food now for 2.5 weeks and am currently giving two small meals. Fruit and/or porridge in the morning - veg with meat/fish in the afternoon. She loves the food and has taken to it well though she has a small appetite. I feel what she needs is very little but really I have no experience of other babies weaning so maybe I'm wrong!

I've had to cut back to four bottles daily as the food was ruining her appetite for bottles and vice versa. By leaving slightly longer gaps between feeds it's giving her appetite a chance to build up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

It's hard to know what the "right" way to go about weaning is, just like everything else there are conflicting messages. In the blw camp the message is very much "food before one is fun" so solids are a way for babies to explore tastes and textures, and not as a way to fill them up, but it's hard then to gauge how much to keep feeding them.

I'd originally planned on doing blw but I'm giving H fruit by spoon in the mornings and she's loving it, she polished off almost half an apple and half a pear this morning. I'll be introducing home made veg soup at lunch today too. She's definitely feeding a little less during the day but still using through the night so she gets a lot of her cals that way.

Next week I'm going to start her with proper finger foods, we give her the odd soldier of toast or slice of Apple but she mostly has great fun playing with it and then drops it on the floor :D I'm thinking steamed carrots and other veg, slices of avocado, toast, fusili pasta. We're getting a proper nap routine going now (finally) and she's responding well to it so hopefully solid feeds will fit in around that but it'll be a good long while before she's getting more of her daily calories from food instead of the boob. Maybe I'll get more than two hour stretches of sleep at night then :eek:

• Advertisement

I've Abigail on 2-3 small meals a day, and her dinner and lunch is usually what we have. She is especially fond of bananas and dare not anyone come between her and her spuds n' mushy peas :pac:
    Just started sitting up by herself for about 10 seconds and we had our first baba the other day :D

... Aaaand I had a faint positive test yesterday morning. But I'm still not getting my hopes up and am waiting another 48 hours to retest!

Oh my goodness, congrats ShaSha!

H sat up the day she turned five months and now refuses to lie down :pac: She's a sturdy little buster, and a divil for moving, clothes and nappy changes have to be done on the floor now for fear she'll go toppling over.

Jerrica wrote: »

H sat up the day she turned five months and now refuses to lie down :pac: She's a sturdy little buster, and a divil for moving, clothes and nappy changes have to be done on the floor now for fear she'll go toppling over.

Yeah, we have to do Abigail on either the floor or the bed because she throws herself in the direction she wants to move :p
    And thanks, praying and hoping it wasn't a dud. The line was so bloody faint I was sure I was imagining it, but OH was able to put a pen nub right onto the line I saw and in a photo it looks pink, sooo... :p

Jerrica wrote: »

Wow, big congrats!!!

We are nowhere near sitting up. She is tall and skinny so I think her centre of gravity is way too high still. She needs to fill out a bit on her legs and bum before she will sit I think!

She isn't taking much less bottle I don't think.
    A couple of ounces maybe. But she is taking four almost full bottles rather than only taking a couple of ounces out of five bottles. Five bottles and two feeds was just too much in terms of frequency of eating/drinking.

I'm using the little tommee tippee food tubs that have the snap on lids. She is getting 2-3cm of food in them at the moment. How would that compare to what your babies are taking?

Shasha: you're complete nuts trying for another one already. madness, complete madness.

re Weaning: I started giving Ruben few pieces of fruit or veg per day over a week ago. He likes banana the most, I'm limiting it now to every 2nd day only. he's definitely got a sweet tooth like his dad. I'm starting proper BLW after 1st of Feb (6months on the day).

Ruben vs Melon:

He's not very interested in sitting but loves doing this:

• Advertisement

Yeah that sounds about the same for us for the food, it's about two or three big tablespoons worth? I'm really trying not to get hung up on amounts at the moment, I'm just trusting her to eat as much as she needs and we'll build on it from there. The problem with fruit and vegetables is they're not very good for giving bubs the fat and protein she needs for all this mega growth (isn't there a six month growth spurt coming up??) so I'm happy enough to keep the solids as a fun, exploratory thing and let the milk give her the calories.

