Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advocate Spot on went mostly on fur, not skin?

• 30-10-2013 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭

Found fleas on my cat last night, first time in 5 years! :eek:

I got advocate spot on treatment from the vet, I know you're supposed to part the fur at the back of the cats neck and apply it directly to the skin, but my cat moved and I feel like most of it went on the fur instead, he's short haired average domestic cat. The treatment is on the back of the neck so he definitely won't be able to lick it off. Should it eventually sink in and do the job, or will it not have worked as it went on the fur rather than the skin?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

This nearly always happens to me.But it always works. Give it 48 hours and check to see if there any fleas, I bet there wont be. its expensive stuff to be wasting. I never could understand why its so expensive compared to the equivalent human spot on! Its a rip off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It's not really, seeing as it treats fleas, lice, ear mites, harvest mites, the common roundworms, lungworm etc. etc. That's why it's more expensive than a fipronil product (e.g. Frontline) that only treats fleas and lice. Also could be that the patent hasn't run out yet?

boomerang wrote: »
    It's not really, seeing as it treats fleas, lice, ear mites, harvest mites, the common roundworms, lungworm etc. etc. That's why it's more expensive than a fipronil product (e.g. Frontline) that only treats fleas and lice. Also could be that the patent hasn't run out yet?

I've paid 6.50 for the flea stuff alone for 4 cats nearly every month. I'm sorry but it just doesnt make any sense why its so expensive for such a tiny little bit of liquid. Yes it works, I'm not disputing that. Is it really that expensive to make that tiny drop of liquid in the factories that produce these magic vials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

If you blow gently on the fur it will part to the skin allowing you to hold it back before application.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

That's a great idea about blowing gently on the fur!

Agree the flea spot-ons (Eliminall/Frontline/Effipro) are expensive by volume, but you're paying extra for the convenience. You can also get Frontline in a spray bottle. Works out much cheaper but you have to calculate how many squirts of spray to give and make sure you saturate the coat.

Advocate isn't available as a spray bottle. I know it's a more expensive spot on than those that just do fleas and ticks, but it acts against so many parasites. It's a great product that way and worth the extra few bob - for puppies and kittens over nine weeks old it spares you having to buy a separate roundwormer and ear mite treatment. Likewise Stronghold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

I've paid 6.50 for the flea stuff alone for 4 cats nearly every month. I'm sorry but it just doesnt make any sense why its so expensive for such a tiny little bit of liquid. Yes it works, I'm not disputing that. Is it really that expensive to make that tiny drop of liquid in the factories that produce these magic vials.

Are you sure you need to do it nearly every month? I tend not to use these products prophylactically, as they are not exactly gentle.

Instead I would keep a careful eye on the animals, perhaps using a fine-toothed comb through the coat, brushing onto absorbent paper, once a month, and if you get reddish dots falling onto the paper, then they have been bitten by fleas, and should have a treatment.

If you are fairly vigilant with that, you will catch the problem before you have a house infestation, and will spare your cats some unnecessary, rather harsh interventions, and yourself quite a lot of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Boomerang just explained that. It is MORE than a flea treatment. I think €6.50 is a good price to ensure my precious cat is free from roundworms, fleas, ticks etc

Also you can apply it in different skin spots around the neck area to avoid run off. So long as the cat can't reach the area to lick it off of course.

ferretone wrote: »
    Are you sure you need to do it nearly every month? I tend not to use these products prophylactically, as they are not exactly gentle.

Instead I would keep a careful eye on the animals, perhaps using a fine-toothed comb through the coat, brushing onto absorbent paper, once a month, and if you get reddish dots falling onto the paper, then they have been bitten by fleas, and should have a treatment.

If you are fairly vigilant with that, you will catch the problem before you have a house infestation, and will spare your cats some unnecessary, rather harsh interventions, and yourself quite a lot of money.

Hi. I check all of the cats every few weeks and there's always 1 of them that's carrying an unwanted passenger. They live outside mostly but are indoors alot too and are in contact with other cats in the area.
    I need to be strict on it because I have 1 young kid who adore these cats and she always has them in her arms and cuddles them like teddy bears.
    I have treated their bedding and their shed. Its the summer when its the worst, but this year seems particularly bad. Just as I'm typing this now I see one of them scratching again, time to get out the nit comb and the wallet.

I don't buy the combi stuff every month to cut the cost on the whole thing. I have a separate worm medicine that I hide in their food every few months.
    The vet I get the flea spot on swears by the stuff so I take his recommendation. Maybe its been less effective when I think of it now.

Advertisement