Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riots in Eyre Square

Options
  • 30-10-2013 10:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

Enda Cunningham ‏@endacunningham 30m
    Serious trouble in Eyre Square tonight with rioting students. Garda reinforcements, ambulances etc called. Bottles, glasses being thrown
    Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand

Whats going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Your copy/paste is not strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Friend just got on the bus in town. Gardai arrived after the street was blocked at Richardsons. Bottles were thrown and a girl was hit in the face and taken off in an ambulance. There was mutterings of 'post match' but nothing that they saw first hand.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Leitrim day is a possibility i think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

biko wrote: »
    Your copy/paste is not strong.

I know.

But I don't care.

I saw a couple of muppets walking down towards Eyre Square earlier in Leitrim jersies, was wondering where they were heading off to.
    Makes sense now given it's apparently 'Leitrim Day', what kind of idiots start these and what kind of self respecting adults jump on board.

Time a no nonsense approach to these events was taken when trouble ensues, start removing them from their college courses due to the fact that they get barred from the city.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

Leitrim Day? Oh ffs Donegal Tuesday is one thing but Leitrim Day? Taking the fcuking piss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

Leitrim day? Is that like that stupid Donegal Tuesday? What they need is is a good crack over the head with a Garda baton if they are throwing bottles and blocking streets. What comes over some people is beyond me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Yes, Leitrim day has become a 'thing' here, spawn of Donegal tuesday i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

waits patiently for videos and pics to surface

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Saw a few out for Leitrim day last year I think it was, but it wasn't that big an event. Not in the hapenny place with Donegal Tues anyway

Whatever about tonight, tomorrow will be mayhem. Love my thurs nights but will be giving this one a miss I'd say, the clubs are insanely packed, impossible get a drink and I dunno is it the fancy dress or whatever but there seems to be way more acting the eejit in general, way more than any other night I've seen. Give me Rag week, Arthurs day (which I love) over this night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

Lapin wrote: »
    rioting students.
    Whats going on?

rag week

Surely the organizers of Leitrim day know that the organizers of Donegal day were met with some extremely hefty fines. Hopefully whoever organized Leitrim day will receive stronger punishments, from both the Gardaí and their student unions, if they attend college

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

what's Leitrim Day, or Donegal day for that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

An excuse for all the students to wear GAA jerseys and get sloshed.. Donegal tuesday has been around a while..takes place during rag week, everyone wears a Donegal jersey on said Tuesday and gets drunk..thats it really! I'm assuming Leitrim day is preeety much the same deal!

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    An excuse for all the students to wear GAA jerseys and get sloshed.. Donegal tuesday has been around a while..takes place during rag week, everyone wears a Donegal jersey on said Tuesday and gets drunk..thats it really! I'm assuming Leitrim day is preeety much the same deal!

It's only the last 2 years it's been huge I think!

Hole in the wall absolutely cleans up for it, bus loads coming down from Donegal, queue outside at 9.30! Think they even organised an event for it via the book which caused a bit of a stir

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

yeah I was in college for the birth of it..wasn't as big then but its gained ground in the last couple of years alright

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

It's the 4th year it's been on now. In fairness the first 2 years were just the Leitrim people in Galway getting together to go drinking(no more then 100 people tops) and were generally hassle free.
    It really snowballed the last 2 years though, over 600 people clicked attending on the event page on facebook which is just ridiculous. Leitrim people came down from colleges in Sligo, Dublin, Letterkenny and so on which i really don't understand.

Edit: I notice the event page for it has been taken down already, not a good sign.

It's the 4th year it's been on now. In fairness the first 2 years were just the Leitrim people in Galway getting together to go drinking(no more then 100 people tops) and were generally hassle free.
    It really snowballed the last 2 years though, over 600 people clicked attending on the event page on facebook which is just ridiculous. Leitrim people came down from colleges in Sligo, Dublin, Letterkenny and so on which i really don't understand.

Ah right that explains it!

Remember about two years ago it was pure low key only for I was out I wouldn't have known about it!

^^^ was prob too drunk remember early years of Donegal Tues. No avoiding it last year or year before, was dragged to the hole myself at 12 and couldn't get in was full :D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Whats to celebrate about Leitrim other than getting out of it for a day. The county should be done away with and just amalgamated into Sligo and Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

All the Galwegians should go to Leitrim, go wild and turn the place into a sh##eheap...oh wait.
    Sorry, my bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

woodoo wrote: »
    Whats to celebrate about Leitrim other than getting out of it for a day. The county should be done away with and just amalgamated into Sligo and Cavan

Have you even been to Leitrim? Judging by your ignorant comment I'd say not...

A little irrelevant but anyway, I remember last year when Donegal had won the All-Ireland, anyone in NUIG then will know that it was Donegal Day everyday for most of the year. I remember one particular lad I knew to see in my course, he wore the same jersey everyday for the week they won it, this included a gym session midweek. Now I'm not saying he washed it but... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

All the Galwegians should go to Leitrim, go wild and turn the place into a sh##eheap...oh wait.
    Sorry, my bad

Another ignorant and ill informed comment from someone who never set foot in the place. I thought this thread was about a riot in Galway?

woodoo wrote: »

Thats a scandalous thing to say.

What did the people of Sligo and Cavan ever do to deserve that ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Feral Leitrimites attack Galway. All good, the three of them would have been lonely at home.

I was up in Leitrim for my Debs night in Carrick, the Landmark I think if was called? The damage that was done that night probably excuses the tomfoolery that went on in Galway courtesy of Leitremees and Leitremettes tonight. That said, I've yet to hear the full details of tonight's shenanigans.

Gaillimh Abú '98 agus '01.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

dunno if it's just 'cos I'm getting old but the standard of NUIG student seems to have dropped a lot in the last few years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Was getting a bus from town and there was lots of twats around. I don't think they were from Leitrim and they weren't students. I'm nearly sure they were from Manchester as they were singing Yaya Toure while smashing glasses:confused:

loveBBhate wrote: »

Gaillimh Abú '25, '34, '38, '56, '64, '65, '66, '98 agus '01.

Fixed ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 GigaBaxter

Leitrim is objectively the worst county in Ireland.

Prove me wrong.

Advertisement