Shasha: you're complete nuts trying for another one already. madness, complete madness.

So people keep telling me :p But my pregnancy was bliss, with only minor sciatic pain towards the end, and my labour was a rather uneventful 3 hours on gas and air. Then Abigail slept with only one break for a bottle in the night, and slept through the night since 4 weeks and is still doing it!

I curse her, she's tricked me into thinking its easy. I'm a very, very lucky mama - no PND, no bad colic, no huge issues with teething, no fuss with eating or anything like that! She has a lymphangioma in her cheek and we're waiting a consultant appointment as they recommended surgery but it's giving her no trouble either :o

I was trying really hard not to say that!!!! Not if you offered me a billion euros would I go again now! Fair dues to you ShaSha!

He's not very interested in sitting but loves doing this:

That's amazing that he can get up on all fours!!!! He is so advanced!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Hi ladies, glad all the July munchkins are doing well! The time is flying isn't it? We only really got into weaning in the last week and bubs has proven himself to be quite the little gourmand! I bought these little pots which are a nice little size to see roughly what he is eating and I've kept a record over the last few days to see what works and what doesn't. http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+brother-max-1st-stage-weaning-pots-6-x-40ml-in-weaning-and-mealtimes+b6734

I'm anxious not to decrease his milk intake by too much as he still needs all the nutrients it can offer so it took a little tweaking over the first few days as he wasn't drinking enough. I'm a believer in food until one is fun but am glad too that he had taken to it and that his palate has not impinged on the process (bar some food getting stuck in his nasal cavity which he sneezes out the poor little sausage!:o) He does the most adorable thing which is him insisting on holding the spoon with me when we spoon feed! I love that :) I'm a little bit anxious about finger foods because of palate so stick to soft things like avocado etc and am a bit fearful about harder foods. Any recommendations on what works well? He LOVES banana but I'll only give it mashed as a nurse warned me it's quite a serious choking hazard as it's so dense.

Have you ladies got a meal routine? This is working quite well for us.

Typical day looks like the following:

7am-8oz bottle
    9am-Porridge with fruit compote or baby rice
    11am-6oz bottle
    11.45/12-Carrot and potato or other combo
    2.30pm, 6oz bottle
    5.30pm 7oz bottle
    6.30pm- Mashed apple and banana with milk
    Bed @ 7pm and sleeps through

Is this ok? I'm a bit concerned that we went from 0-60 very quickly with the introduction of solids but he seemed ready and hungry for it but I hope it's not too much for his little system! His legs kick at roughly 100mph when he sees me coming with grub! :D Nappies healthy......bar the rather different fragrances since we are on big boy food......poooooeeeeeey!:eek:

It's such a lovely thing to share with our little 'uns isn't it?

Meant to say, I ordered this yesterday from Amazon on the recommendation of a friend as it's great for safely introducing lots of new flavours as well as helping with the tooty pegs! Reviews are good so I'll let you know how we get on when it arrives!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clevamama-ClevaFeed-Extra-Silicon-Teat/dp/B00I5JH2S6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421757315&sr=8-1&keywords=Clevamama+clevafeed

Merkin wrote: »

Have you ladies got a meal routine? This is working quite well for us.

Typical day looks like the following:

7am-8oz bottle
    9am-Porridge with fruit compote or baby rice
    11am-6oz bottle
    11.45/12-Carrot and potato or other combo
    2.30pm, 6oz bottle
    5.30pm 7oz bottle
    6.30pm- Mashed apple and banana with milk
    Bed @ 7pm and sleeps through

Is this ok? I'm a bit concerned that we went from 0-60 very quickly with the introduction of solids but he seemed ready and hungry for it but I hope it's not too much for his little system! His legs kick at roughly 100mph when he sees me coming with grub! :D Nappies healthy......bar the rather different fragrances since we are on big boy food......poooooeeeeeey!:eek:

It's such a lovely thing to share with our little 'uns isn't it?

