Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passion vs. Prosperity: Career Choice

• 30-10-2013 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi there,

I'm admittedly quite a good student in school, my mom often told me I could pursue any job under the sun. See, that's my problem.

I could study something in STEM or law etc. and go off and get a nice salary for myself. However, I can't see myself working in the same type of environment for the rest of my life. I know I sound naïve but I want to travel and live my life to the fullest.

What I think I want, is to study arts. English and Philosophy or something along those lines. Whenever I tell anyone this they tell me it's a "waste of brains" or something like that. The fact remains that getting a job is so much harder with a general arts degree. If I have no means of income, obviously I cannot live the life I (possibly foolishly) seek.

Basically, I'm confused and I'm worried that I won't be able to sustain a pleasurable life with little income. Should I risk it anyway?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

You say you want to travel and live your life to the fullest and you'd be interested in studying arts in English and Philosophy. Have you considered about teaching around the world in 3rd world countries. There's a big demand for it and you work by contract so you could be living in Vietnam one year and then in Bolivia in another year.

Might be something you could look at?

The demand is in teachers teaching english.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

Well if you follow your passion then prosperity will come along with it. Screw the system and do what you love.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mendelmania

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    You say you want to travel and live your life to the fullest and you'd be interested in studying arts in English and Philosophy. Have you considered about teaching around the world in 3rd world countries. There's a big demand for it and you work by contract so you could be living in Vietnam one year and then in Bolivia in another year.

Might be something you could look at?

The demand is in teachers teaching english.

That sounds super cool! I'll definitely look into it. I'm not sure if there's a teacher in me but I'm a firm believer that a good teacher is the key to a subject. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mendelmania

Well if you follow your passion then prosperity will come along with it. Screw the system and do what you love.

I hope you're right!

Studying religion as an exam subject has made me realise that how much I love learning about people. And while humanities is an area that is sometimes hard to conquer, I think it's the right path for me.

I just hope I won't be unemployed with a somewhat "useless" degree in four years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Hi there,

I'm admittedly quite a good student in school, my mom often told me I could pursue any job under the sun. See, that's my problem.

I could study something in STEM or law etc. and go off and get a nice salary for myself. However, I can't see myself working in the same type of environment for the rest of my life. I know I sound naïve but I want to travel and live my life to the fullest.

What I think I want, is to study arts. English and Philosophy or something along those lines. Whenever I tell anyone this they tell me it's a "waste of brains" or something like that. The fact remains that getting a job is so much harder with a general arts degree. If I have no means of income, obviously I cannot live the life I (possibly foolishly) seek.

Basically, I'm confused and I'm worried that I won't be able to sustain a pleasurable life with little income. Should I risk it anyway?

Thank you!

Well, if you rally like travel you should do Arts.
    You'll never get a job at home so you'll have to travel.

Seriously, try to do a degree with a bit of credibility.
    It'll stand to you.
    Plenty of scientists and engineers end up working in other fields later on.
    Give yourself as many options as possible by doing a degree that is well respected.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Also if you've top exam results and you really want to do an Arts degree - aim for the best universities, like Oxbridge.
    This will put you at the top of the pile after graduation (usually).

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FudgeBrace

I have the same problem. I would love to study English in university and go on to be a writer or even work with a publisher, anything with books! I don't see myself in a lab coat for the rest of my life, but sometimes I feel that its the wiser, safer choice. I don't know, its all very difficult to get your head around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Do whatever you enjoy. Certainly I'd say to everyone never ever worry about employment prospects when choosing your degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

This philosopher may be of help to you:

Just for good measure, Mr Frost may also be of help:

THE ROAD NOT TAKEN

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5

Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim,
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear;