Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room rented in a house

Options
  • 30-10-2013 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭

How many nights a month do you all think is too many for someone to have someone staying?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭FurQyou

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

How many nights a month do you all think is too many for someone to have someone staying?

If its every month not many at all two three

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

There is a girl in this house that has either had a friend staying over, her boyfriend or friends staying on the couch for 19nights in the past month. Getting really annoyed over it now.

There is a girl in this house that has either had a friend staying over, her boyfriend or friends staying on the couch for 19nights in the past month. Getting really annoyed over it now.

Is it a lodging house you have. You need to say it to her

Is it a lodging house you have. You need to say it to her

If by that you mean that she has just rented a room then yes it is. Been letting rooms for 6 years and this is the first time that I've ever had an issue with someone renting. She is very inconsiderate of others with regards to the noise her night time 'activities' have on the others who live here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

That's taking the piss, esp if she never asked beforehand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If by that you mean that she has just rented a room then yes it is. Been letting rooms for 6 years and this is the first time that I've ever had an issue with someone renting. She is very inconsiderate of others with regards to the noise her night time 'activities' have on the others who live here.

So do you own the property and let out rooms in it? Or do you both rent rooms in the same property? Either way, say it to her that it's not on, but if it's the former, turf her out asap.

In my mind, I'm be annoyed enough at guests staying over constantly, but if I was hearing shagging noises every night, I'd lose the rag entirely.

I rent the rooms out. Been at it 6 years and this is the first 'real' issue as such. She spun such a sob story when she came to view and muggins here fell for it.

I rent the rooms out. Been at it 6 years and this is the first 'real' issue as such. She spun such a sob story when she came to view and muggins here fell for it.

Starting with a sob story ... no thank you ... its one after the other after that

Starting with a sob story ... no thank you ... its one after the other after that

Think she was at the heart of the sob story and not for the reason(s) she told me.

• Advertisement

Think she was at the heart of the sob story and not for the reason(s) she told me.

Marching orders ..

How many days notice should I give if I go down this road? This is just renting a room in a private house, no lease or anything like that.

How many days notice should I give if I go down this road? This is just renting a room in a private house, no lease or anything like that.

I don't think anything more than 24hrs if in your own home. But double check before you do. I'd first say no more guests see how that goes. But knowing the nature of your tenant or having previous similar experience is say it will roll on.

I don't mind a boyfriend as such as that is normal but not tht he is over 5 times a week. It really is the friends staying over bit that is really getting to me as they can be very loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭conorhal

Tell her that she doesn't live in a squat. If she wants a visitor to stay over they have to sleep in her room, there is no way I'd tollerate having to tiptoe around the sleeping bodies of strangers in the common areas of the house while I'm getting ready for work, that's utterly unacceptable.
    As for visitors in general, I hold to the old adage that they are like fish, after three days they begin to stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Thats also 19 days a month of electricity, hot water, so on and so forth. I'd also point that out to her...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Just give her notice that you want her to leave, that's completely unreasonable on her part.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I wouldnt have an issue with her bf staying over once, even twice, a week provided they remain in her room and the rest of the house cant hear them.

Having people staying on the living room couch is totally unacceptable; maybe once in a blue moon if a friend is staying and its arranged well in advance, but no way would that be a regular occurrence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

The common areas of the house are for the use of all and it is unfair to have someone conked out on the couch. Taking advantage of everyone else. Get rid of her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I don't think anything more than 24hrs if in your own home. But double check before you do. I'd first say no more guests see how that goes. But knowing the nature of your tenant or having previous similar experience is say it will roll on.

Op should have made the rules clear, but they can still clear that up,
    The person effectively has no rights, so they can either agree or pack up.
    24hrs is all the notice you need to give.

I would go with the no guests message, I wouldnt even want partners over all the time unless they were discreet about their presence, but if a couple starts taking over at the expense of other paying people, then feck that.

I used to let rooms, didnt mind a known partner over, but not every tom dick and harry, not guests having baths and showers and running up the bills, certainly not turning on the heating and not staying when the person paying for the room was not present. Keyholder leaves, guest leaves. No keys given away, anyone that isnt paying tries to enter the property with a key I did not give, take key off them, have a word with the person paying for the room,

Best if you tell people the rules at the start, if they dont like them, fine, they can complain away to whoever they like, but thats better than people moving in and thinking there are not any rules.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I hope it is a leather couch. If it is a fabric one it will soon start to smell of stale sweat given how often it has been used as a bed.

Wireless I would suggest laying down the law with her. Tell her no visitors and if things don't improve then ask her to leave (assuming you are the owner occupier).
    If she is under a licensee agreement then no notice is necessary but in the interests of fairness you sure give her a chance to find alternative accommodation.
    Also (if you are the owner occupier) you can just ask her friends to leave at any time so no need to put up with them.

Personally I would not mind a partner staying over 2 nights per week but would expect that the tenant would be with them for 2 nights also. I would also expect the partner to be friendly and courteous towards the other tenants in the house.

cerastes wrote: »
    Op should have made the rules clear, but they can still clear that up,
    The person effectively has no rights, so they can either agree or pack up.
    24hrs is all the notice you need to give.

I would go with the no guests message, I wouldnt even want partners over all the time unless they were discreet about their presence, but if a couple starts taking over at the expense of other paying people, then feck that.

I used to let rooms, didnt mind a known partner over, but not every tom dick and harry, not guests having baths and showers and running up the bills, certainly not turning on the heating and not staying when the person paying for the room was not present. Keyholder leaves, guest leaves. No keys given away, anyone that isnt paying tries to enter the property with a key I did not give, take key off them, have a word with the person paying for the room,

Best if you tell people the rules at the start, if they dont like them, fine, they can complain away to whoever they like, but thats better than people moving in and thinking there are not any rules.

I made it all clear to her at the start that this was a quiet house and one that respects the others that live here in relation to noise etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

conorhal wrote: »
    Tell her that she doesn't live in a squat. If she wants a visitor to stay over they have to sleep in her room, there is no way I'd tollerate having to tiptoe around the sleeping bodies of strangers in the common areas of the house while I'm getting ready for work, that's utterly unacceptable.
    As for visitors in general, I hold to the old adage that they are like fish, after three days they begin to stink.
    I made it all clear to her at the start that this was a quiet house and one that respects the others that live here in relation to noise etc.

Problem with people like this is, if they are not specifically told each thing that should be obvious, in my experience they will automatically take that as meaning it is allowed, things people should take for granted like clean up after yourself etc, rinse down the shower, making noise at all hours.

I couldnt even have accepted friends kipping on the couch as at the time, other people were staying and paying

Advertisement