Our routine since last weekend is -

7.30am Breakfast (fruit and/or porridge)
    8.45am 6.75oz bottle
    12pm 6.75oz bottle
    2am Lunch (veg and meat/fish)
    4pm 6.75oz bottle
    7.30pm 6.75oz bottle and bed

I had to switch the morning bottle and food around as she was due for breakfast at the time she was getting tired for a morning nap and as a result feeding time was not going smooth at all! So this is still very much a work in progress.

Quite similar then Ocean, that's reassuring! It's very much a work in progress, I suppose like us all they'll have days when they don't feel like it so much.

I tried an Ella's Kitchen for the first time yesterday (strawberry and apple) and he was NOT happy. I was surprised so tasted it myself and it was absolutely disgusting, so tart that it made my eyes water so no wonder he was making all kinds of faces!!

Do you think humous would be ok at this stage?

Merkin wrote: »
    Quite similar then Ocean, that's reassuring! It's very much a work in progress, I suppose like us all they'll have days when they don't feel like it so much.

I tried an Ella's Kitchen for the first time yesterday (strawberry and apple) and he was NOT happy. I was surprised so tasted it myself and it was absolutely disgusting, so tart that it made my eyes water so no wonder he was making all kinds of faces!!

Do you think humous would be ok at this stage?

The only pre - prepared thing I've used yet was the Ella's mango puree and it was grand. I put it in her porridge a few mornings.

I'm not a hummus fan myself so not hugely familiar with it but can't see it being a problem once it's either homemade or you make sure it doesn't have much salt.

I'm not a hummus fan myself so not hugely familiar with it but can't see it being a problem once it's either homemade or you make sure it doesn't have much salt.

This! The blw folk say that hummus is great as a spread for weaning, but best to make it yourself to regulate salt intake (ALL store bought hummus has salt, I've checked what feels like every brand!).

You can get very low salt stock cubes by Kallo, Dunnes do them here, Merkin I'm sure you could get them in the UK, they're handy to have in the cupboard.

• Advertisement

Oh goodie thanks, that means stews and soups on the menu then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I keep clicking in here thinking it's the July '15 thread! Boots have stock cubes with no salt. They have beef, chicken or vegetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭missjuly

Aw what gorgeous babies! Everyones weaning seems to be going so well! My little one won't eat! She is 27 weeks and just mostly spits out every food I give he. She had s few days about two weekw ago were she loved baby rice and ate it all but then just starts gagging.Have tried loads of diff veg baby led and purees. Admittedly I haven't given her anything sweet-because I read some times they won't eat veg or plainer foods but my next port of call is either stewed pear or some banana. I think she still has a very strong gag reflex.she always has always spat out calpol and infacol.She is still sleeping well from 9 pm till about 9 am and is still on her 4 9 ounce bottles! Hopefully we will get there very soon!

Weaning still going grand here but need to start widening the range of foods now. One batch each of butternut squash, sweet potato and carrot produced mountains of puree so I have been using them a lot in combination with chicken/fish etc. I'm sure she is bored of them plus she doesn't even need purees anymore (well able for mashed) so I feel we aren't challenging her. But I'm loathe to throw them out!!

Just wondering how people plan to introduce gluten now that we're at the 6 month mark?? Scrambled eggs seems the obvious way to add eggs, and grated cheese and yogurt are so easy in terms of dairy. I'm just really unsure what to give first for gluten!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭missjuly

Weaning is going much better now thank god! She just actually got the hang of it last week and loves eating now I am so relieved :-). I am sort of doing a mixture of baby led and traditional so I give her purees but also things like chunks of banana and carrots etc.going to try and introduce a beaker this week has anyone else done this yet any tips or info ha! Also are your little ones still sleeping in your room or their own? My little girl is still in our room she is nearly 7 months she is in a rocking crib so its an in between size of a moses basket and a regular cot. I know we are going to have to move her into her own room soon I think I will be so anxious. I have been tempted to buy one of those movement pads from angel care but they are so expensive and I hear they can false alarm with older babies that roll over and stuff. Does anyone have any experience of these?

