Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

did anyone ever have money go missing from self service lodgement envolope

Options
  • 30-10-2013 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I lodged money today using self service lodgement envelope in ulster bank I lodged 180 euro. Then I got a call 15 minutes later saying they opened the lodgement envelope and there was only 130 euro in it. I said I would call in to talk to them when I went in the cashier started asking me did I count it right could I have dropped it on the floor and how if it was dropped on the floor someone would have picked it up.

I am sure I had the money in my wallet and I counted it out twice before I put it in the envelope. My mum was also with me at the time. And also the cashier checked in the machine. And they also said they opened the envelope with an other person. They made an incident report of it and said they'll ring me if someone hands it in.

I am positive that I put 180 in I even know the money breakdown 3 50s 1 20 and a 10. I never make mistakes with money or lose it as I worked as a sales assistant before and always gave out the correct amount and can do it quickly and even when I was a child I used to even count all my pennys in my piggy bank as a game the whole timel. Did this ever happen to anyone else here and what should I do
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Ask if they have camera footage of the lodgement area. Someone took a 50 out of it... If it's someone working in a bank I don't think 50 euro would be enough to steal to risk losing their job... Are you absolutely sure that you put in the 3 50s? I've never heard of this happening but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

To avoid situations like this, envelopes are opened by two staff members. I'm pretty sure most institutions operate this policy.

Unfortunately, in the majority of these cases it's down to customer error.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

99% of the FL boxes are covered by a camera. They should have already viewed the footage to see if they can see anything.

It happens a lot and as stated its mostly a customer error.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

I lodge thousands for work regularly. I've lost count of the mistakes the bank have made. Stick to your guns. My bank doesn't have two members of staff opening envelopes anyway and lodgements are supposed to go into a time safe for at least 20 mins per there policy that doesn't happen either.

Mollyd90 wrote: »
    I lodge thousands for work regularly. I've lost count of the mistakes the bank have made. Stick to your guns. My bank doesn't have two members of staff opening envelopes anyway and lodgements are supposed to go into a time safe for at least 20 mins per there policy that doesn't happen either.

I'm afraid you are incorrect with the Time Lock statement. As for the 2 staff members to open, that is also policy.

OP may stick to their guns and the branch may or may not give the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I only had this with lodgements with work, they were double counted in store and sealed with 2 signatures over the seal.
    Still there money was missing from the lodgements.
    The money was always found though sometimes it was 6 Weeks later.
    Once your process is watertight they will have to give you the full amount.

The problem with your lodgement is you only have 1 witness, they have 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I only had this with lodgements with work, they were double counted in store and sealed with 2 signatures over the seal.
    Still there money was missing from the lodgements.
    The money was always found though sometimes it was 6 Weeks later.
    Once your process is watertight they will have to give you the full amount.

The problem with your lodgement is you only have 1 witness, they have 2.

OP potentially has two as well... OP states they were with their Mum at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

I'm afraid you are incorrect with the Time Lock statement. As for the 2 staff members to open, that is also policy.

OP may stick to their guns and the branch may or may not give the money.

Well the big sign up in the secure cash area of my branch says otherwise and there is usually only one person in the corner counting cash while the others deal with customers and has never called over anyone to witness opening evelopes when I was there.

Are you talking about fast cash or the express lodgement process? Cause there is a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ann13

called them today and they are still insisting that I only lodged 130 there is no way I did as I had the money folded in my wallet in my bag when I withdrew the money and then walked to the bank 5 min walk then counted twice with my mum on the self service counter and put it in the envelope and then put it into the slot unless it disappeared into thin air. I always lodge around this amount every two weeks with the cashier and always count it right it's a bit of a coincidence that the first time I don't add it right is the first time I use self lodge. They are sticking by their story anyway something fishy went down in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Then make a formal complaint. Get them to "stick to their story" in the form of a final response complaint letter.

If you wish after that refer it to the ombudsman for review.

Advertisement