Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple store in Dublin

• 30-10-2013 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭

See the following page...

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/future-apple-stores/

The link to the pdf file in the first bullet links to an 8 pages report.

The 8th page has an entry for a Dublin store to be opened on Grafton or Suffolk st.

No dates there, but it seems to be on the cards.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

This excites me a lot :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It’s a good website, but it’s run by an Apple enthusiast based on job listings and newspaper reports. He has no inside knowledge of Apple's plans. What you read in the PDF is outdated speculation based on an article published in the Tribune in 2009. See here:

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2009/06/10/apple-scouting-dublin-for-bargains/

An Apple Store for Dublin is definitely on the cards and has been for a long time. The problem is Apple will happily wait years until they find the right spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

What constitutes the right spot for Apple anyway? Is it location specific or adequate floorspace or all of the above?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

All of the above. But for their first Irish store they’d want somewhere high profile and prestigious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Apparently Apple will only open a store on Grafton Street and the AIB was perfect. AIB was going to sell it for something like €40 million, but decided to keep it( its about the only bank branch in City center that is actually busy).

Apple probably had the opportunity in the old HMV store but that sold to a Zara sister company. Meaning there is no store big enough and more importantly cheap enough for Apple in Dublin. They have had lots of opportunities like the old NIB on College green, but thats gone to H&M. I wouldnt expect an Apple store any time soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

All of the above. But for their first Irish store they’d want somewhere high profile and prestigious.

Some would argue that they already have an Irish store in Belfast but I know what you mean.

I don't get this high profile and prestigious thing at all

Firstly Dublin is not exactly prestigious on the world stage.

Secondly, surely the likes of Dundrum shopping centre with the big brand stores would be good enough do.

I don't get the policy either when you see they have a store in Belfast and two in Glasgow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Opening a genuine Apple store here has being hampered for years by old distribution contracts with an existing 'entity' in Glanmire, in Cork, who are 'an issue' .... eh, I heard from a guy in a pub ! ......... :cool:

murpho999 wrote: »
    Some would argue that they already have an Irish store in Belfast but I know what you mean.

I don't get this high profile and prestigious thing at all

Firstly Dublin is not exactly prestigious on the world stage.

Secondly, surely the likes of Dundrum shopping centre with the big brand stores would be good enough do.

I don't get the policy either when you see they have a store in Belfast and two in Glasgow.

The Republic is a separate market. They go country by country. Once they are established they seem less fussy about location and more inclined to slap them into shopping centres, etc. They actually have almost 40 stores in the UK (they've been there for almost a decade). They aren't all like the one on Regent Street, though. Once they arrive in Ireland we'll probably see them popping up all over the place. But for their flagship stores they take a lot of care in choosing the best location. They want somewhere outdoors in the most upmarket part of the capital. And they'll probably want to own the premises as well if possible.

The Republic is a separate market. They go country by country. Once they are established they seem less fussy about location and more inclined to slap them into shopping centres, etc. They actually have almost 40 stores in the UK (they've been there for almost a decade). They aren't all like the one on Regent Street, though. Once they arrive in Ireland we'll probably see them popping up all over the place. But for their flagship stores they take a lot of care in choosing the best location. They want somewhere outdoors in the most upmarket part of the capital. And they'll probably want to own the premises as well if possible.

They're recent strategy is not a great indictor of imminent intent though. Allowing Arnotts to invest in having a big Apple section and others too, in addition to Compub doing their best impression of a 'real' apple store..... one wonders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Would cost them a lot in tax too. There's a reason their European HQ is in Cork, yet there are no Apple stores in the Republic.

Can't see it happening any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Would cost them a lot in tax too. There's a reason their European HQ is in Cork, yet there are no Apple stores in the Republic.

I really doubt that is the reason, structures in companies like Apple are complex and retail are could be a different division, subsidiary etc.

Sorry, nice idea, but this possible theory doesn't hold water, tax wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I imagine that would be the case if it was a post box company. But they actually have a pretty large work force in Cork and I cant see opening a store would affect their tax situation

As much as they need them, Apple don't like resellers and make life very difficult for them, especially when they are planning to enter a market themselves. So I think probably one of the best signs of an imminent Apple Store will be when Apple start screwing resellers. At the moment the only premium reseller in Ireland is CompuB, soon to be joined by iConnect. I can't see Apple wanting to share Grafton Street with CompuB, so when the time comes I'd expect them to start suffering inventory shortages, etc. Of course, the fact that CompuB opened on Grafton Street in the first place suggests Apple aren't in any rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

As much as they need them, Apple don't like resellers and make life very difficult for them, especially when they are planning to enter a market themselves. So I think probably one of the best signs of an imminent Apple Store will be when Apple start screwing resellers. At the moment the only premium reseller in Ireland is CompuB, soon to be joined by iConnect. I can't see Apple wanting to share Grafton Street with CompuB, so when the time comes I'd expect them to start suffering inventory shortages, etc. Of course, the fact that CompuB opened on Grafton Street in the first place suggests Apple aren't in any rush.

I'm an apple fan but I wouldn't wish being an Apple reseller on my worst enemy. Unless you have some other business or understand you can only milk it temporarily don't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭mad m

CompuB would be obsolete if Apple opened a store.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

Piliger wrote: »
    Opening a genuine Apple store here has being hampered for years by old distribution contracts with an existing 'entity' in Glanmire, in Cork, who are 'an issue' .... eh, I heard from a guy in a pub ! ......... :cool:

At some point after Apple Computer set up in Cork in the 1980s they entered into an exclusive distribution agreement with Spectra (the family-run photo developers that used to have a photography shop on Grafton Street). I'm not sure precisely what happened with regard to that, but I know that agreement tied Apple Retail's hands with regard to opening Apple-branded stores in Ireland for a long number of years. I think Spectra went out of business a few years back though (?) which may have coincided with CompuB's arrival on the scene (?).

Interestingly, Apple recently announced their new head of Retail - perhaps her appointment will mark a welcome change with regard to Apple Retail's presence in the Irish Market:

Apple Hires Burberry CEO Angela Ahrendts To Take Control Of Apple Stores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

I did an interview with CompuB a few years ago before their major expansion. I was told that they were assured by Apple that they had no current or forseeable plans for Ireland which is why they decided to expand. The owner would not have invested significantly if he even thought for a second that Apple were going to set up shop.

I do believe they will come eventually but not for a while.

Advertisement