Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surround sound setup help

• 30-10-2013 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy. I'm looking to buy a surround sound system for the living room and need advice for what to go for.

I currently have a 42 inch Sony Bravia with three HDMI ports, hooked up to a Sky HD box, an Xbox 360 and a WDTV Live media player. I mostly watch MKV or AVI movies on the media player and also through the Sky Box.

Can someone recommend a 5.1 system that won't break the bank that would be compatible with this setup? I don't huge a have budget, max €200-€250.

I'm not even sure if MKV's normally come with 5.1, or if stuff on Sky is 5.1...maybe yea can enlighten me?

Thanks.

WDTV Live ports:

wd_tv-2_leaked_pic_rear_view.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

mkv files can have many different sound formats including high quality 5.1, dtx etc and the skyboxes will do dolbly digital 5.1 over hdmi ( at least the newer ones do,) and the wdtv will be fine over hdmi as well. so you are all sorted there

There are two main types of cheaper 5.1 setups out there. Home cinema kits or 5.1 sound systems

Home cinema kits which usually include a bluray player with a built in amp and 5.1 speakers, but they often dont have any or enough hdmi inputs to connect additional devices such as your xbox, sky etc as the amp is often built into the blu ray player so they can be limited for what you want.

Idealy you could do with a 5.1 sound system as they usually consists of a separate amp with speakers and enough hdmi inputs so it can do sound/picture and switching between your sources with just a single hdmi cable each.

i would recommend one of these and you can simply add a blu ray player. but talk to richersounds here on boards and they will be able to help more

http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/categorydetail.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=3&sub=26

ps, mods. not sure if this is classed as advertising as we have a talk to richersounds forum, but delete the above link if needed.

Advertisement