Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC broadband speeds

Options
  • 30-10-2013 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I just upgraded to 120mb with UPC.
    I'm getting 122mb on a wired connection but on wireless I'm getting between 15-40mb.
    I'm living in Riverview, Knockboy. Can anyone out there give their speeds ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

On wireless your always going to get a lower speed then your wired

I am around 2m from my UPC box and i am getting 60MB on wireless from 100MB

A lot will have to do with your wireless card in your laptop, the amount of things on the WIFI in your house EG laptops, smartphones, games consoles and so on will lower the speed.

Other then that your best bet is to turn it on and off again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

On wireless your always going to get a lower speed then your wired

I am around 2m from my UPC box and i am getting 60MB on wireless from 100MB

A lot will have to do with your wireless card in your laptop, the amount of things on the WIFI in your house EG laptops, smartphones, games consoles and so on will lower the speed.

Other then that your best bet is to turn it on and off again

Yeah I know about the wired vs wireless. Come to think of it I have tablet, phone, ps3 and laptop turned on at same time on wireless (that wouldn't help :o).
    It's nuts to think that not so long ago I had 56k dial up and now look where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

40mb is the max Wireless speed through that UPC box without an N wireless card.

UPC salesperson let that one slip.

Media999 wrote: »

Ahhh makes some sense now. How do I fix that issue. Is the N wireless card down to the devices or the router ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

I live by the cleaboy and had issues the last few days with it. Rang up they told me that I would only get about 65 to 70mb which the most i did get was 73 but if I plug the laptop in I got 88mb. I was told if I am downloading when its finished to put it on a memory stick because that slows it down too. they were right because when the download was finished I could only get 55mb but when I put them on a memory stick I got 70mb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Media999 wrote: »

Madia999 tell me this why am i get 70MB with UPC ? Of wait my 2 year old macbook card is a wireless N :rolleyes:

Must new laptops have a wireless N card ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

The ordinary upc routers dont have wireless N but nearly all laptops and pc's do these days, its stupid really.

If you want wireless N speeds you'll have to change your router to a high speed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

This is on an iPad 2. At the very extreme of our wifi (about 15 metres away) Sweet.:) We get 106 Megs wired.

7upfree wrote: »
    This is on an iPad 2. At the very extreme of our wifi (about 15 metres away) Sweet.:) We get 106 Megs wired.

Yea on my ipad mini I'm getting on average 38-44mb. I read the thread on UPC router. I wonder if I get a better wireless router will that help. I mean 40mb on wireless is still great but I WANT MOAR :D

Not 100% on this but as far as i know new UPC black modem is set to mixed G + N as default. If someone connects with a G connection it bumps the whole wireless down to G so no one will get more than 40.

Its all to do with the Device rather than the router.

If you go into router and force it to only N it will just disconnect all the older devices.

Id have to Experiment to give a 100% answer but havent the gear here. From what you are saying that seems to be the case.

• Advertisement

Spoke to a UPC engineer. He said to try InSIDDer program on laptop and see what other routers are on the same channel as mine. If they are both on same channel change my router to a different channel. I'll try it later

Spoke to a UPC engineer. He said to try InSIDDer program on laptop and see what other routers are on the same channel as mine. If they are both on same channel change my router to a different channel. I'll try it later

Not gonna make a difference. Nothing to do with other people.

App on android called "Wifi Analyzer" does the same thing and good to have at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JosephPatrick

On the Cisco 3925 if you go into the wireless settings and change the "Channel Width" to "Wide 40mhz" it significantly improves the throughput to wireless N enabled devices. (Up to 300Mbps if the card supports it)

I have a PC connected with a wireless card in an adjacent room and it keeps a steady 150Mbps connection to the router (previously it maxed out at 72Mbps)
    It might be worth enabling it and testing if it makes any difference. There is also some older "g" devices on the network and I've had no issues with any of them.

I'm not sure if there is a comparable setting on the Horizon box (or if there is any kind if similar interface) but it might be worth having a good root around for it in case.

yOv6yj0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

180m is suposed to be 200m now with upgraded speed ,getting 18meg a sec in JDownloader ,so very happy with it.
    its wired off course ,i only use phone wireless

On the Cisco 3925 if you go into the wireless settings and change the "Channel Width" to "Wide 40mhz" it significantly improves the throughput to wireless N enabled devices. (Up to 300Mbps if the card supports it)

I have a PC connected with a wireless card in an adjacent room and it keeps a steady 150Mbps connection to the router (previously it maxed out at 72Mbps)
    It might be worth enabling it and testing if it makes any difference. There is also some older "g" devices on the network and I've had no issues with any of them.

I'm not sure if there is a comparable setting on the Horizon box (or if there is any kind if similar interface) but it might be worth having a good root around for it in case.

yOv6yj0.jpg

Tried that but it didn't make any difference :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

3000579632.png

Wired with speedtest.net

3070670622.png

Wired with UPC speedtest

uyANPnb.jpg

Wireless on Ipad speedtest.net

sWBKo98.png

:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Your speeds will drop when you are using TV, multiple devices on the network (tablets etc), multi room etc. If all services are stopped / reduced, you will get a very strong speed.

Sully wrote: »
    Your speeds will drop when you are using TV, multiple devices on the network (tablets etc), multi room etc. If all services are stopped / reduced, you will get a very strong speed.

The thing is I dont have TV. I have also turned off wireless on all other devices and just tested one beside the router, but no difference in speeds.
    There is one of the lights on the router orange, I will report back when I know which light it is.

Advertisement