Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time renting. What do I need to know?

Options
  • 30-10-2013 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

We will be first time renters after having owned our own house for years.we are hoping to be moved by April,when should i start looking for somewhere?because we are a family of 7,I'm finding it very difficult to find somewhere that suits us,size wise.
    Any advice that anyone has would be much appreciated. We need to move from our current house due to repossession.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

You are entering into a business arrangement, be business minded about it. If it's not in writing it's not worth the paper it's written on.

Take photos. Absolutely NO excuse in this day and age for a tenant not to thoroughly photograph and document a property with every single person having a camera phone for the last decade. Make sure you document in WRITING (computer type, or handwriting) not texts, phone calls, conversations or any other lazy form of communication any issues with the property.

The majority of landlords are grand but again bear in mind they are running a business. Some are down right charlatans however.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Bepolite wrote: »
    Take photos. Absolutely NO excuse in this day and age for a tenant not to thoroughly photograph and document a property with every single person having a camera phone for the last decade.

To add to this, inspect the property fully before moving in, and take it that the state of the property when you sign the lease is how it will remain for the duration. Too often a landlord will promise to fix things when you move in, and chances are it wont happen, or you will have a battle on your hands. Sign nothing until you are 100% happy with the property that you are moving into.

Advertisement