Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6hrs to spare in Limerick

• 30-10-2013 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭

Need to travel down for some work on Friday, thinking of bringing the family as the crew are on mid-term.
    Any suggestions for MrsBeepBeep and a 9 and 10 yr old to do from 10am to 4pm?

Ta very much in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Been a while since I had a 9 or 10 yo but what about The Hunt Museum or King John's Castle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

There's bowling/amusements/Supermacs on the Ennis Road.

magma69 wrote: »
    There's bowling/amusements/Supermacs on the Ennis Road.

And a cinema across the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Bunratty Castle and Folk Park.

Approx 10 mins outside Limerick on road to Shannon Airport.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Thanks for the ideas so far, thinking more along the lines of the museum and the castle, something unique to Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Bunratty Castle and Folk Park.

Approx 10 mins outside Limerick on road to Shannon Airport.:)

How far would that be from the Raheen side?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Thanks for the ideas so far, thinking more along the lines of the museum and the castle, something unique to Limerick.

Yes, have visited both very interesting. In addition they are in the city centre within walking distance of shops and restaurants.

Enjoy your visit.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

+1 on the castle, couple of friends from England visited it a fortnight ago and were particularly impressed with it and the minting a coin yourself bit.

If you use the tunnel (tolled) about 20mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

10 minutes via the tunnel. But there are road works and Bunratty junction so might take a little linger. You need to go to the next junction, detour is signposted.

• Advertisement

About 10 mins via the tunnel.

It is worth considering , visiting the folk park will kill 3/4 hours.It is very interesting . I brought family there on a visit from UK a couple of years ago.My nieces now age 9 & 7 still talk about it

Lunch can be had in Durty Nelly's. Meadows and Byrne have a small shopping centre and cafe across the road from Bunratty Castle.

Ideally it would be nice to combine King John's Castle with a visit to Bunratty. I am not sure the Hunt Museum will keep kids entertained long enough.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

About 10 mins via the tunnel.

It is worth considering , visiting the folk park will kill 3/4 hours.It is very interesting . I brought family there on a visit from UK a couple of years ago.My nieces now age 9 & 7 still talk about it

Lunch can be had in Durty Nelly's. Meadows and Byrne have a small shopping centre and cafe across the road from Bunratty Castle.

Ideally it would be nice to combine King John's Castle with a visit to Bunratty. I am not sure the Hunt Museum will keep kids entertained long enough.:)

Hunt Museum do a checklist thing for kids and that keeps them interested for quite a while. Bunratty or King Johns would be better to use the time.
    If they stay in town, they might try the new build a bear shop on mallow street, if they haven't done something like that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

Kings John's Castle just re-opened after a year long refurbishment. It wouldn't have interested me normally as it was a disaster of a tourist attraction up to now but the same company who completed the Titanic Exhibit in Belfast did the work in King John's Castle too here and so far it's getting very good reviews on Tripadvisor http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g186621-d191032-Reviews-King_John_s_Castle-Limerick_County_Limerick.html

Also here's a link to 50 things to do in Limerick from the limerick.ie website (run by the Council)

http://www.limerick.ie/visiting/thingstodo/50thingstodo/

You can forget rubbish like bowling and amusements as these are juvenile activities, not family friendly and certainly not unique to Limerick. Enjoy your visit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd recommend a visit to St. Mary's (C.O.I.) Cathedral. Near the Hunt Museum, and King John's Castle.

I'd recommend a visit to St. Mary's (C.O.I.) Cathedral. Near the Hunt Museum, and King John's Castle.

Good idea. St. Mary's Cathedral is a fascinating place. Certainly by visiting all 3 places which are within walking distance of each other should fill the day.
    There is also a cafe restaurant in The Hunt Museum. To kill any time left a little retail therapy in nearby BT's may complete the day:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

The Art Gallery up by People's Park is great and free, The Museum in City Hall is also free but meh, though it does waste a few minutes if you are going into St. Mary's Cathedral too, the Cathedral sometimes has lunchtime concerts.
    You have to pay in to both the Hunt and the Castle both are entertaining.
    Ormson house and creative limerick are both on Patrick Street, on the way from the city centre to the hunt, they might have something going on in them.

So what is the feedback?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: The poster in the OP will have been and gone by now so thread is being closed. Thanks to all who gave genuine suggestions, and also thanks to anyone who gave suggestions that appeared to be attempts at a wind up as it helps us mods notice wums.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement