Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confidentiality

Options
  • 30-10-2013 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi There,

I (21) have a current loan with my Local Credit Union, and while I've implicitly stated to them that I am the only one to gain access to that account, I have heard of situations where people have asked for details on their childrens' accounts (children being over 21) and been given them.

In my situation, my parents out of annoyance refused to assist me financially through my Masters, so I got my aunt secretly to guarantee my loan as she was aware of the whole family mess.

I told my parents I didn't need a guarantor for the loan, and now my mum has asked for a copy of my loan agreement for something to do with Medical Insurance/Revenue (It's probably just a lie to get access to the loan agreement, but if I refuse she'll say I have something to hide).

My aunt's name is not on the main portion agreement, so the information shouldn't come out, but what I want to know is if my mum decides to approach the lady who signed off on my loan with the CU and they give her information, would I be entitled to take up legal action against them?

Because 1) It's my account and only in my name,
    2) I asked for only myself to have access,
    3) If my mum discovers that I have gotten my Aunt to guarantee the loan, she'll definitely cause problems.

Sorry to the mods if I should've placed this elsewhere.

Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭joostl

shels_m wrote: »
    Hi There,

I (21) have a current loan with my Local Credit Union, and while I've implicitly stated to them that I am the only one to gain access to that account, I have heard of situations where people have asked for details on their childrens' accounts (children being over 21) and been given them.

In my situation, my parents out of annoyance refused to assist me financially through my Masters, so I got my aunt secretly to guarantee my loan as she was aware of the whole family mess.

I told my parents I didn't need a guarantor for the loan, and now my mum has asked for a copy of my loan agreement for something to do with Medical Insurance/Revenue (It's probably just a lie to get access to the loan agreement, but if I refuse she'll say I have something to hide).

My aunt's name is not on the main portion agreement, so the information shouldn't come out, but what I want to know is if my mum decides to approach the lady who signed off on my loan with the CU and they give her information, would I be entitled to take up legal action against them?

Because 1) It's my account and only in my name,
    2) I asked for only myself to have access,
    3) If my mum discovers that I have gotten my Aunt to guarantee the loan, she'll definitely cause problems.

Sorry to the mods if I should've placed this elsewhere.

Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks guys :)

She can't access ur records without ur explicit consent

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shels_m

Yes,

My problem is that she's a determined woman, and we live in a small town. I wouldn't put it past her to convince someone to try and let her have that access.

But I would have the right to take up a complaint with them should they allow her that access.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If I was you, I'd go into the CU, ask for a person to person meeting (i.e. in private) with the manager and explain the situation. Tell the manager in no uncertain terms that the information on your loan is sensitive for family reasons and is not to be given to your mother under any circumstances. You don't have to explain the exact details, just point out that your aunt guaranteed the loan and that that fact is not to be disclosed to your mother.

There's theoretical sanctions under the Credit Union Act 1997 for breaches of confidence but proving who actually released the information (if it's given verbally) is next or nigh impossible so in all probability, nobody will be held to account if your mother goes digging and one of the CU officials gives her the information she's looking for.

Perfect!

Unfortunately, I live in Galway while in University and the CU in question is in my home town that is over a half hour away, so do you think it should be possible to have that conversation over the phone?

Or would I be able to set up a specialized security question on my account that if she were cheeky enough to ring and pretend to be me, that she wouldn't actually be able to access the account or it's information?

The circumstances are complicated, and while I could probably (badly) cope with the fallout, I would rather there BE no chance of my mother getting her hands on the information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Perfect!

Unfortunately, I live in Galway while in University and the CU in question is in my home town that is over a half hour away, so do you think it should be possible to have that conversation over the phone?

coylemj advice is spot on. I'd say it's fine to have the conversation over the phone but, in either case, put it in writing in a registered letter as well (e.g. "thanks for taking the time to talk today, just to recap ....".) Once the CU manager sees a letter he/she'll be doubly on their guard, possibly put a note on the file, have a chat with the staff, etc.

Or would I be able to set up a specialized security question on my account that if she were cheeky enough to ring and pretend to be me, that she wouldn't actually be able to access the account or it's information?

That would probably depend on the CU, you can ask the manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

coylemj advice is spot on. I'd say it's fine to have the conversation over the phone but, in either case, put it in writing in a registered letter as well (e.g. "thanks for taking the time to talk today, just to recap ....".) Once the CU manager sees a letter he/she'll be doubly on their guard, possibly put a note on the file, have a chat with the staff, etc.

Some CU managers might consider the registered letter a bit OTT, especially if the OP has had a convivial chat on the phone outlining his concerns and the CU manager agreed to respect the confidentiality he is looking for.

Can't see that a registered letter will achieve anything except to get people's backs up.

I rang the CU today, and explained the situation, that the guarantor was putting her neck on the line and nobody should find out she's tied to the loan.

They couldn't passcode the account, but they have put a flashing message up on my account that all loan details are prohibited from being discussed over the phone, even with me.

So that at least seems to be some relief.

Thanks for all your help guys :)

Advertisement