Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marketing student needed

Options
  • 30-10-2013 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm starting up my own business and really would love some help from a marketing student.

I can't really afford to pay but they could use my business as experience for their own portfolio and I could provide them with some services that my own business will be doing.

I'm based in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

pm sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

TBH I think asking for free help on a private business is a bit rich. You could at least offer to pay something rather than experience. As kind as your offer my seem, it is insulting to ask people to work for free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

TBH I think asking for free help on a private business is a bit rich. You could at least offer to pay something rather than experience. As kind as your offer my seem, it is insulting to ask people to work for free.

Tbh there are hundreds if not thousands of students whod be happy as a pig in ****e to get some work experience DURING college.

If it doesnt cost the student anything then I dont see the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Business has only two functions — marketing and innovation.”
    Peter F. Drucker

I have marketing as part of my MSc. I wouldn't mind knowing a little more about your start up. Offering a bit of theory on top of what you already have might be of some use.

Any way..best of luck OP.

BTW..theres a bit more to the above quote if I remember correctly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

People saying that it's insulting to students to ask them to work for free need to take a long look out the window at the economy. And any student that's insulted should realize that there's thousands of people much better than them, unemployed, chomping at the bit to get a job.

The likes of Tesco not paying 'interns' to stack shelves is scummy. A small business or entrepreneur engaging students in a bit of voluntary work for a few hours a week isn't. A decent reference and some experience in the 'real world' beats any pay cheque IMO.

PM sent, OP.

• Advertisement

My point on this is; there is something wrong in a society when you are asking people who traditionally have very little money to work for free on your private business to make money for you. There are other schemes in place, the job bridges programme for example (which has problems but at least there is money).
    I do not doubt the OP's altruism in offering the position and would commend s/he on starting a new business but I do not believe this is an appropriate offer. If someone works then they should be paid for it. The weak economy is not an argument against this, if anything it is an argument for it. We should not be in a race to the bottom situation nor should we be turning to each other and saying "You ought to be grateful for that job, I'd do it for less".

As for the "take a long look out the window at the economy" comment, I am perfectly aware of the economy. I am currently working and doing a PhD at the same time. It is not easy and I am likely going to have to emigrate at the end of my studies.
    By making comments like this it does not add value to your own argument, instead serves only to weaken it by relying on cliches.

My point on this is; there is something wrong in a society when you are asking people who traditionally have very little money to work for free on your private business to make money for you. There are other schemes in place, the job bridges programme for example (which has problems but at least there is money).
    I do not doubt the OP's altruism in offering the position and would commend s/he on starting a new business but I do not believe this is an appropriate offer. If someone works then they should be paid for it. The weak economy is not an argument against this, if anything it is an argument for it. We should not be in a race to the bottom situation nor should we be turning to each other and saying "You ought to be grateful for that job, I'd do it for less".

As for the "take a long look out the window at the economy" comment, I am perfectly aware of the economy. I am currently working and doing a PhD at the same time. It is not easy and I am likely going to have to emigrate at the end of my studies.
    By making comments like this it does not add value to your own argument, instead serves only to weaken it by relying on cliches.

I disagree with this attitude. Look at anyone from the 19th century who made great discoveries or invented new technologies. At one point, normally during college, they were someone 'under study'.

If the OP is asking me to put in a 39 hour week for free with an attitude that I'm a worthless pee-on then it's going to be a big NOPE from me.

I suspect however, that they have no experience in marketing and are offering someone with a bit of spare time the chance to put what they've learned in college into practice.

The alternative is that a student sits on their laurels and gets no experience.

Your point about Job Bridge is way off. Students have ZERO access to it as you have to be on the dole for a period of 12 months. Students cannot get the dole. The scheme is a joke anyway. I've heard nothing but negative experiences from it. Interns being worked like dogs, learning nothing and going nowhere. I prefer a direct relationship with a company. The government can take its nose out. They shouldn't be supporting businesses with Job Bridge, they should be supporting entrepreneurs in a more meaningful way.

I really don't care if I'm racing to the bottom or devaluing other peoples careers. I have goals I want to reach and if an opportunity arises whereby I can develop some skill/expertise, then I'll take it.

