Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ancestry access to the census

• 30-10-2013 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭

Ancestry has access to the 1901 and 1911 census. It seems to be free ( I don't have a sub at the minute) and links the the national archives census pages.

This could be a really great option as if you know a couple of names it can narrow the search down.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The 1901 and 1911 Census Returns are free to access at nationalarchives.ie.:confused:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Useful for those doing their tree for the first time in Ancestry as it'll import DoB and location info. Very useful when you have a family of 13 kids and don't feel like doing it all manually. Just double-check before you import !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Hermy wrote: »
    The 1901 and 1911 Census Returns are free to access at nationalarchives.ie.:confused:

Yes but if you search for say John Smith on the national archives you get lots and lots of results.
    On Ancestry you can search for John Smith, with his fathers name and mothers name which can return a much better list of results.

This is something I have hoped for as one of my ancestors has a very common name and this could help me. I had emailed the national archives to enquire about a search option like this on their site. So I think this is a very good move by Ancestry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I mentioned this as an omission in a feedback survey I did for them - they should try get every single free index they can added as it reduces double-working. For instance, them having FreeBMD has saved me quite a bit of time despite having very few in England/Wales on the tree.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

On Ancestry you can search for John Smith, with his fathers name and mothers name which can return a much better list of results.

Fair point googled eyes!:o
    Search options on National Archives site are a bit limited to be sure.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This could also be very useful for newbies particularly if its fed in to Ancestry's Hints system (which I can't check; as I'm out of sub at the moment); it was that that got me in depth in to the US census. The more work they've done on the index the more value they'll have added to it - their US censuses are linked by electoral district properly so they often give you an accurate hint for every other census when you add a record for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I recently tried a search on Ancestry - first name, last name and place of birth was Dublin - the result threw up over 100,000 names including many in the USA. I wasn't going to start wading through all those possibilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

You might not have searched solely in the "Web: Ireland, Census, 1901" or "Web: Ireland, Census, 1911" database, and maybe were one level up at "Census and Voter Lists"?

A search in "Census and Voter Lists" would throw up matches from all databases in that group, which would include all US federal and state censuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭tanoralover

odds_on wrote: »
    I recently tried a search on Ancestry - first name, last name and place of birth was Dublin - the result threw up over 100,000 names including many in the USA. I wasn't going to start wading through all those possibilities.

In advanced search, tick the box that says "Match all terms exactly".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

You might not have searched solely in the "Web: Ireland, Census, 1901" or "Web: Ireland, Census, 1911" database, and maybe were one level up at "Census and Voter Lists"?

A search in "Census and Voter Lists" would throw up matches from all databases in that group, which would include all US federal and state censuses.
    In advanced search, tick the box that says "Match all terms exactly".
    I was trying the 14 day free trial but just cancelled it - Ancestry didn't really help me - though I have been doing the family tree for some 20 years so probably got most of the info already. At their price, I find it rather expensive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement