Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lentil Ideas

Options
  • 30-10-2013 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just looking for a few ideas for lentils...

I've used lentils in Bolognese and Chili's as a substitute for meat, also have come across a very tasty Tikka Masala recipe.

But I'm really struggling to find dishes, and when I do find one there tends to be lots of ingredients that are out of reach or difficult to get.

What are ye're lentil dishes, I'm NOT a Vegetarian or Vegan so the recipes can include meat :D

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A French housemate I had used to make something like this

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/4679751/Lentil-and-bacon-salad-with-poached-egg.html

basically green/puy lentils, with bacon served with a vinaigrette and a poached (or fried) egg. It was really very tasty

Another recipe I have yet to make myself but is on my list is the Sausage and Lentil bowl about half way down this page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Last week I tried a red lentil dahl. I cheated though as I bought the spice mix in a farmer's market. Next time I'll make my own though. It was really nice, but I find with lentils, that when they're cooked you need to server them then. I left mine to re-heat later and they had dried up quite a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I cook lentils sometimes and put lots of finely chopped salady bits through them, celery, apple, cucumber, whatever you like yourself and then a bit of French dressing over it. makes a great and easy lunch to take to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have a big pot of dahl on the go as I type.

This recipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I do garlic and bacon lentils to eat with duck.

Loads of different Dahls. yummo.

You can make hummus with lentils instead of chickpeas. nice as a dip or in a wrap.

Lentils with rice and onions (kinda middle-eastern... loads of online recipies for this, usually has cinnamon etc in there).

Lentil and sausage casserole for when I couldn't be bothered with food shopping. That's just onion,garlic&chilli sweated, throw in a tin of lentils, tin of tomatos and chuck in a few seared sausages. It can take various flavours then. Sometimes herbs (thyme or basil), sometimes I go more spanish with smoked paprika and loads of black pepper. Into the oven in a casserole dish for 40 mins. Eat mopped up with garlic bread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

pwurple wrote: »
    I do garlic and bacon lentils to eat with duck.

Yum, I had this in a restaurant one night, the duck was all crispy and placed on top of a bed of lentils with some kind of sticky, balsamic I think, reduction on top. It was really really good.

Must try to recreate it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I have a big pot of dahl on the go as I type.

This recipe.

that looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Loire wrote: »
    that looks great!

It is a very good recipe, just reduce the water content.
    I use butternut Squash in place of the pumpkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Eh.....does anyone else, or just me, find that lentils give you loads of gas out the other end I mean!

Sorry if TMI, but I put red lentils (no soaking required ones) into a carrot and cumin soup to bulk it out. Now I did soak the lentils anyway, and rinsed them before adding to the soup.

But OMG, i was like hurricane Charlie next day.

I won't be eating lentils ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Look up Locatelli's fish with lentils recipe, it's dead easy and I can say if you get decent fresh vegetables and herbs and a decent piece of white fish, it's easy to create what he is serving in his michelin star London restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Warm puy lentil salad - serves 2

80g puy lentils (rinsed and then cooked with a chicken or vegetable stock cube)
    2 tomatoes - diced
    1/2 red onion - finely diced
    small bunch of coriander, chopped.
    4 tsp lemon juice
    4 tsp olive oil.
    Salt and pepper.

Cook the lentils, drain well and stir in the remaining ingredients. Check the seasoning, I often find that I only need to add pepper as the lentils have been cooked in stock.

Serve warm with grilled salmon or quorn sausages.

Delia does a nice lentil and sausage one-pot too http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/one-pot-meals/sausages-with-puy-lentils.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

This lentil balls dish is really nice and takes no time to knock up: http://thestonesoup.com/blog/2011/08/8-unusual-sources-of-veggie-protein-a-lentil-balls-recipe/#
    I didn't use a can of lentils, I cooked 120g of these dry ones to make about 250g cooked: Tesco Lentilles Vertes
    Also, I used a can of Mutti Pizza Sauce instead of passata: http://www.foodzone.com.sg/shop/images/28pizzasauce_mutti.jpg

Advertisement