Final Note: About 90% of the people in my class have zero experience outside of the usual retail jobs. The first 'Business Conversation' they'll likely have will be a job interview (if they get one). Not exactly an ideal scenario for a graduate.

A lot of my friends can't string together an email or lack the self confidence to make a phone call to a business (seriously).

During the summer I worked with a small business in Dublin on their social media efforts. Nothing major. Over a period of six weeks I think I did maybe 20 hours of work. And it was I who approached them with an offer to work.

Meeting with business owners and 'working' (even if it is only tid bits) helped me greatly. It also helped me realise what it is I want to do when I leave college. Some of the most successful entrepreneurs got started by ringing companies and asking questions, looking for advice/work (Steve Jobs, for one).

Any SMEs on here looking for a little bit of help should be emailing student unions, posting in the forums on here etc... Or PM me! :P

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Your point about Job Bridge is way off. Students have ZERO access to it as you have to be on the dole for a period of 12 months. Students cannot get the dole.

I really don't care if I'm racing to the bottom or devaluing other peoples careers. I have goals I want to reach and if an opportunity arises whereby I can develop some skill/expertise, then I'll take it.

A lot of my friends can't string together an email or lack the self confidence to make a phone call to a business (seriously).

Firstly, I understand the job bridges programme. My point, if you care to read it again, was that there are many people unemployed that could apply for such a thing through such a scheme. I understand that students are not able to join it.

I found your comments about how you don't care about the race to the bottom quite depressing and self serving. I think you should understand in business that this attitude will not get you far. You may think it seems like good tough american capitalist talk, but no one will be willing to do business with you. Honey catches more flies than vinegar.

Perhaps if your friends are so incompetent with their grammar and syntax then you should suggest to your institution that classes be put in place to deal with it.

Firstly, I understand the job bridges programme. My point, if you care to read it again, was that there are many people unemployed that could apply for such a thing through such a scheme. I understand that students are not able to join it.

So your point is that people who want experience, should go through a lengthy bureaucratic mill and be furnished with an internship. Why not just ring a few business and see if they bite? Why do I need a huge government program to get experience in a business?

Mind boggles.
    I found your comments about how you don't care about the race to the bottom quite depressing and self serving. I think you should understand in business that this attitude will not get you far. You may think it seems like good tough american capitalist talk, but no one will be willing to do business with you. Honey catches more flies than vinegar.

I'm really not trying to come across as some right wing capitalist.

My attitude might be self serving, but who else am I going to serve when I'm unemployed and want experience? Should I just wait patiently in line for an internship or opportunity to roll to my feet?? :confused:

Perhaps if your friends are so incompetent with their grammar and syntax then you should suggest to your institution that classes be put in place to deal with it.

Already exists, AFAIK. We also have two 'Career' sessions a week which get around 3-4% attendance. Most students don't seem to care and are expecting a flurry of interviews based on their totally unique BA in Business.

My opinion would be: from a students perspective this could be a great opportunity to gain some valuable experience, and I would go for it big time. I dont get Saltys opinion here, I dont think thats the kind of attitude that is going to get you a good start in a tough economy/business world.
    As a business owner though its suicide to get a marketing student to dictate your marketing policies, as they have no experience in business or reality, unless you get lucky and get someone with some real talent to do this for you.
    Just read the same books they are reading in college and you'll be on the same level.
    I have a Bsc in marketing, its not all its cracked up to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Whilst I somewhat understand what saltyjack is getting at here, i.e. a fair days work should equate to a fair days pay, unfortunately the world is no longer built on such straight forward values. Experience of any kind can prove invaluable to a young graduate, and long-term focus, such as what Dean0088 is demonstrating here is what's required. And most particularly so in the more creatively-focused areas such as marketing and other areas like design and media.

Thinking back to when I graduated a few years ago and sitting in the hot seat in job interviews, the ability to provide experiential and practical examples of how I applied both myself and my academic knowledge to real-world scenarios proved invaluable. Nobody cares if I was given a few quid for my troubles at the time.

Pride is a good thing. Too much pride is a recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

I would like to find a marketing person as well to give me a hand for free, will pay with a free lunch It's a new unique lunch time food concept. Please pm of interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

I would like to find a marketing person as well to give me a hand for free, will pay with a free lunch It's a new unique lunch time food concept. Please pm of interested.

Advertisement