Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on assigning lease and house viewings

Options
  • 30-10-2013 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi all, was hoping to get some advice. I am in the process of breaking my fixed-term lease and assigning my lease (to? with? for? not sure of the exact term here...) a new tenant. I lived in a shared apartment and am looking to replace just myself.

I've set up about 15 viewings for tomorrow and am hoping that one of these prospective tenants will take up the place - however, just wondering what the etiquette is regarding one possible issue. I'm just wondering what I should do if say, prospective tenant #1 or #2 says that they will take the room - should I cancel all of the rest of the viewings? Should I let the rest of the lot know that the room has provisionally been taken but show them anyway? It's not as easy as getting a signature on a lease and a deposit down right there and then - the property is rented through a letting agency and so once someone decides to take it we'd have to visit their offices to pay deposits, fees to reassign lease, etc.

The answer to this may be very obvious but just wondering what others have done in this (or similar) situations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you are reassigning the lease then the landlord is entitled to (and most likely will want to) check out the new tenant, so its unlikely that you would be making anything other than a provisional agreement on the day.

If the first person who sees it wants to take it then usually they get it. Its up to you really though. You could allow all fifteen to see it and then choose from those who are interested, however if you let people go then you run the risk of them finding somewhere else in the meantime. If you choose the first person who shows interest then you run the risk of missing out on a better tenant. Its up to you really!

Advertisement