I hope all the mammies and tots are doing well.....just think this time last year we were all pregnant!

missjuly wrote: »
    Weaning is going much better now thank god! She just actually got the hang of it last week and loves eating now I am so relieved :-). I am sort of doing a mixture of baby led and traditional so I give her purees but also things like chunks of banana and carrots etc.going to try and introduce a beaker this week has anyone else done this yet any tips or info ha! Also are your little ones still sleeping in your room or their own? My little girl is still in our room she is nearly 7 months she is in a rocking crib so its an in between size of a moses basket and a regular cot. I know we are going to have to move her into her own room soon I think I will be so anxious. I have been tempted to buy one of those movement pads from angel care but they are so expensive and I hear they can false alarm with older babies that roll over and stuff. Does anyone have any experience of these?

I hope all the mammies and tots are doing well.....just think this time last year we were all pregnant!

I've tried giving a beaker here a couple times over the last few days. Can't say it's gone too well! She seems to understand she should suck the spout but she doesn't swallow. She just opens her mouth and it all flows out!!! I'll keep trying ☺

We moved little miss into her room this weekend at exactly 6 months as I wanted her settled there before I'm back to work shortly. All went fine. It hasn't affected her sleep at all (for good or bad) and luckily we haven't found it nerve wrecking. However last night she decided she no longer wants to sleep on her back! Now that is making me nervous but at over the 6 month mark and being well able to roll over and back it's fine for her to sleep that way according to research on SIDS.

I'm delighted the feeding is going well missjuly, they're ready in their own good time and I think it literally clicks with them overnight doesn't it?

We move country in the next few days so not moving baby into his own room just yet. He'll be in a new home as it is so I feel moving him into his own room at the same time might be a bit much all at once. Will let him settle first and then look at moving when it feels right.

We have the Angelcare monitor and it's excellent. Haven't used the pad yet but intend to when he's not sleeping beside us. The monitor itself is great though, can't recommend it enough.

We're waiting till she's 1, then we're going to start the dreaded moving :o Her room's not ready yet anyway and she sleeps through, so it doesn't really bother us to have her in with us :p

That's amazing that he can get up on all fours!!!! He is so advanced!
    ;) it's funny to watch him doing that except when you put him to sleep into his cot bed in the eve and he starts practicing his sexy moves instead!
    ps he's been standing on his fours and rocking back and forth for over 3 weeks now but hasn't got anywhere so far, i.e. no crawling, no sitting up by himself. he's soooo booooring!

he doesn't drink anything else but milk from the boob. I tried offering him some boiled water from the beaker but he didn't get it. he chews on the spout instead of sucking it. I tried regular cup - also no luck. He doesn't take bottle anymore either. :confused:
    I'm a bit worried that he's dehydrated sometimes because he drools constantly and doesn't nurse that often anymore (every 3hrs+). drooling has got out of proportion now, his clothes are always wet at the front, skin on his chin and neck is destroyed by it, looked absolutely awful :( those bloody top front teeth are taking forever to cut through.

he's been sleeping in his own room since week 6 for half of the night. I sleep in our main bedroom until he wakes up for the first feed and then 'move in' to his room (have a sofa bed in there for myself).
    and he's sleeping on his tummy from the day he learned how to roll over (around 18wks). I felt nervous for the first few nights and then just got used to it. No monitors of any kind here.

Moving has one good thing about it - it really helps to reduce the stuff you've accumulated over years. I have piles of stuff in the attic, it's all junk, clutter, trash, it'd be smart to throw it out but I'm too attached to my hoard lol. now if I was moving I wouldn't bother dragging all that with me.

• Advertisement

Re the rash/irritated skin on baby's neck and chest, had similar problem with bubs and my Dad (he's a doctor) recommended Oilatum and I can't recommend it enough. It cleared it up literally overnight. If you can't get hold of it, some baby oil is fine. I was putting Caldesene on it as I thought it needed drying out, putting more moisture on it seemed counterintuitive but the secret is to keep it hydrated and it will clear up quickly.

Yes, dumping lots of stuff, it's quite cathartic, we are being ruthless!

Advertisement